Spoilers The Flash - Season 8 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Giganta and Atom were romantically linked as far back as 1979.

DC and the TV Producers had no idea at the time, that the actress playing Giganta was Trans.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

And he was really just Ted Kord.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Part of me wishes season 9 started in September just so it could end in 2024. That was always THE year they kept mentioning in the show and so what better way to end it there. Especially if the last episode is on the 24th of April 2024.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They MIGHT have tried for that, but I think Zaslav (Crisis of Infinite Executives ) has initiated the shutdown earlier.

I wonder if that date will be referenced or If a special might be done of whatever HBO Max will become

5. thribs

Yeah. I am surprised they haven’t decided to do any “ArrowVerse specials” for HBO Max yet. They must have decided they won’t be popular enough.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

So, when he thought the final season would still be 20+ episodes like the regular seasons so far, showrunner Eric Wallace wanted to have a two-parter resolving the Legends of Tomorrow cliffhanger ending. As it stands, they are going to appear in one episode.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  7. thribs

It’s only 13 episodes? Why are they so lazy these days?

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How does "lazy" factor into it?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

For one thing, if you read the article, you should know that it wasn't the producers' choice; the network only ordered 13 episodes.

For another thing, shorter seasons aren't due to laziness; on the contrary, by putting the same amount of time, effort, and money into fewer episodes per season, they can make each episode stronger and better-made, and not have to settle for filming weak scripts because they need to fill a larger episode order. At least, that's the theory behind the trend toward shorter seasons.

10. thribs

Rather have proper length seasons. Get your money’s worth when the blu ray comes out.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Size matters not.

Ovation likes this.
  12. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shame we're not getting a full two-parter but some degree of closure is still better than none at all. I'd have even taken just Sara and Ava introducing baby Oliver to Barry. (We all know that's going to be the name!)

I surprised DC Comics haven't stepped up and done a Season 8 mini-series.

13. Rich Watson

What's "proper length"? On this side of the world six episodes is proper length for 90% of shows.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's anything to do with that. It's more to do with the Flash movie coming in June. They want people to focus on one Flash.

15. Rich Watson

And the CW having no money.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They did the Earth-Prime miniseries that just came out in trade paperback. One issue each for Batwoman, Superman & Lois, Legends, Stargirl, and The Flash (focusing on Impulse & XS in the future) and a sixth crossover issue, each with a main story and a short backup story, except for the Stargirl issue. I found the crossover (involving the Arrowverse version of Kingdom Come's magog) disappointing, but the individual stories were fairly good. The Legends issue's main story focuses on all the ex-Legends getting together for an adventure, which is nice, and the backup story fills in what Booster Gold was doing on the Waverider during the series finale. (The Batwoman story has Ryan and Lena Luthor teaming up against Clayface during the mid-season 3 hiatus, with a backup by Camrus Johnson explaining why his romance with Stephanie Brown didn't last. The S&L issue has a nice flashback story to Clark & Lois's first anniversary, plus the origin of the evil Superman from season 1. The Stargirl issue is set during the family vacation between seasons 2 & 3. And yes, two of the Earth-Prime issues are not actually set on Earth-Prime.)

So maybe there's hope that there will be more Arrowverse comics in the future. And they are considered essentially canonical, at least until they get overwritten by new canon (which is unilkely to be a factor after this season). There are elements that evidently set up plot points in The Flash's final season.

Morpheus 02 likes this.