The Monster Maroons

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I always assumed that in TNG, they made red the color of command officers because it was an extension of the monster maroons from the films.

cardinal biggles and fireproof78 like this.
  2. Imaus

Imaus Commander Red Shirt

I mean honestly I feel like something like Daniel's uniform should be the norm or the underlying norm, something that looks like it's full of tubing and env systems to help you stay alive in any environment if you just add a helmet or gloves to it. Yes it's something expensive or impractical 'now' but the whole thing is that ST is the future, they figured it out, probably make every uniform individually via computers and what not.

It's FASA trek, they're just the USM in space with all the inter-service BS and drama, makes enough sense to me - it's endearing and something that requires little disbelief in a way. Security Department higher ups press it on a slow day and it becomes this big scandal in starfleet and they just switch the colors. Everyone else doesn't give a damn because it's a real non issue and uniforms change every ten or so years, and 'red' is sort of a rare color overall before the 2250s? Gold, Silver, Copper; Blue for DIS, Gold, Gray for the Kelvin. Seems like it was a one-shot deal overall and Security wore that weird silver/gold lining from 2280ish to 2360ish then gold.

As well - Why did the Monster Maroons last so long? There seems to have been three main variants: the overly formal from 2278ish to 2230ish, then a cutting down from 2330 to 2340ish, and the final version from 2340 to 2350ish.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Lord Garth likes this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably the same reason as it happens in real life. ...I could be wrong, but aren't modern British officer uniforms pretty much the same as ones from WWI? The sailor suits they wear in the Navy seem to have lasted a long time too, but I'm not sure how long.

4. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Looking at the casualties listed on Memory Alpha and disregarding the dead who came back (Scotty, Bones, Leslie, Galloway) the totals I get are:
    • 2 unidentified (Barnhart, O'Neill)
    • 6 Greenshirts
    • 6 Blueshirts
    • 23 Redshirts

STEPhon IT likes this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Even though I understand recycling the costumes because they wanted to cut down on costs wherever they could, I always thought it was dumb in-universe. Especially compared to how often the uniforms changed from "The Cage" to TUC and then again from TNG onward.

Jadeb and Imaus like this.
  6. Dukhat

Well, the real reason why they lasted so long was because they went from producing TVH right to producing TNG, and did not have any forethought to making any kind of intermediate uniforms when the situation warranted it.

Imaus likes this.
  7. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they should have reused the first-second season uniforms (maybe with some additional embellishments) for "Yesterday's Enterprise", that would have at least established some ambiguity around when they stopped using the TWOK uniforms.

8. Imaus

Imaus Commander Red Shirt

For the Ambassador crew?

Yea even just having the now-tunic jacket in different colors might had worked.

Lord Garth likes this.
  9. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, sorry, for the 1701-C crew.

Was trying to think of cost effective costumes, seems like the first season TNG uniforms would have been fine, that would have given those a period of around 20 years of use. Maybe switch the colors around so command was yellow, use a different communicator pin, or add a dickey collar similar to Spock's in TMP to make them a bit different.

Imaus likes this.
  10. Dukhat

They reused a lot of assets from the ‘80’s “V” series and miniseries; maybe they could have used leftover Visitor uniforms for the Ent-C crew:

http://www.costumecostumecostume.com/V2011.htm

11. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Commodore Commodore

Why are they called monster maroons?

12. trekshark

trekshark Commander Red Shirt

Maybe save the jackets for a dress or almost dress uniform and on duty just have the pants and department colored shirt with insignia on the shirt

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  13. Dukhat

Edit: I forgot that the maroons were also used for the Bozeman crew from 2278. So that's actually 86 years. Although I will point out that the footage of Starfleet Command from STIV that was used in TNG's "Conspiracy" really doesn't count, since it was just stock footage. So the last chronological time we saw the monster maroons was in Jack Crusher’s holographic message in 2348. So from the Bozeman to the hologram, it was 70 years (and that’s assuming both that 2278 was the first year Starfleet used those uniforms, and 2348 was the last year, which probably isn’t accurate.)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  14. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fan films, most notably the Potemkin series, have done this.

trekshark likes this.
  15. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

IIRC, it came from the cosplay community, in reference to the difficulty in recreating the TWOK uniforms.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  16. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

I agree, it would definitely display a form of transition in the uniforms. The results of "Yesterday's Enterprise" felt lazy.

drt, burningoil and Warped9 like this.
  17. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I quite liked the “monster maroons” until I actually saw a movie authentic one at a convention.
    Impractical and uncomfortable looking and kinda goofily baggy trousers tucked into the boots.

Kor, burningoil and STEPhon IT like this.
  18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

As the great Nicholas Meyer's grand vision faces the tests of time, the rose colored glasses seem to get dimmer as the viewer starts seeing the harsh reality of his mindset in plain sight. I give a lot of credit to Roddenberry's and his camp's foresight for production design. What would a crew of people wear if they were journeying through outer space for a long period of time? Comfort would be the obvious objective.

J.T.B., burningoil and Warped9 like this.
  19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I could quibble with the colour palette and even the cut of the TMP uniforms, but they always made more sense to me than what followed. One could also say that the TMP uniforms maybe tried a bit too hard to look authentically futuristic rather than something evolved from what we saw in TOS.

Styles come and go and evolve. No one can know what we’ll be wearing in twenty, fifty or so years time let alone 100-300 years. We can laugh at styles of the distant or even near past, but we can also laugh at some of what is worn today.

Kor, J.T.B., burningoil and 1 other person like this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I might have to post this to another thread but I am generally curious what would be considered an evolution from the TOS uniforms?