Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
Susanna Hoffs went solo.

Just kidding. You can see Carol wearing it at the end.
For the record (pardon the pun), Hoffs is still with the band, she just has other projects as well (like the faux-60s-Brit-Rock band Ming Tea).
Michael Steele retired in 2005 (technically her last performance with the band was 2004, but she didn't officially announce her retirement until '05) and has not rejoined the band since, making her more of "the other Bangle" than Hoffs.

Which is a long-winded way of saying 'my joke is better than yours'. :p

Rewatched the film today and I loved just as much as I did in theaters. I still have a few minor issues with some of the weird editing, particularly during the high-pace first act. Nonetheless, I love the very deliberate comic book vibe the whole film resonates with throughout, from the humor to specific framings of the action sequences. Everything else I said in my original review still holds strong.

One thing did stand out this time around (and maybe I noticed it the first time but then I forgot to bring it up): While revisiting Carol's memories, Maria specifically noted that Monica had been Blipped and Maria was waiting for her to return. That doesn't make a lick of sense considering during that five-year period no one knew if anyone would ever return, let alone actually call them "Blipped" at that point. So was that a glitch in Carol's memory...or a suggestion of something Maria and/or Carol knew at the time? Or simply sloppy writing? I like to think the conversation was scrambled in Carol's memories considering the nature of how they were reviewed. Untrustworthy narrator and all that.

Hopefully I'll have time to watch the Assembled episode tonight which also came out yesterday.

I guess the ending is setting up Deadpool and Wolverine?
Probably not. More likely set-up for the broader X-Men (re)introduction. I seriously doubt Monica's story thread will be picked up in Deadpool...but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was referenced in some manner.

I'm not sure how and when the terminology for everyone 'disappearing' was. Was it called 'blip' before they returned or after? Was everyone just assumed dead(likely) although I also think its very possible that a dying mother would cling to the hope that her daughter would 'return' and not just believe she was gone forever with everyone else.

I'm 99.999999% certain Blipping wasn't coined until after everyone returned (first heard in Far From Home during Betty's news recap). Which makes sense considering the very nature of that term suggests temporary, which no one knew during that period.

I'll grant you a dying mother hoping for her daughter to return, but in direct conjunction with her saying Blipping and what with know what happens with Monica's return, it stands out harsher.

I'm 99.999999% certain Blipping wasn't coined until after everyone returned (first heard in Far From Home during Betty's news recap). Which makes sense considering the very nature of that term suggests temporary, which no one knew during that period.

I'll grant you a dying mother hoping for her daughter to return, but in direct conjunction with her saying Blipping and what with know what happens with Monica's return, it stands out harsher.
I think part of the issue might be that, behind the scenes, the term was used as early as "Infinity War." In the Cinefex article on the movie, for instance, it calls the visual of the characters' disintegration "the blip effect," though it doesn't say who coined that term, and refers to the visual effect that way consistently in the articles for "Ant-Man and the Wasp" and "Endgame."

It's possible that, within the greater MCU braintrust, that was always the term, and none of the fan-coined ones (snapped, dusted, what have you) caught on with them enough for them to realize using "blip" in a scene set before anyone returned would sound odd to the audience. Or the official terms, for that matter; wasn't there a minute leading up to "Endgame" where it was said that the in-universe name for what happened was "the Decimation" or something like that?

For the record (pardon the pun), Hoffs is still with the band, she just has other projects as well (like the faux-60s-Brit-Rock band Ming Tea).
Michael Steele retired in 2005 (technically her last performance with the band was 2004, but she didn't officially announce her retirement until '05) and has not rejoined the band since, making her more of "the other Bangle" than Hoffs.

Which is a long-winded way of saying 'my joke is better than yours'. :p
She was my favorite.

Watched it yesterday on D+. Fun, fluffy popcorn fare. Creatively, there were some questionable choices and the script, to me, needed one more pass. All in all, fun but not very memorable. 7/10

Last edited:
Finally got to see this. It was fine, not as good as Captain Marvel but overall decent. My favorite scene was them using the kittens to rescue the space station crew, about halfway through I realized the song playing was from the musical Cats and just lost it.

Talking about the movie in general, I do think that the villain really sucked, we're talking sub-Ronan levels of villain, even though I liked why the villain was doing what they were doing (or at least how their motivation tied into what Carol had done). The overall plot felt a bit weak but I liked the fast pace and shorter then average runtime. The musical planet was pretty lame, but its only a minute or two so it wasn't that big a deal. I also think that you could have cut Kamala and Monica from the film and, plot wise, not really lost much, although I liked both of those characters in the film. This was my first time seeing Kamala, I won't watch her solo show, and she was fine, she worked well as part of the trio of characters with Carol and Monica, who I care more about. The end stinger scene was great, I know people are whining about multiverses (even though we've barely had any multiverse superhero stuff when you actually look at things) but Kelsey Grammer as a decent looking Beast was just fun.

So overall I had a decent time with the movie, although I don't miss not seeing it in theaters. C+

Hopefully I'll have time to watch the Assembled episode tonight which also came out yesterday.
Y'all know what I'm about to say...

I love watching how so much damn fun everyone had in making this film and it really carried on screen for me. From Iman's continuous fangirling ("Fun fact: This [Kamala's bedroom] is what it's like inside Iman Vellani's head") and Brie's sense of empowerment in carrying the role of Carol to Teyonah's perpetual wide-grin at everything and Nia's determination create a unique yet fun Marvel film. And then they had "Everyone gets a kitten on set" day and everyone just having the best time of their lives.

I particularly loved seeing the three different reactions to wire work: For Brie, it was old hat. For Iman, she was as giddy as a schoolgirl because she loves roller coasters. For Teyonah, it was careful trepidation that eventually led to joy.

I also loved the incredible amount of work that went into intricate details on Carol's spaceship and how to make it as lived in as possible, not unlike Star-Lord's many ships. Unsurprisingly, there were lots of cool little things in the set you can't see in the film but it's still fun to know that they're there. Hopefully in the next Carol film, we'll get more of a lived-in space adventure in her ship and we get to see more of those details.

I'm surprised they haven't done some sort of Extended Cut on Disney Plus since it was stated that a number of things were cut to meet a runtime goal.
I'm not. Unfortunately, Marvel doesn't have any interest in doing director/extended cuts of any of their films, even in this digital streaming era. There has been a lot of footage left on the cutting floor in the past decade and a half and I guess that's where they will remain, alas.

Back