The Orville is Overrated Nostalgic Trek Fans

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Styleset, Jan 15, 2019.

1. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm. Well, given my feelings regarding Disco... I might have to give Orville a go! I watched the first episode and was a bit ho-hum on it. Looks like it's worth another crack.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

A good friend of mine, a huge Trek and Star Wars fan, refuses to watch The Orville simply because he disagrees with Seth’s political leanings. I told him that if he is going to use that as a yardstick, then he should probably burn his movie collection and throw his TV in the trash. You can count the number of conservatives in Hollywood on one hand.

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I watch both, I like both, warts and all.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Try PMing one of the forums moderators and requesting a correction. Can't hurt.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought about that but it sounded like work. :D

6. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I agree with you. I mean . . . I watch "The Orville". I like it. Somewhat. But I don't think it is no where as good as any of the Trek shows . . . including "Enterprise", which I have harbored a low opinion of for years.

PiotrB and fireproof78 like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're usually good about that, I've done it several times and they pretty much always fixed the titles for me. I have the bad habit of forgetting to reread things before I post them.

8. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I've noticed something similar with Discovery's fans and the rest of the franchise. They seem incapable of defending it on it's own merits, they just tear down the other series.

CaptainMurdock and Serveaux like this.
  9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably not until they get promoted to guest star status. They're only co-stars in season 1, in other words, one step above background extra. Besides, in ten years Stargate never gave us an episode for Walter or Sgt. Siler.
    What is there to tell? A console blew up in her face, we see that happening dozens of times in a typical season of Star Trek.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There's no reason to draw the audience a map concerning every incident, motivation and thought of everyone in the show - in fact, it's infuriating when writers do that. One of the things about many CBS procedurals - and STD is sort of one - is that there is no subtext. Every reference and every joke must be explained.

We see the redhead aboard the bridge of the Shenzhou. Big battle, many injuries. Later - surprise - we see her again, now with some kind of prothesis attached, all grim and apparently angry at Burnham. For gods sake that paints all the picture necessary.

The Wormhole and BillJ like this.
  11. Serveaux

Well, that cuts several directions politically and in terms of social consciousness. Seth has used jokes about gender on his animated shows and made comments that offend some folks I know. One of them likes what she hears about The Orville but just can't watch MacFarlane.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah that's all pretty obvious, I was just talking about her time on the Shenzhou with both Saru and Burnham.
    The one I'm most interested in is Airiam, the writers can't even seem to decide if she is a human or an alien.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would but no one listens. It's like enjoyment is subjective or something ;)

14. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

I think you might be forgetting the episode that was "Spock's Brain". Enterprise was bad but never that level bad. :hugegrin:

PiotrB, Nyotarules and fireproof78 like this.
  15. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

I think it's because they're perceived as being "in competition" with each other. I know all shows are effectively competing with all others, but Discovery and Orville are both directly targeting the Trek audience albeit with quite different approaches. So since people see them as directly competing with each other, many people think that one or the other has to "win" and the best way to do that is to put down the other show.

Personally I ended up enjoying both shows and will be continuing to watch them. Neither is perfect - Orville is a bit more light-weight than I'd like (especially when dealing with some of the more serious issues they touched on) and much of the humour felt forced. But it's an enjoyable show to watch overall. Discovery was a bit darker than I generally like and I struggled to get into it at first. After the mirror universe reveal some of the issues I had made more sense to me but I still struggle to fit it into the Trek timeline (how can a universe this dark and conflicted turn into the much lighter and happier universe in just 10 years). Once I stopped trying to make it fit and just viewed it as a stand alone show I enjoyed it more (although I'm still not sold on the character of Michael).

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I might well align with many if not most of MacFarlane's political views - it's just him I find irritating. I have a similar foible with Jim Carrey - except for Man on the Moon.

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm up to the Charlize Theron episode. I *think* I'm sold. Really enjoying the vibe of the show.

18. Serveaux

That one was my favorite last year.

BillJ likes this.
  19. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Have seen it now....did very little for me....felt like a flat soda with no fizz.
    Sorry about that...well some of it was ok and clever...but nah....felt like a worn out concept from the start....
    Hope it will be more enjoyable in season 2....
    But it is really recycling 80/90's stuff in a kinda flat way....
    It is ok as light entertainment...and I am often tempted to fast forward scenes!

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It definitely isn't for everyone, nothing is. But it sounds like you gave it a fair shot.

Qonundrum likes this.