Spoilers The Flash - Season 8 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You have to consider the context. If it had ended on its own terms and passed the torch to other Arrowverse shows, that would be a satisfying ending. But the Arrowverse has been abruptly gutted due to corporate shenanigans, and The Flash was the only series left in that reality. So a whole thriving shared universe has unexpectedly collapsed in a very short time due to external factors, and that's frustrating.

I feel just the opposite. Season-long arcs aren't enough for a superhero show. Superhero series should be about the heroes helping lots of different people and stopping a lot of different threats, not just butting their heads against a single problem for 12 weeks until they finally crack it in the finale. Solving procedural cases of the week isn't "filler," it's what should be the meat and potatoes of a superhero series, because then the heroes actually get to be heroic, actually get to help people and score victories. I vastly prefer The Flash's approach of strong episodic plots with a larger arc building in the background to Superman & Lois's pure serialization, where Superman comes off as ineffectual because he's failing over and over against a single bad guy until he finally ekes out a win.

Caretaker and kirk55555 like this.
  2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished season 8....

With the glowing blue thing at the end, in a lab in 2049, who or what were they reffering to?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I guess I misstated my own feelings Christopher. I personally agree with you. I never had a problem witj tandalone episodes. Having a mix of those and ongoing plot lines is big reason I am still a fan. Even if I was not a fan of a current arc there were always other episodes to enjoy each season. I was talking of others who often talk of shorter seasons equal better. Which is not true at all. I am just relieved we are getting a last season.

The Flash over its whole run has created a very interesting mythology form the past, present, future, and alternate universes. While Superman and Lois has tunnel vision.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was the shared universe still thriving? S&L were yanked from it before the shenanigans began, Arrow ended, new shows were not in universe and pretty much every show including The Flash had low ratings. The universe was coming to an end on its own.

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Most people suspect it is a reference to Cobalt Blue (just google "Cobalt Blue Flash" and it will explain all about that character).

Mage likes this.
  6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, thanks for that!
    Interesting take, never heard of this. Could be an fun way to finish the show.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting fact from Nexstar who bought a majority share in The CW - the average viewer age is 58.

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

That is surprising.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Who else watches TV these days?