Spoilers The Orville: New Horizons Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Jun 2, 2022.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a big jump after last week's 'bottle' episode.

Also, Bruce Boxleitner! lol

Commander Troi and Ghel like this.
  2. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the stepping away from humor is kind of appropriate given what's change over all. You don't crack jokes in the middle of an existential crisis.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My bad. I guessed I mixed up this ep with the other Avis episode which is a two parter.

Thanks

4. Romulan_spy

FYI, Seth has released his first novella for The Orville, "Sympathy for the devil".

[​IMG]

Commander Troi and dupersuper like this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed this one much more than last week's episode.

The generic alien market from every sci-fi show and movie ever, made it's appearance. The car chase CG was iffy at best. But the story was good.

Commander Troi, Ghel and Amaris like this.
  6. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best episode of the season, but still inferior to most of the two preceding seasons imho.

The budget is bigger, of course, but the lack of humour is really trying. Also, a few interesting ideas (most notably Ed’s and Tleya’s daughter, with no doubt will be back), but very predictable episode. The longer running times are not helping, a lot of scenes come off as unnecessarily pandering, also that abortion side plot was really “just there”, not really taking any stance, a single line from t’leya would have been sufficient.
    Similarly, the part about election manipulation is very relevant to our world and especially what we’ll face in a few years, yet it was underdeveloped, just there.

I liked the union president and liked a lot the older krill chancellor, a pity he’s gone. The senator seemed to be just an extra, though.

Something odd I noticed: how come that at t’leya rallies there were no (or very very few?) female krills? Even at the market the only one I could see were the dancers and the only other ones we got were in speaking roles.

Loved the music, especially the landing piece.

Velocity likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was surprised the Krill had a democracy.

8. Romulan_spy

I forgot to mention the western saloon scene. I thought that scene added some nice levity. And it was pretty funny when Isaac came in wearing the big cowboy hat. It was also cute when Mercer and Kelly were still in their western outfits when they are talking to the admiral and then later the admiral tells Mercer that he knew they were drunk. Personally, I feel that humor is fine for the show. I don't think overt in your face comedy would work, considering the serious subject matter of many of the episodes. I certainly would not want a return to the "family guy" style humor of early S1. I think the show should be generally serious but with some light humor moments to break the tension. Just my opinion.

9. Romulan_spy

Yeah. Considering that the Krill are religious fundamentalist, one might assume that they would be a straight up theocracy with an unelected religious leader as the head of state. But I think Iran has elections even though they are a religious fundamentalist country. So it is not unheard of it.

Commander Troi and Skipper like this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a mention of a council of Clerics who have the final decision.

11. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what Seth is trying to say having the moderate Krill blatantly throw Democracy to the curb.

I was wondering how much was it about Seth trying to do his Trump election show (this was delayed a long time after all) versus the idea that the Krill were a lot more nuanced than Captain Mercer understood them to be.

Commander Troi and Romulan_spy like this.
  12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I also now know what Abraham Lincoln would look like if he were a blue alien and president of the Planetary Union.

13. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its consistent with how the krill have been portrayed: they can be sensible and even likeable guys until something awakens their religious fanaticism. Not unlike some real-world people, actually.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is something I believe we have long been expecting.

15. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems to me more a electoral theocratic
    dictatorship. Like Iran, as someone already said. Or the Vatican if you prefer.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to this site that'll be out in mid-July and ties in directly with the eighth episode of this season.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  17. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Why are the commercials so much louder than the show? I have to hit Mute at every commercial break because the commercials are so LOUD!

Romulan_spy likes this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because they want you to notice so you'll BUY STUFF!!!

jackoverfull and Romulan_spy like this.
  19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode but I don't think we needed that anti-abortion message. That seemed too much and a bit on the nose.
    I like that they showed that Mercer's decision to release her wasn't the best one. Because so he lost his daughter and the alliance to the Krill. Usually in these shows the captain is infallible and always makes the right choice.

So they have aliens playing Annie now? That's just wrong. :)

Commander Troi and Romulan_spy like this.
  20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Kid sings really well.

Turtletrekker and Commander Troi like this.