Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yes, because he said so.

Sorry again, no assumptions have been made. He said exactly what he said. The word is not "explain." It's " backtrack."

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, whatever. It just... saddens me that the context here, voice acting, is the one medium where looks and race shouldn't matter - where a quadruplegic can play an action hero and look like Cara Dane if he wants to - and yet every, umm, argument made is about race, or looks, or the looks allowed for a race.

If you wish to keep on defending this other approach to voice acting, feel free. Perhaps it eases the conscience of the poster whose great-grandma whipped her maori slaves a lot?

Disney may not be famed for its great courage, yet it is the very party here pushing for acting that obscures identity, with fur and lekku covering those who don't quite get physically separated from their characters via motion capture or animation. And promoting fake French accents! I say go Disney.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now you’ve completely lost me. I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

Are you saying voice actors should be the ethnic background of the character they’re voicing?

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    This argument needs to just die. Like the past.

Sometimes Kylo Ren was right.

5. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think he's saying the opposite, that the entire foundation of "acting" is portraying something you're not and casting choices shouldn't be limited to identical gender/race/sexuality.

But yeah, probably best to Kylo Ren this argument.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

And to bring this show to a close, here's a swinging little ditty from some swell young lads. Ladies and gentlemen, The Beach Boys.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    We really need to take this up a notch.

You want classy surfing? Well, then, you came to the right place.

saddestmoon and Commander Troi like this.
  8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Here’s a clip from the Mandalorian Gallery episode coming next Wednesday

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Watched The Gallery episode before going to work and now I'm running late to work as a result. Totally worth it.

A few quick takeaways. I never realized that they deepfaked Mark Hamill's voice. I guess I should have realized it as he doesn't sound the way he did then in 2021, but it was still a surprising bit of information.

Picturing Jon Favreau geeking out like a little boy when he realized he could use Artoo-Detoo brought a smile to my face.

I had to smirk a little bit when they were explaining why they didn't use deepfake for Luke when it's been just a mere few weeks since they hired the Deep Faker that put them to shame.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I forgot it was coming out---just watched......man that was great!

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Just watched it. I'm incredibly impressed by the amount of work that went into de-aging Mark in a believable fashion I, too, hadn't thought about them also deepfaked his voice but it makes sense. Hell, his interview voice is different from his sequel trilogy voice. Not a surprise considering he's a very talented vocal artist, but it still threw me off.

It might have been a little hokey and too on-brand, but I loved Jon's analogy of The Sorcerer's Apprentice to drive home the ethics of using deep fake technology. :lol:

I know this has been discussed before in the past, and while it wasn't stated out right here, it definitely seems like Ming-Na and the rest of them weren't on set when Mark Hamil was there.

All of them are great big nerds, but that moment especially brought a big smile on my face. :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  12. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was great, really enjoyed it. The deepfaked voice surprised me too.

The guy they got to stand in for Luke, he looked pretty good as is in some shots!

Also putting aside all the excellent behind the scenes insight, I got a bit choked up when they showed the Mando/Grogu goodbye scene again. Really need the Boba Fett series or Season 3 asap please. :biggrin:

KennyB and Commander Troi like this.
  13. KennyB

3.5 months until The Book of Boba!

lightspeedbear likes this.
  14. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I only heard of this because of you all, so thanks! I'm watching as many episodes as I can tonight because my hubby is out playing poker and this isn't really his thing. Very cool! I had no idea that Bryce Dallas Howard directs. Favreau is such a glorious geek.

Turtletrekker, cooleddie74 and KennyB like this.
  15. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Just finished this. Wow. Amazing. I'm glad Jon talked a little about the ethical ramifications of this tech. And I teared up both at Jon talking about tearing up and at that damn goodbye scene. :sniffle:

Turtletrekker and KennyB like this.
  16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe The Mandalorian marked her directorial debut.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

For television, yes, but she had already directed a couple of short films and a documentary.

Commander Troi and KennyB like this.
  18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I knew they had done *something* with the voice, but I wouldn't have guessed that it was a 100% sample based synthesized voice. I thought they had just taken Hamill's vocal performance and adjusted the pitch etc. to make him sound younger, since there were a few inflections there that definitely sounded processed.
    Which objectively speaking is weird since of all the OT characters, he's the easiest to pull off for a cameo. I mean provided he's not back in rehab again, that guy would show up to the opening of an envelope!

...but still, yeah despite all that, R2 showing up is what broke me too.
    In fairness to the ILM team; 1) they had a tight deadline and 5 million other things to cope with at the time, and 2) said deepfaker used their work as his starting point. Had he been forced to just use the raw footage of the double as they had been, it would have turned out very differently.
    I thought it was strange that they even addressed it. Pleasantly surprised, don't get me wrong! It's just not the kind of thing one often sees in what is essentially marketing materials for a VFX company. Kinda makes it feel like the independently minded innovation of classic Lucasfilm is still alive and kicking, at least in this part of the company.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. The fascinating aspect of this technology is how much it builds and builds upon past work.
    If there is nothing else the Mandalorian demonstrates is that innovative spirit is very much being demonstrated. Reminds me of much of the work that Lucas did with the PT in terms of technology. It is so interesting to see that innovation and creativity in what technology can do still being experimented with.

20. KennyB

Yup---and probably watched her dad do a few things before.......she's got the pedigree. She even paid homage to one of his Apollo 13 scenes in her episode in season 1.