The Maple Leaf Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Avro Arrow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Yeah, when I googled plum sauce duck sauce also came up as well... here when you order Chinese food duck sauce is served with the egg roll, spring rolls, etc. usually. It's basically like a fruity sweet & sour sauce. I've seen it served with chicken and other dishes, but most commonly with spring rolls and appetizer-type stuff.

Marynator likes this.
  2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Yeah, I was about to mention egg rolls. Egg rolls, chicken, and rice are what I add plum sauce to. It's also not bad with the fish part of fish & chips.

cosmic mouse likes this.
  3. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

My favorite for plum sauce is french fries!

4. Timewalker

I've used it for french fries, but I was desperate. We'd run out of ketchup and BBQ sauce!

Marynator likes this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the authorities are any closer to finding a motive. They don't seem to think there's any links to terrorism - AFAIK, they haven't even called in the RCMP yet. Looks like this guy is just a psycho all on his own...

6. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

That does sound tasty... :bolian:

7. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess we desperately try and make 'sense' of something like this. That if we can find a motive or twisted reasoning we can potentially head it off from happening again or get some understanding. At some level all these murderers are psychos.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43883052

8. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you tried making it yourself? Then you could have your own supply. I've had two types of plum sauce. One that we have with certain Chinese style dishes. In fact I buy a jar of the plum sauce from the supermarket but have fudged it before by using plum jam, ginger, garlic and a hit of vinegar (not too much).

The other sauce is like HP sauce. My grandmother used to make it from those plums that are plum right through and not the yellow centred ones. It was so good and as mentioned it is nice with fish and chips and even meat pies.

Marynator likes this.
  9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

There has of course been lots of speculation online, as tends to happen, but police are cautioning everyone that it's too soon to know for sure. But of course, news sites keep reporting on what they find. If it ends up being where the scraps so far seem to be leading... just argh. I think I'm going to be ill. :(

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

11. Avro Arrow

^ Yes, based on the pieces they've pulled together so far, it's sounding like yet another case of gendered violence, but police are cautioning that they haven't made that determination yet.

The majority of victims were women, but police are saying it's too early to determine if women were specifically targeted.

CBC also has an article on this whole "incel" thing, but of course it does cover a lot of the same ground as the one you linked to does.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That's interesting. I never figured that there was a group devoted to that, or even that it had gotten taken over for negative purposes. I haven't been successful myself, but then I don't go and blame it on others. I think there's a legitimate heart to the issue that merits discussion.

13. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Oh this is so absolutely terrible, my heart goes out to everyone in Toronto.

Mr. Laser Beam and Avro Arrow like this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Went to see the memorials that have sprung up. There’s one at Yonge & Finch (where the attack took place) and another at Mel Lastman Square to the south. Quite a humbling experience. (And I hope the fucker who did this gets put away for life.) #TorontoStrong

On a lighter note, I have greatly enjoyed my Canadian vacation. I will definitely miss Tim Hortons coffee and Fran’s Restaurant breakfasts when I go home!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    teacake and TorontoTrekker like this.
  15. Avro Arrow

An article adapted from Chrystia Freeland's acceptance speech for Diplomat of the Year earlier this week.

From Canada, to our U.S. friends: Might is not always right

I've thought for a while now that I'd like to see her as party leader once Trudeau steps down. She'd make a great prime minister! :)

Marynator likes this.
  16. Timewalker

Maybe when Trudeau steps down, the Liberals might be ready for a female leader. They're the only major party not to have had at least one.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Just as long as she doesn't suffer Kim Campbell's fate....

18. Avro Arrow

19. Timewalker

"Small towns"?

Try anybody, anywhere, who doesn't have their own transportation. This means I am stuck where I am, with no way to leave the city for anywhere.

The train service stopped decades ago. We don't have an airport that's accessible by any way other than driving. Now there won't be any buses.

As I recall, the route between Edmonton/Red Deer/Calgary was always crammed. The milk run included Blackfalds, Bowden (for the people working at the penitentiary), Penhold, Innisfail, Olds, Airdrie...

This is going to mean a lot of people will be stuck, and it's going to be a nightmare for those having to go to Edmonton or Calgary for medical appointments.

Red Arrow had better step up. I haven't used that company before, so I don't know how their service is.

Whoever made this decision, I hope they get stranded somewhere and have to hitchhike. Preferably on some lonely stretch of highway where there's not much traffic. In winter.

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they've already discontinued their Northern Ontario routes. I have a feeling that we might not see Greyhound operate in Canada for much longer, at this rate.