Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
The movie makes a lot more sense when you realize that Disney shuffled the releases of Secret Invasion and The Marvels and flipped them (The Marvels was supposed to come out in summer 2023, and Secret Invasion was set for last autumn). They got switched around because Marvels went through extensive re-shoots and according to a VFX friend of mine who worked on The Marvels, they were still re-doing CGI stuff up until the final release (the Kelsey Grammer Beast cameo was one of the last sequences they worked on).

That would certainly make Secret Invasion make more sense.

Not really. It just replaces the 'Why isn't the US govt. hunting skrulls in the Marvels' problem with a 'Why is Nick Fury suddenly completely broken and washed up and supposedly hasn't set foot on Earth in years in Secret Invasion' problem.

I was just reading through a profile of the X-Men characer Lila Chaney on the Marvel website, and it turns out that Aldana and Prince Yan actually come from the comics, although in the comic they appeared in, it was rhyming planet not a singing planet. I actually have read the comic, #9 in the 2014 Capt. Marvel, but I completely forgot about Aldana and Yan, and had assumed they were a completely original creation of the movie.

I watched it last week, very enjoyable.
It's a perfectly fine and enjoyable movie. But it seems it is no more enough for a superhero movie. Now to be successful it must be exceptional or starring a well know character (Spider-Man/Batman).

It's a perfectly fine and enjoyable movie. But it seems it is no more enough for a superhero movie. Now to be successful it must be exceptional or starring a well know character (Spider-Man/Batman).
Even WITH a well known hero, it could "fail"... see the DCFU Superman. That's why David Zaslav rebooted it.

He reasonably thought Superman could lead a billion dollar movie. But he wasn't smart enough to salvage the good, and instead helped sink the final DCFU films

I think it's partly because we are 16 years in at this point so you have an aging core audience who are likely getting more time poor and more and more "casual" fans fade.

I think it's partly because we are 16 years in at this point so you have an aging core audience who are likely getting more time poor and more and more "casual" fans fade.
That's definitely a part of it .. and I think less, or really no "event" movies, like Avengers or Black Panther, to create exciting opening weekends

That's definitely a part of it .. and I think less, or really no "event" movies, like Avengers or Black Panther, to create exciting opening weekends
So kinda victim of it's own success. Superhero movies must be epic tentpole films, popcorn films are no longer good enough.

Shame really, because the character-led popcorn films are much easier to make and have better lasting power than the blockbusters.

Down with Kang!

So maybe I can look forward to a 5 minute clip where one mighty and indomitable Dr Doom exterminates a million-billion strong Cross Time Council of Kangs.

Rejoice!

Or you know, just recast.
Getting it wrong once is understandable.

But they already cast Majors as 50 thousand different Kangs.

There's no coming back from the wrongitudity of this mass cock up.

Embrace Doom.

His love will get you through the coldest nights, even in the real world.

Last edited:
Getting it wrong once is understandable.

But they already cast Majors as 50 thousand different Kangs.

There's no coming back from the wrongitudity of this mass cock up.

Embrace Doom.

His love will get you through the coldest nights, even in the real world.
Or you know, just recast

Back