The Future of DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Arpy, Jul 7, 2020.

1. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Why don't we just have the Bajoran sun go nova, destroying all life in the wormhole, Bajor, and the nearby systems including Cardassia?

2. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ In that case, why not just have a galactic level extinction event -no survivors of any sapient species in the galaxy- and get it all over with?

STEPhon IT likes this.
  3. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You really don't like it when people write "bad endings" eh? Relax! This thread is 100% non-canon and you can imagine the future of the DS9 crew however you wish.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  4. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I don't mind a sad ending, as long as it's interesting. "And then an earthquake came and made a building collapse on them" is not interesting to me.

5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

OK, I have just ended my third run of watching the series so I feel for a more detailed prediction of the future for our heroes.

Ben Sisko: After one year among the prophets, he returned to the station and once again became Commander there.

Kira Nerys: The Bajoran liasion officer od DS9

Ezri Dax: Science Officer and counselor on the station.

Julian Bashir: Doctor on DS9 (OK, I live his relationship with Ezri open, I haven't made up my mind about it. But I have nothing against it actually)

Nog: Commander on the Defiant which is stationed at DS9.

Quark: He has turned his bar on the station to THE entertainment place in the Federation. No musician, singer or any entertaining artist is worth his or her name if he or she doesn't perform regularily at Quarks bar.

Miles O'Brien: Got bored after one year at the Academy. When his successor as main engineer on the station married a dabo girl and quit Starfleet, O'Brien applied to have his old job back and got it. Keiko works as a botanist at Bajor and cardassia.

Worf: He got tired of Chronos, wanted a new mission and is now Klingon Ambassador on DS9 and Bajor.

Elim Garak: He tried to adapt to a new life on Cardassia but found the changes too hard to stand and became very depressed. His old friend Bashir visited him, saw how sad he was and came up with the idea that he could be the cardassian Ambassador on Bajor which made it possible for him to settle on the station again.

Odo: After have cured his people, he decided to do all he could to establish good relations between his people and the "solids" in the Alpha Quadrant and the best way to do it was to become Ambassador for The Founders in the Alpha Quadrant. And what place would be better to do that than on DS9.

Rom: The changes on Ferenginar which were started by Zek didn't last long. A conservative party started by Brunt managed to seize power and Rom was forced to resign. However, Quark intevened and made Brunt assign him as Ambassador to Bajor.

Leeta: Still married to Rom

Kasidy Sisko: Married to Ben Sisko. Lives on Bajor in the house ben built, raising their son. She frequently visit the station too.

Jake Sisko: Chief Editor for a media bureau which covers news and events on Bajor, cardassa and the gamma Quadrant.

Ro Laren: She survived the war and replaced Odo as security chief on DS9. Still got the job.

Morn: Still a regular customer att Quark's.

Vic Fontaine: Still entertain people in his holographic establishment which is a part of Quark's Entertainment Palace.

Now, that secenario would be perfect for upcoming novels and stories about our heroes, wouldn't it.

As for me, the Prophets has predicted that on the evening of New Years Day, I will sit down in front of my TV to watch "Emissary" again, theus starting a new cycle of DS9 watching. :bolian:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  6. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought I did justice to the main characters, as for the secondary characters I thought there would be some calamity to them. Not everyone can have a happy ending, but if Sisko was going to return I thought a clean slate for his next mission would be appropriate. Heck, a lot of protagonists have these expositions to journey on to something new and more dangerous.

Orphalesion likes this.
  7. Anthony Williams

Anthony Williams Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well we can all be predictable and boring. Just giving a different perspective people do make career changes...

STEPhon IT and Orphalesion like this.
  8. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a cool thread, I'd love to read other's thoughts on a future of these characters.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: That was the pretty much the original plan for the Countdown comic in 2008 (and presumably the 2009 reboot movie) The Star Trek Online devs complained that it would annihilate the game they were working so hard on, and the destruction was scaled back to Romulus. And then a decade later we got Star Trek Picard following up on that.

10. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Online saved the prime timeline from destruction? Way to go STO!

It seems unfair to blame them for Picard because of that though...

11. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's fun to take a stab at the future of the future.. so here goes:

Sisko: Never verifiably returns from the celestial temple. Cassidy, Jake, and Cassidy's son with Ben, Lafeyette Yates-Sisko, all claim over the years to have had a handful of visions of him, but there's no proof as to whether these experiences are indeed real. The Bajorans, for their part, take them as real and an offshoot of the Vedeks have devoted themselves to studying what they have said about these experiences and tried to correlate them with ancient Bajoran texts relating to the Emissary. Initially treated as friends by the Siskos, this group eventually began to unnerve them and they cut off all contact. They are slowly gaining a following on Bajor and beginning to gain political power.

O'Brien: After the war, went to his assignment at Starfleet Academy, but left after only a couple of years. He currently lives on a planet only a few dozen light years away from Bajor with Keiko, who is a botanist studying the local plant life. He still suffers from the after effects of traumatic stress from all of his painful experiences over the years. It was never formally diagnosed because he can't stand those "damn doctors trying to crawl inside my head" but everyone who knows him can tell he's dealing with something.

Molly: A Starfleet Counselor. While she has undeniable engineering ability she inherited from her father, she wanted to help her father and thought this would be a way to do that. He can't actually be her patient, being her daughter and all, but whenever she sees them she tries to help as best she can. Miles finds the whole thing annoying and is constantly telling her to stop filling her mother with all this "advice" he doesn't need.

Julian: Quite happy in his relationship with Ezri, but otherwise feeling lonely when everyone went their separate ways after the war. Leaves DS9 for an exciting new opportunity at a Federation medical research post. His work fills him with some of that same youthful optimism he felt when he first arrived at DS9, and it has him up for the Carrington prize again. He still thinks he won't win.

Worf: Serves as Klingon Ambassador to the Federation for all 8 years of Martok's reign as emporer. Martok is killed when he, now old and weakened by wounds suffered during the war, loses a challenge to his position in honorable combat. The post-Martok years for the Empire have seen a return of old tensions with the Federation that had, up to that point, eased. Officially the Klingons and Federations are still allies under the Kitomer Accords, but as often happens with the Klingons, it is easy to slight them, and they are slow to forgive. Some deterioration in the relationship was inevitable. Now he is retired from public life, and is weary of the conflict so he stays mostly out of sight, with very infrequent contact to his friends.

Rom: An excellent engineer, he is a very poor politician. Most Ferrengi initially fear him, since they fear the Nagus, whomever he is, in general. That fear gives way to anger and a near revolt over the reforms he tried to institute. He was only able to retain his position by some shrewd maneuvering by Leeta. Rom still in some ways wants to be to be a traditional Ferrengi and didn't want to listen to her at first, but when it became clear he was in danger of exile or being killed, he relented and it is clear to his inner circle that Leeta is really the "lobes" behind the staff. The general Ferrengi population, however, are unaware of this.

Kira: Commanding officer of DS9 for many years, and currently head of the Bajoran Defense Forces. She eventually married a Vedek a couple of years afterh the end of the show and has two children. One grown and running for office in the Bajoran General Assembly, the other a teenager still living on Bajor with her.

DS9: Owned by Bajor, but run by the Federation by treaty which is about to expire. As the gateway to the Gamma Quadrant it remained the central commerce hub for the sector. The major military might in the area is not on the station, but rather a new orbital shipyard and starbase recently completed by the Bajorans. After decades of occupation and dependence on others for basic necessities, they are asserting themselves both militarily and diplomatically, making continued Federation presence in the area questionable.

Odo: Never returns from the great link. However, contact with changlings has increased over the years - peacefully. On the rare occasions that Kira has encountered one, she sees the same look in their eyes that Odo once had for her. She believes it is because they share memories within the link, and that he is the reason the changlings are no longer hostile toward humanoids.

Garak: Instrumental in helping consolidate Damar's power and solidify his position after the fall of the Dominion. He is currently facing a slow, mysterious, but unfortunately certain end by poisoning. No one knows for certain, including him, whether the assassin was someone loyal to Dukat, a foe from the Obsidian Order, a relative of someone he killed while a member of the Order, or even perhaps ... the Dominion? There are, after all... so many enemies.