The general Trek goofs and/or mistakes topic

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by PureCrimson, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Bigaquarium

Bigaquarium Cadet Newbie

Hi,

Since this thread isn’t yet a year long in the tooth...

In “Night Terrors, how was the away team able to beam to the USS Brittain without having their energy absorbed into the Tyken’s rift?

Thanks!

-Nathan

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

You cut this close enough the quick is bleeding.

3. sumbuddyx

sumbuddyx Captain Captain

This is one I've noticed few people have picked up on: In various Star Trek The Next Generation episodes, upon issuing commands to his staff to fulfill his directives Captain Picard will often say "Make it sew" but still even later in the episode we never see anyone sewing.

4. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone likes tomatoes, folks.

sumbuddyx likes this.
  5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

To me the silly thing about Night Terrors is that the entire escape depended on, for the only time ever, the list of chemicals having orbital diagrams of every substance. Which is a completely useless thing for the list to have in literally every other imaginable case.

6. X24actor

X24actor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Inconsistent warp effect in Generations. Yet another in a long list of aesthetic inconsistencies in that movie. The Enterprise-B at warp is the lightstream effect from the first six movies. The Enterprise-D at warp is the familiar Berman era subspace effect. In VOY: Flashback, the Excelsior is seen with the subspace effect, keeping it consistent with the series. Every episode and movie but Generations has a consistent warp effect within the story. I think one episode of early TNG showed the Enterprise-D with the lightstream effect.

Also, alcohol in Star Trek. I understand synthehol has not replaced alcohol in the future, but I always thought the replicators wouldn't do alcohol. In VOY: Vis a Vis, Tom Paris (doppleganger) replicated alcohol and was reprimanded. Unless he hacked the system, I think it's a goof.

7. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In TOS, the doors on the ship are all slide doors on automatic, ie they sense someone approaching and open

Yet

In "Amok Time",(I think), Spock while having an emotional episode goes into his quarters in a distressed state and falls back into the door after it closed behind him. He didn't seem to put any lock on it, or motion to press anything that locked his door.
    So how come he didn't fall back through it ?

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The door sensors can obviously tell whether you're facing toward or away from it. :p

9. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Premium Member

The doors have drama sensors.
    1BE270A8-4C61-4B0A-A746-3FC7B3E5496B.gif
    From “The Naked Time”.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see the algorithm for calculating Dramaz...

GNDN18 likes this.
  11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Commodore Commodore

You sure about that? I haven't had time to watch the whole episode, and nothing is popping up in clips online. But in any case, Generations did it correctly with the different eras of warp drive having different effects. If Flashback has the Excelsior with a 24th century effect, that is the error.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The stagehands operating those doors are smarter than people give 'em credit for.

13. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In "Unification, part II" on TNG, there's a reflection from a glass piece on the procounul's desk, and it shows one of the show's sound technicians, I believe.

14. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

would have been "interesting" if they had closed the doors, then quickly reopened them.

:lol:

GNDN18 likes this.
  15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^ Too smart to piss off the co-star. :p

16. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Don't you know? By Archer's time, they managed to improve on the automatic doors with a gadget that can scan people brains and determine their intent. Folks got tired of the automatic doors opening on cold and snowy days whenever people walked by the store or office.....

17. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps you can adjust the settings on your doors for things like that. So if I walk through my door and it shuts behind me, it can't open again for another 10 seconds. Plus, it might detect forward motion, subconscious cues from one's eye movements, etc.

18. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps :)