Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Rex Savage, Clone of Bronze. ;)

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I loved him in the old Italian weightlifter movies.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nor should they, since Temuera Morrison also has Scottish and Irish ancestry.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

White people do not suffer a lack of representation in Hollywood, so we can toss all ridiculous and racially defensive notions of "blackwashing" characters as if it's even remotely comparable to whitewashing underrepresented groups like black people or in this case the Māori.

How "Disney wants us to perceive" the character of Omega is as a female unmodified clone of Jango Fett (Temuera Morrison is of mixed Māori and European descent), not a "blond California surfer girl" as you keep repeating.

Since some Polynesians have blond hair, and alternatively the clones can and do dye their hair different colors to express their individuality, there's no reason why having blond hair should somehow make the character have to be played by a blond California surfer girl type, and reasons why she shouldn't be for the sake of representation and comparison to the other clones. She's already got an actual New Zealand accent from her voice actor, despite your claims of its inconsistency.

By the way, here is Temuera Morrison's late sister, with her blond hair, so essentially having what amounts to Boba's "sister" with blond hair makes perfect sense:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

One more time - this is the woman who plays Omega, she is neither blonde nor Californian:

upload_2021-8-15_15-50-48.png

She is from New Zealand.

There is no way to rationalize your assertion that "Disney cast a blonde Californian surfer gal" as anything other than a mistake.

You're just flat-out wrong.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

How dare you bring logic and reason and facts into this!

7. cooleddie74

Any chance a neural chip can help erase our memories of these past few pages of posts?

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

One detail that's being lost in all this: Omega's character design isn't supposed to look like a female Temuera Morrison; at this age she's meant to look like a female Daniel Logan (who yes, is also of Maori decent.) Just turn Omega's hair brown, give her more sever eyebrow game and a perpetual frowny face, and she's basically the same character model as all the other young Jango clones.

Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to middle...

For real though: seek help.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think any society that's governed by a man who can shoot lighting from his fingertips and build massive space-faring orbs that can blow-up planets can also work out the magic behind Vidal Sassoon.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jango's sister in legends also had blonde hair.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Arla_Fett

Also they literally call her a clone of Jango in this show. There were probably just some blonde genes somewhere in his DNA.

I believe Timo was describing Omega's look not the voice actor's. I think he's trying to say they'll cast a blonde (or dye the actors hair/use a wig) to play her in live action if they do ever cast her in live action, to match the character's look.

And badly compared how Darth Vader was voiced by an actor that didn't look like the character.

He keeps pointing to/posting a picture of Omega when saying that, not the voice actor, which leads me to believe this. He could have worded that way better.

The California girl part of the description is all wrong though.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    137th Gebirg and cooleddie74 like this.
  11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Sorry, no.

This isn't about what you "believe" someone said.

It's simple, unambiguous English:

Words have meanings.

12. cooleddie74

I didn't know Michelle Ang was a blonde Californian surfer girl. These reboots are getting wild!!

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  13. Tuskin38

And yet, he posted a picture and a link to a picture of Omega, not Michelle in his posts.
    Look at the content that comes with the words, not just the words by themselves:

(that broken picture in the first quote is Omega, and the link in the second quote is to the exact same image of Omega, not Michelle)
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c6/OmegaDisneyPlusAvatar.png

(This post is referring to the picture of Omega in the post above his post)

There's just terrible wording being used on Timo's part. He's not calling Michelle blonde or a California girl. He's talking about how Omega looks. How they want us to perceive her. Like that comparison to Darth Vader not being voiced by someone that looks like the character, or how Ashley Eckstein doesn't look like Ahsoka.

Which is still wrong, Omega doesn't look like a 'California girl', whatever that means.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Actually, Timo’s exact words were “proto-Californian blonde”, whatever the fuck THAT means.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

It's clear he's not talking about a future live action casting. He's talking about the current casting, who is a New Zealander of Chinese descent. For some reason he's calling the design of Omega "casting" and "playing" and because of the light blonde-white hair she's a " blonde Californian surfer gal ". Apparently only women surfers from California are allowed to have blonde hair.

They cast a New Zealander as Omega and let her use a New Zealand accent. The choices for her eye color and skin tone matches the other clones. So if they were going for "California Surfer Girl", they missed the target.

16. Tuskin38

And I agree with you completely.

But what I'm getting at is I'm pretty sure he wasn't calling Michelle that, but Omega herself.

17. Tuskin38

Should probably just wait for Timo to come back and explain it himself instead of trying to assume what he means.

18. Nerys Myk

What he was attempting is fairly obvious.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now we need Trek to do the same for Warped9 on another TOS remaster

Commander Troi likes this.
  20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think anything was left unclear here on my part.

What others are attempting here is beyond me, though. Are New Zealanders suffering from a lack of employment in Hollywood, and need some sort of a support campaign for that? Hard to believe - but voice-casting them to play New Zealanders seems like the least efficient way to do something about that, there being so few New Zealander roles around (least of all in Star Wars, which has no New Zealand anywhere near, and supposedly not even anywhere far yet). Why not cast them to voice Ben Solo or Lando Calrissian, say?

If it's not that, then I have nothing but contempt for the whole bunch. Although only as mirrors the contempt you guys show towards the art of acting. Just before clampdown, I had the honor of watching a Jewish lady in her eighties do a beeeeeautiful Adolf Hitler on stage. There's a particular underrepresentation of 80-something Jewish ladies in Hitler roles around here, so this may count as amends of sorts. But it's not supposed to. It's just damn good acting. (I'm still waiting for a loud Austrian-Bavarian guy to do an Anne Frank, though. That play was Covid-cancelled and the new casting remains in flux.)

Making a generic point about underrepresentation may be all the rage, and I can see the allure of going with the flow and winning the internet. But how can you lot allow Dawson to be orangefaced, then?

Timo Saloniemi

jackoverfull likes this.