The NON-Starfleet costumes. Discuss...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Blue Squadron, Feb 11, 2020.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with people wearing contemporary clothes in a futuristic setting. I'm a little sick of the idea that this is somehow lazy or unimaginative. Likewise, I don't see how having people walking around in ill-fitting jumpsuits somehow qualifies as "imagination."

SolarisOne, BillJ, Kzinti and 4 others like this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the preview for episode 4 and in the photos that have been released, Picard is wearing a
    very 20th-century looking 'safari' getup.
    It looks a little anachronistic to me.

Kor

Crewman6 likes this.
  3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

He thought they'd be shooting a Duran Duran video.

4. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Captain Captain

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    I accept that — I said at the start that I know folks will, and can, and do have different opinions on this.

I’m not interested in spandex and lycra or super-fitted and sleek. Clothes should be allowed to look casual or comfortable or practical or whatever and I would be the first to accept that the TOS and TNG era civvies were over-stylised. That’s *not* what I’m looking for. As someone said above, when a character looks like they’ve just stepped straight out of JC Penney but it’s meant to be set well over three hundred years in the future, then it’s just a glaring anachronism.

Look at the safari outfit: if a current navy admiral retired, then, yes, I can imagine him or her having a tendancy towards a traditional or conservative dress sense; that may mean a style and look as old as, say, 70 years if they harked back to the 1950s, or even over a hundred years if they went back to a tailored style of suit from the 1920s or 1900s — but the equivalent to Picard’s contemporary JC Penney look would be for our retired admiral to choose to wear styles dating way back to 1650, which is within the lifetimes of the Pilgrim Fathers...! That’s not realistic and, to me, is jarringly anachronistic.

I like a lot of the clothes from Picard but I’m afraid that, to me, some of the choices do seem lazy or simply not well thought through. It would have been perfectly possibly to do some broadly similar things but without them shouting out that they were late-20th or early-21st Century styles.

It’s entirely possible that Stewart himself was a driving force behind a number of these “creative choices” for the costuming (and we may yet learn more about this over time) but, for me, some of those choices just don’t work.

Longinus likes this.
  5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Just about every conceivable type of fashion has already been done in the last four centuries of human development.

Other than there being new types of Fabrics that we aren't aware of yet, I can't see anything being out of place in the future depictions of Star Trek clothing.

People are going to wear what they like and what feels comfortable.
    :shrug:

Jean-Luc is very much an archaeologist at heart, so to me some version of a Safari Outfit is more than apropos as his choice.

SolarisOne, antinoos and SJGardner like this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

everyone should wear MC Hammer pants in the 25th century

Crewman6 and The Old Mixer like this.
  7. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am 100% sure you are wrong. Every era has though that they were the pinnacle of development. It was never so. Fashion has always evolved than to assume that it would stop doing so now is blatantly absurd.

Crewman6 likes this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Picard tells us that 21st century fashion became popular again at the end of the 24th century. Works for me.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

In to what?
    I believe with several thousand years of clothing history behind us, it's gonna be more than a bit tough to come up with something that hasn't already been done in some 'fashion'.
    ;)

10. Longinus

That your imagination sucks doesn't mean it won't happen. It is completely absurd to assume that in all the thousands of years of human history we now have happened to reach some fashion perfection. In couple of decades people will be laughing at the clothes we are wearing today.

11. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

OK then ...
    heh ...
    My imagination is quite well developed, thank you very much.
    (and my multitude of posts around here have certainly have proven that over the last 20 years) :whistle:

But the point here is that there's only just so many ways one can drape materials over the human form and still call it 'clothing'.

As we have come from Bearskin Wraps on Cavemen to the Multilevel, Elaborate Regalia including oversized wigs and hats on the folks of the 17th Century, for anybody to come up with something not done before would certainly be quite a feat.

12. Longinus

Not, it is trivial, and it happens all the time. And it is not that one needs to come up with a completely new type of a garment no one has ever heard of, merely that it will look different.

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a balance between coming up with something different enough to feel believable as part of a world centuries from now, and not looking completely bonkers to modern eyes.

Kor

SolarisOne, BillJ and SJGardner like this.
  14. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I mean, Star Trek could've also choosen to do like Luc Besson did with The Fifth Element and hire Jean-Paul Gaultier to do the costumes with the only instruction being "go wild," but those were intentionally designed to be as garish and campy as possible to resemble French sci-fi comics from the 70s that Besson enjoyed as a kid. I don't think that aesthetics would work on Star Trek.

15. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

The “contemporary“ fashion will look dated too in 20 years. They should have had some balls and gone for futuristic.

Longinus likes this.
  16. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would most likely also look dated in 20 years. It's pretty much unavoidable.

SJGardner likes this.
  17. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

I don't think the costumes would look more futuristic just by adding balls to them.

18. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

So why not go for the one that at least tries to be more realistic?
    Incorrect.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The important thing is that they don't look stupid now.

MvRojo likes this.
  20. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ten-year-old in me just burst out laughing. :guffaw: