Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Tell you what then, here's my cliffnotes version: -
    • The casting of Rosario was a direct result of the fans, though not solely. Dave felt she just fit the role.
    • The decision was made right before the first season dropped, and they had a bunch of concept art already done with Rosario's face as Ahsoka when they called her about the role.
    • Turns out, Rosario went to acting school with Hayden Christensen in the same class and the two had been in a movie together ('Shattered Glass'), so it was almost fate...also a little trippy since that movie is about a magazine called "The New Republic".
    • She also already knew some of Grogu's puppeteers from working on 'MIB II' and the worm guys.
    • Inosanto and Biehn both brought a lot of experience to their roles. Biehn was very detail oriented going so far as to plot out how many shots his weapon had influencing how his character would deal with Dyn from a philosophical POV. Inosanto's presence lent credibility to the Magistrate being able to go toe-to-toe with Ahsoka.
    • They iterated on Ahsoka's look a LOT. Getting the make-up right for the different light temperatures (apparently the volume tends to skew towards purple), making the face markings look natural and not painted on, and of course getting the headpiece to the size it needed to be for practical purposes. The final result was VERY securely attached for the stunt scenes.
    • Filloni considered keeping Dawson's natural eye colour, but she was eager to try the contacts.
    • Turns out, Rosario was in full make-up and costume, just out of frame when this photo was taken.
    • Filloni talks about about Ahsoka's progression from a brash teen into the "Gandalf stage" she's at, or at least nearly at now.
    • Rosario on Ashley: -
    • I'll just paste the entirety of the response to the lawsuit controversy here so it can speak for itself:-
    "Ahsoka does mean a great deal to people, and they’re deeply invested in who she is. So, Rosario, I want to ask you about something that’s outside of this story of The Mandalorian, and that’s the concern in the fandom about a lawsuit that was filed against you last year by a longtime family friend. The claim accused you and other family members of anti-trans bias, and you’ve called the lawsuit false and baseless. But what do you say to those Star Wars fans who hear this and believe the worst—that you are transphobic?

Dawson: Well, firstly, I just want to say I understand that, and why people were concerned, and are concerned. I would be too if I heard some of those claims. But I mean, as we’re seeing right now in these past months, and just recently, actually, the truth is coming out. Every single claim of discrimination has been dismissed by the person who made them, and as you’ve said, the fact that this is coming from someone I’ve known since I was a teenager, the better part of my life, and who my family was trying to help as we have many times in the past, it really just makes me sad. But I still have a great empathy for him.

Court records show 18 of the 20 claims were withdrawn voluntarily without a settlement, and his lawyer left the case. Two counts remain alleging a physical altercation, and a judge will rule on whether that can move forward next month. There are people that would say, “Well, this is just another example of a wealthy, famous person overpowering the system.” So what would you say to those people who are unconvinced, both about this case and about what you actually believe about trans people?

Dawson: The reason that all of the discrimination claims were dropped is because they didn’t happen. I was raised in a very inclusive and loving way, and that’s how I’ve lived my entire life. I’ve always used my voice to fight for, lift up, and empower the LGBTQA community, and use my platform to channel trans voices, in fiction and nonfiction work that I’ve produced and directed. So I feel the record is really clear."
    • The burnt forest setting was inspired by Dave's experiences living with the fire in northern California and being evacuated three years running.
    • Grogu's name and backstory came from Jon during the production of season one, and it's just been a matter of finding the right way to convey that information to the audience. Once they decided to bring Ahsoka in, her own similar experiences made this the natural choice.
    • The scene was a direct reference to the ANH scene where Obi-Wan explains (some of) Anakin's backstory. In both cases the audience learns as much about the teller as the subject through shared context.
    • They've been careful to avoid using established Star Wars themes, precisely to give them weight and significance when they do show up, as was the case here with Yoda's theme.
    • Filloni regarding the chronological placement of the Rebels coda: -

It didn't though. It still had a formidable fleet that it kept defending the capital, and they probably could have met the First Order head on...but who the hell could have seen Starkiller coming?

Keeping the bulk of their forces in one place helps project a sense of security, but not one of fear. The fleet would come to the aid of any world if summoned, and leave when it was no longer needed. The liberators mustn't become occupiers.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Masiral and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but at around 15:30 you can see Morai sitting on a branch in the upper left part of the picture!

CorporalClegg and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Interestingly, I've seen it suggested on social media that the planet the Magistrate was from that was all but wiped out during the Clone Wars may have been Dathomir. She's clearly not a Nightsister, being the wrong species. But in the old EU there were other tribes on the planet (at least some of which were human, as Teneniel Djo, her daughter Tenel-Ka, and granddaughter Allana Solo can attest). Which might not only be kind of a cool backstory, which does fit what we know and might also justify her apparent loyalty to the Empire (she's obviously profiting handsomely, but hating the Separatists for scourging her world isn't outside the realm of possibility), but might also explain where she got the skills to go spear to blades with Ahsoka in the climax. Even if she wasn't a witch herself, she would have been trained to fight them, and those skills are applicable against Jedi as well.

Unnecessary, certainly, but kind of a neat idea.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I really don't see a witch of Dathomir stating a mining company in a fit of vengeance.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. I totally missed that. My subconscious probably just passed it off as a random bird. But she does turn her head for a second.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a makeup artists IIRC that said that.

7. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Is that where it started from? That's interesting in and of itself. Makes me curious about how much back story the people behind the show have considered for characters like these, who are kind of throw away, disposable villains. Even if none of it ends up used, or "official," it's neat to know that the people involved in the show kind of let their minds run with stuff the same way the fans do sometimes.

8. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

My example may be a bad one but so is yours.

The empire in nowhere near as defeated as Germany or Japan in WW2.

It still has thousands of ships left and some territory.

A better example would be the empire as North Korea. They have signed a armistice and have hunkered down into isolation but are still there and exist. And like how it would be stupid for south Korea to demilitarize while North Korea is still a batshit insane directorship, it would be stupid for the new republic to do the same. And it clearly was seeing as they got there pacifist arses handed to them in TFA.

Crewman6 likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were on Corvus, and the city was Caladan. In The Heiress Bo-Katan told Din to go to the city of Caladan on Corvus, and that was where they were in this one.
    I double checked Wookiepedia, and it has it downs as a separate planet from Dathomir.
    They spend a fair amount of time on Post-Nightsister Dathomir in Jedi: Fallen Order, and this looks nothing like that. According to the game there was only one Nightsister left alive
    and she becomes good guy and joins the heroes' crew after they finish up on Dathomir.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It felt more like the Treaty of Versailles after WW1 with Germany between the Empire and the New Republic. The New Republic was eager to put a militaristic stance behind them and move on. I mean it was stupid but reflective of their fears at the time.

Kind of like the "war to end all wars" attitude of WW1. Also, WW1 pilots would sometimes say wizard.

cooleddie74 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Grogu is 50 years old in human years then how old is he in Yoda years? One? Two?

137th Gebirg likes this.
  12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Good question! I never quite figured out what a “year” is interstellar terms. Is it a Coroscant year, a Tatooine year, a Dagobah year? I’m assuming that there was, at one time, an agreement during the Old Republic that all worlds abided by, but neither Wars nor Trek really elaborated on it.

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    One thing's for sure. Yoda's species matures rapidly between the ages of 50 and 100 because Grogu is still an infant at 50 but Yoda told Luke he had been training Jedi "for 800 years," meaning he was already a Master by the age of 100. In that half-century you mature from a baby to a Jedi Master training the next generation of your Order.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A Galactic Standard Year seems to be based on a Coruscant year. Probably because it was the Capital of the Republic for several millennia, and thus the center of galactic civilization.

Though defeating the Empire in just over a year after Endor is pretty quick. Yet a "year" seems to mess with the ages humans grow up, based on the like of Ezra and Luke and Leia.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He acts like he's 2 or 3 but if he'd already been studying in the Jedi temple to the point he had learned how to control the force, and is advanced enough intellectually to have told Ahsoka that, and that's how he knows to use his force powers as much as he does, it seems like he had to be the equivalent of like 8-10 when he was rescued from the temple.

16. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Wow, you even double checked Wookiepedia. Guess you showed me. Of course, I never said Corvus was Dathomir, or even suggested it was Dathomir. I am talking about an entirely different planet.

Planet she was from, not the planet this story took place on. Ahsoka explicitly, right there in the dialogue of the episode, told us that the Magistrate was from a planet whose people were destroyed by the Clone Wars. And then after the war, she took up an industry (mining, it would seem, from the episode) and helped build the Imperial fleet. And in so doing, she stripped entire worlds of their resources. She isn't FROM Corvus, it's just the latest planet she's in the process of destroying.

No, of course Corvus isn't Dathomir. I never said it was, neither did the story on screen.

And I explicitly addressed your second point right there in the very post you're quoting, but apparently didn't read. No, she can't be a Nightsister. She isn't even the right species to have ever been one, other issues aside. Which is why I pointed out that in the old EU there were other tribes on Dathomir, not just the Nightsisters.

There is nothing in the episode to directly suggest the fan theory might be a thing, but nothing that directly contradicts it either. It's just kind of a fun idea to kick around.

17. fireproof78

I wonder if that species learns primary via Force contact, and other ways of communicating do not come until later.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  18. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then we're back to implying the entire species is force sensitive, which just doesn't seem to fit in with Star Wars. An entire race of super force users? And somehow only 3 ended up as Jedi? Meanwhile all the "chosen ones" are humans?

19. fireproof78

I don't see the issue. Many species didn't like the Jedi taking their children and some other planets had their own ways of using the Force. Kind of like the Bendu.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well if we presume for a second that Yoda's 900 years is advanced even for his species, let's say that's roughly equivalent to a 90 year old human. If so, then 50 would equate to about 5.
    Of course that's not hard and fast, since as noted in the first episode; species develop at different rates. They could have an exceedingly long infancy where they're basically helpless, followed by a relatively brief adolescence before passing into full adulthood.

Most settled planets use their own local calendars, but yes, for general reckoning Coruscant's year is the benchmark. Think of it like UTC.

It fell so quickly because Palpatine set-up Operation Cinder as a sort of self destruct in the event that he died. He didn't want his Empire to endure beyond him, not have anyone else take control of it.

He didn't "tell" her so much as she "felt" his thoughts and memories.
    As I stated above, making a direct 1:1 comparison to human development may not be very accurate.
    For what it's worth he'd have been about 20 when Order 66 went down. Assuming he was taken to the temple at two or three (or hell, maybe he was born in the temple!)
    It has been established that some species have a more natural affinity to the force. Maybe their homeworld was once one of the mini-chlorian wellspring worlds? We know from just the Skywalkers that force sensitivity can be a genetic trait, so why not a whole species?
    Evolutionarily speaking; a naturally long life span would indicate a very low birth rate, otherwise they'd quickly overrun their ecosystem. That means there's really not going to be very many of them. So for all we know there's only ever a handful in the entire galaxy!

As for the "Chosen One", remember that refers to a very specific prophecy. It's not as if the Force hasn't "chosen" thousands if not millions of others from all species over the millennia for deeds both legendary and obscure.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    fireproof78 and 137th Gebirg like this.