Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 6, 2023.

?

How do you rate The Marvels?

1. A+

1.6%
  2. A

15.9%
  3. A-

23.8%
  4. B+

25.4%
  5. B

6.3%
  6. B-

6.3%
  7. C+

9.5%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

7.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I meant it was ironic because one of the biggest criticisms of Phases 4/5 has been how aimless they feel - how the overall multiverse arc is moving so slowly, and people have no sense of forward momentum for the MCU any longer.

The Marvels, despite having some faults as a movie, actually built upon the foundations of Phase 4 Disney+ TV shows in a way we've not really seen done before. That is to say, we're finally getting payoff for the promise. And fans were like...:shrug:

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

Where did phase 4 end and phase 5 begin?

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh...somewhere or other. Don't sweat it.

TREK_GOD_1 and Gaith like this.
  4. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

I mean, other than when Multiverse of Madness and Quantumania did it.

Gaith likes this.
  5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

phase four ended with wakanda forever.

Set Harth and Relayer1 like this.
  6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I was talking to my niece and some of her friends and she said the little they saw of Ms Marvel was that it was an old person's version of being a teen.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd agree with that.

But giv'em 5 more years, and they'll turn into us.

8. JoeZhang

Oh absolutely - does make me think what the most realistic take on teenages having powers is?

Bendis sorta touches on it in Powers and I think Ennis does in a Boys spinoff but my memory might be wrong.

9. Guy Gardener

The Boys as Children just finished its first season season.

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brandon Sanderson has a decent book on this. I think it's called Steelheart.

I've always been partial to Sky High myself.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

"The secret what?" :lol:

I gotta say they have a really good voice impressionist as Carol. She's almost spot-on as oppose the rest who are deliberately far off.

12. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe not Day-to-day, but month to month, or at least year by year -- i would like to see more of these movies and shows.... low box office is a major way to kill that.

Indeed,,,, and ones that were seriously expected to make a lot of money are not winding up in the top 10. I mean, you should see how we who did the TrekBBS Box Office Predictor game are doing....

@TREK_GOD_1 has a serious bias against most Marvel productions

well, he definitely is not a character actor te way, say, Gary Oldman or CHadwick Boseman are. The Sam Wilson role is perfect for him.... just other stuff, like you mentioned, may not turn out great.

yeah the strike really hurt Blue Beetle... also, CObra Kai fans failed to support him too.

My quick thoughts on the box office situation.... yeh, there are some movies doing very well, but i think there is definitely a post-COvid effect...as well as things like inflation. It reminds me of the AUstin Powers ad... "If you only see one movie, this summer.... see Star Wars. If you see TWO movies this summer, see AUstin Powers"... people are getting more choosy as to what they see, and only a few are really drawing in the biggest swath of people.

And Barbie's particular success included not just the marketing (for example, in Chicago they did a Barbie-themed pop up restaurant made from Cargo containers ), but also the perception that Barbie was for little kids...i saw soooo many families with little kids, who i really don't think liked the movie as much as women did.

Also, have you guys not noticed that it seems like none of the movies released since The Marvels will come close to the top 10. Even Taylor Swift will be beat out by Sound of Freedom. There is definitely a trend of movies in general (with definite exceptions) not being as successful as before

And i forget if i talked about the movie itself way back when ... we went to see it opening weekend. Definitely not worth the IMAX, but overall a fun movie... i would not have expected it to be a Captain Marvel level of success, but i think a confluence of factors, including the constant re-scheduling and actors strike preventing Iman from talking, were huge factors in hurting it,

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the bit with reigniting the star but instead incinerating the planet.

14. Sumire

Sumire Commander Red Shirt

Finally saw this and was pleasantly surprised. I expected the villain to be dull so, although not ideal, that was par for the course. Was genuinely pleased with the character beats however. Some nice growth and connection. Some amusing moments that were allowed to just be amusing, not hilarious, not wry, just amusing. Nice. (That’s not damning with faint praise, I genuinely miss movies that are pleasant, happy-to-catch-it-on-TV-as-an-afternoon-movie kind of deal.)

Anwar and Commander Troi like this.
  15. JoeZhang

Thing is that the Taylor Swift tour cost about $15 million to make and has taken $250 million - it's the most successful concert film of all time.

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

..which means its a true success, unlike a franchise film with a bloated production and marketing budget, and fails in historic fashion.

17. Guy Gardener

It's cheating though.

Might as well offer free crack to a crack addict.

Morpheus 02 and JoeZhang like this.
  18. TREK_GOD_1

:D

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do you bring up Justice League in an MCU thread?:shrug::whistle:;)

The Nth Doctor and Morpheus 02 like this.
  20. TREK_GOD_1

I was not referring to Whedon's assbrained disaster, but The Marvels. :)