The Maple Leaf Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Avro Arrow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hmm... I don't like peameal bacon, ribs, bologna, or poutine. I'm not exactly sure what that says about my Canadianism... :lol:

I *love* pickles, though. :) (They can't really be just a Canadian thing, though... :confused:)

2. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

She had regular bacon inside her chocolate. I love Canadian bacon and I put a slice on my english muffin every morning with egg and cheese for my breakfast. The bacon chocolate thing she had was like a long strip of hard chocolate with a slice of bacon inside. I broke off a single bite and was so glad that was all I committed to. She says all her friends enjoy it immensely all the time.

One food I miss from Canada is plum sauce! No one in the United States seems to even know what this is, but it is oh so delicious with chicken.

My sister keeps trying to get me hooked on this Niagara "ice wine". I feel it is wayyy too sweet and it is also crazy expensive. I prefer my dry California red!

I am so sorry to hear about your medical procedures, I hope that everything is going well. I can sympathize, my mother is having her hips replaced next month in Ontario after having her knees replaced last year. It has been very hard for her, and I hope that you are getting proper care.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best food I've ever had in Canada is, well, not uniquely Canadian, but still the best:

Breakfast at Fran's Restaurant.

The Lord is my chef; I shall not order takeout.

He maketh me to lie down in Fran's Restaurant; he leadeth me beside the still coffee mug.

He restoreth my breakfast; he leadeth me in the paths of the Yonge Line for my stomach's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the morning rush hour, I will fear no commuters, for thou art with me; thy subway map and thy Presto card, they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of thine wait staff; thou anointest my bread with yolk; my plate runneth over.

Surely bacon and grits shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of Fran's forever.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Timewalker likes this.
  4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Poutine is disgusting. And I am in no doubt whatsoever about my Canadianism.

And yeah, pickles are good. :)

:wtf:

I can't imagine not having plum sauce. Chicken isn't the only thing it's good for. I love it on fried rice, and even fish & chips (the fish part). I have several jars of it in my pantry right now.

Marynator and Avro Arrow like this.
  5. Avro Arrow

So speaking of food... Tim's has another of their limited time "premium" doughnuts available right now... a Reese's Pieces doughnut. I knew I shouldn't, but how could I resist? :angel:

So it's a chocolate doughnut, topped with chocolate frosting, chocolate drizzle, and Reese's Pieces... and it's filled with some kind of peanut butter flavoured cream. I realize I will probably soon come to regret eating it, but for now, I'm just going to bask in the deliciousness! :D

Marynator likes this.
  6. Timewalker

I'm afraid my sense of adventure stops at raspberry Timbits. I usually get a 20-pack of honey-glazed and chocolate ones.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Sometimes you do have to worry about their special edition doughnuts. A couple of years back they managed to have Milos Ronic plugging one of them during the Rogers Cup.

The wife and I tried them Milos should stick to tennis and leave the Timmies endorsements to others.

But she was happy when they brought back the Dutchies for a time last year.

Thanks. this around was it was the removal of a lump over my left eye (hopefully merely a cyst and nothing more) but I'
    ll find out more with the follow up appointment next Monday. People are wondering what the wife hit me with :)

Do you ever see VH sauces in your lcoal supermarket? Think they have a plum sauce that might satisfy the cravings but if worst comes to worst you could probably by some on Amzaon :)

I wanted instant Banana pudding for a recipe but can't find the stuff here but could order on Amazon if I wanted to 50 packets :)

Not sure if I've tried it or not but yes it's very expensive but it's hard to mark. You need the grapes to freeze but not a frost that will damage them so it's there a limited time frame to make it.

Well you could be my GP but I know it's only Poutine I know she doesn't like but maybe that comes from being born and raised in B.C :)

8. Marynator

I hope that is all you have and not something more serious. Please take care.

Thank you for the idea of using Amazon. I do see they sell plum sauce! It is expensive but I will have to buy some. :)

9. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

I'm going to be in Canada in mid July for a week and a half.

Excluding airport stopovers in Toronto (on way there) and Vancouver (on way out), I'll be pretty much in Alberta and NWT.

My mate who is from NWT has most of the stuff plotted out but I can still suggest a few things. I'm looking at Banff and West Edmonton Mall :)

The annoying thing is I end the trip in Fort Smith and it is either a CA$415 airfare in a tiny plane to Yellowknife or Edmonton (55 min long on the Yellowknife route) or an 8 or 13 hour drive respectively! :/

On the flip side if I'm maybe the only passenger and I can pretend to be supercool with my own personal plane for that 55mins lol!

10. Marc

factor in meals, gas and vehicle rental for the one person I think you're making the right move and flying.

Travel from some of those areas can be pretty brutal - pay through the for a plane ticket or spent hours and days traveling.

11. Timewalker

Can you order from the Canadian Walmart site? They sell plum sauce as well, and it's got to be cheaper than Amazon.

Banff in the spring is wonderful! I was at Lake Minnewanka in May one year, and the lake was still mostly frozen over, the air was chill (but not cold), and everything was so quiet... I felt instant relaxation.

(fun fact: Lake Minnewanka is where the infamous squirrel-crashing-the-honeymoon-photo photo was taken some years ago)

12. Avro Arrow

Oh, raspberry sounds good! I don't think I've ever had those. It's not a "regular" flavour, is it? I haven't seen them around here. I remember limited-time flavours that I liked: orange, blueberry, and my favourite: cherry. Was really upset when the cherry ones went away! ;) I think the only regular flavours I like are chocolate, sour cream glazed, apple fritter, and birthday cake. (At least I'm assuming birthday cake has been around long enough to be considered a regular flavour...)

I... don't know who that is! :lol: I honestly don't go into Tim's all that often for budget reasons, but with the few premium donuts I've tried, I've had a pretty good success rate. :)

As I mentioned, I don't go into Tim's all that often. So in all honesty, I hadn't even realized Dutchies had gone away until everyone started talking about how Dutchies were back! :lol:

Yeah, having a recipe where one of the ingredients can't even be purchased here is the worst! (Although I guess that may be more suited to the "Things that frustrate us all" thread... ;) )

Technically, I guess, but I'm thinking if I was a doctor, I would probably know! :lol:

Walmart.ca won't ship outside of Canada (although you can order from the US as long as it's shipped to a Canadian address). Although it does seem to be available on the American Walmart site, too. But some of those jars seem pretty outrageously expensive, so I'm not sure it's any cheaper than the Amazon option.

Is there any law against sending foodstuffs internationally through the mail? Maybe it would be cheaper to have Canadian relatives buy it and mail it to the US?

13. Timewalker

Since my local Tim Hortons is a kiosk in a mall, I have no idea about all the flavors that might be available. Raspberry isn't always available there, and I haven't noticed that it turns up on any sort of regular schedule.

The outside is covered in icing sugar, and it has raspberry filling.

Not sure about foodstuffs in general. There's an awful lot that's prohibited, which is pretty damn frustrating when I keep getting emails from ThinkGeek that prattle on about jelly babies and The Penguin Place advertising chocolate penguins.

Many years ago I was posting about my frustration at not being able to get Vanilla Coke anymore, and some guy in Texas offered to mail me a case of it. I don't think he realized just how far it would need to travel, or that it might not make it across the border in the first place.

As for plum sauce, between $2 and $3 is a pretty standard price here; the grocery store I deal with has it on sale this week at $2.50 for 341-355 mL (don't ask me how many ounces that is; I don't speak imperial when it comes to ounces). If you want cheaper, you'd have to go to Walmart when it's on sale, or maybe a dollar store.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never had Poutine and don't have the intention or cravings for it. Just the thought of how many carbs and cholesterol is in that makes me stay away from it.

Yeah, I do find Icewine too sweet. Not a big fan of it. Was introduced to it a few years ago and could hardly finish it.

We do have a winery nearby, the only one in Northern Ontario, that make their own wine using special berries that grow well in this climate. They also make a maple "icewine" that is pretty good. I put it in parentheses, because they're apparently not allowed to call it that as it's a Niagara region thing according to the owner of the place.

Heh, I wonder if you'll get to fly Buffalo Airways...

Oh, speaking of Thinkgeek. I ordered from them once for gifts. The cost of the shipping made sure I'd never do that again. Just way too expensive.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  15. Avro Arrow

Oh, the powdered ones. My mistake, I thought you meant like raspberry flavoured dough. (That's what the orange, blueberry and cherry ones I mentioned were like.) I honestly don't care too much for the powdered ones. And it seems I'm not alone in that, since they're always the last ones left in the box when someone brings Timbits into work! :)

16. Marc

Hell you can be in the Niagara region and still not allowed to call it Ice Wine unless you're with the right organization (VQA or something shit like that).

It hit the news a few years back about the bully boy tactics being used smaller wineries in the region who couldn't afford the membership fees.

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, exactly what the winery owner had told us. And being a small winery, he also stated that they couldn't afford to be certified, that it would take loads of money and certification to even be allowed to be sold at the LCBO. Boreal Berry Farm and Winery btw. Just a hell of a lot of hassle to go through to be certified, but they still have to regularly go through inspections.

Oh, Avro, as for Timbits, I've come to realize over the years that each location, depending on company run or franchisee, they'll have different products on offer. I think I've had the raspberry Timbits you speak of, but that was many years ago to the point I didn't think they still made them as I don't think they have them locally. But I do remember them. It's like the times I remember having the Shamrock shake from McD's years before it actually became an officially recognized item.

18. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry Canada/Toronto for the carnage your people/innocents suffered today.

Mr. Laser Beam and cosmic mouse like this.
  19. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Is plum sauce the same as "duck sauce"? Not sure I've had plum sauce even with my worldly ventures and having fam north of the border...

20. Marynator

Oh my, I've never heard of duck sauce, but my trusty google makes it look like they are so very similar. In Canada we call it plum sauce and it's almost always served when you order chicken.