Spoilers The Flash - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Teryl Rothery is probably unaware about how close she came to headlining a Crisis.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Nora died the way she lived. By making terrible decisions. :)
    She should have just gone through the reverse speed force. At least she will still be alive.
    Anyway, hopefully that paves the way for the Tornado Twins.

Doc Mugatu likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, yeah. They're both superhero wives involved in the same infamous storyline, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Anyway, I guess that means there's probably love in the air for Ralph rather than supervillainy. Well, there will be supervillainy, just not in that direction.

Meanwhile, Arrowverse Jean Loring (Teryl Rothery) was established as the Queen family attorney before Ray Palmer was introduced, so they retconned his late fiancee's name to Anna Loring (no known relation). That makes it unlikely that either Loring will pose a threat to Sue Dearbon next season, though it'd be a hell of a twist to have the big bad next year whip off her mask and reveal Teryl Rothery underneath.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Really enjoyed this season of Flash. Nora's arc was interesting and the twist with the reverse Flash had me hooked.
    But where did this reverse flash come from?

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

GOD DAMMIT. I had forgotten ALL about that shitty story and you have to drag it back into my memory....

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jean Loring would like to literally stamp it out of your mind.

Ovation likes this.
  7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

A+.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I really enjoyed Flash Season 5. After season 4 was unwatchable shit, having the show make a comeback and go back to being one of my favorite (currently airing) superhero TV shows was nice. Heck, I even cared about the stuff with Nora. The only big problems were, first off, Cisco, his whole arc was bullshit, and obviously only existed because the actor wanted to leave. Vibe is not The Hulk, his powers aren't a burden and pretending that he can't have a life if he has them is the stupidest thing the show did this season. It made Cisco whiny and actually breaks my suspension of disbelief, which is impressive for a show where I mostly accept its periodic time travel bullshit. The second problem was how shit both Cicada's were as the big bad, but I'm used to The Flash having no good major villains outside of Thawne.

But besides that, the season was solid. If the stuff with Cisco hadn't happened, Cicada had been better and Fake Ralph Dibny had died, it would have been a great season. But,Fake Ralph managed to stay in the background enough that I could ignore him, I expected Cicada to be mediocre and I'm honestly just glad I (presumably) won't have to listen to Cisco whining anymore.

Hopefully next season will have a more interesting villain, and I also really hope the show doesn't try to ruin Sue Dibny. Between Brad Meltzer and (unfortunately) Gail Simone, Sue has been ruined enough in the comics. The last thing we need is a fake Sue to go along with Fake Ralph. Knowing this show, Sue will probably be a serial killer with meta powers who Ralph falls for and starts helping, or something equally stupid.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's NOT fake.
    This is an adaptation, not a 1:1 copy. He doesn't need match the comics exactly.
    None of the characters in any of these shows match 1:1 to the comics.
    You might as well call all of them fake with that logic.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If he has absolutely no connection to the actual Ralph except they have similar powers, he's fake. Just like Fake Atom Smasher, Fake Doctor Light, Fake Jesse Quick, etc. The real Ralph Dibny was never a police detective, he sure as fuck was never corrupt, and he got his powers from a special fruit extract, not a shitty character that stole The Thinker's name. There are no real similarities between TV Ralph and real Ralph except that they stretch. Hell, the real Ralph only had shapeshifting powers in one shitty comic (Gail Simone's New 52 Secret Six book) and thats pretty much it, so really TV Ralph is actually more like Plastic Man then he is Elongated Man. Hell, they're also both former criminals. Give Fake Ralph a red suit and he is just Plastic Man (but a lot less entertaining)

If they aren't the comics character, then they're a shitty OC of the show's writers that stole the name, and as much as I enjoy The Flash when its good, the show pulls that bullshit way too much. So does the entire DC CW universe actually, but if I start thinking about the fake Legion of Superheroes characters or the Fake JSA I will literally just start frothing with anger and write a damn essay so I'm not going to go down that road.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They are all fake. They're fictional characters. The comics characters are just as made-up as their adaptations.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There have been several versions of the character, and of all of these characters over 2 centuries.
    None of them are more real or fake than the others.

No one should ever get this upset over a fictional franchise. I'm sorry but you're taking this way too seriously. It probably isn't healthy.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

The temporal elements of that last episode and, frankly, to one degree or another, a lot of the entire run of The Flash, aren't how this works, and aren't how anything works. :D And because of that...
    ...I'm hoping that the reason Nora disappeared is because Barry is "destined" to disappear in the Crisis in 2019 as of right now, never having fathered her, and when Oliver makes whatever sacrifice he's going to make to save Barry and Kara, it will correct that and she will reappear. I don't care if it's the same version of her - might have a different history and personality - as long as the same actress plays her, because she's adorable and pretty much my favorite on the show.
    There's been more than several. There's literally been an *infinite number* of them. And since these don't correspond 1:1 to any versions we've seen before, obviously, this is a different Earth than those - but no more or less REAL, and to imply so is disrespectful to the Golden Age Superman, so... ;)

14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fake isn't really the accurate word. I think you mean they aren't accurate to the comic book versions you prefer. Unless of course when you say "fake" your basically speaking more from the heart than some overall general rule as to how the characters should be written. Thus they are, fake, to you.

Jason

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He means that he is insulted, like when Mom remarries.

The CW are not slaves to comic books, although if Robbie is coming back for Crisis, what is his relationship with Killer Frost going to be like? Will she even be into that Beefcake?

Or is Frost gay for Snow?

That's some Ladyhawke Shit there.

Although they have access to time machines, so sex is totally possible.

16. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These franchises wouldn't/couldn't exist without this [arguably] irrational passion. This is what Disney paid $4 billion for when they acquired Star Wars. This is what Disney paid $4 billion for when they purchased Marvel Comics.

Though to the point of characters and how they are different from their comic book inspirations, well, That just reminds me of what I remember Stan Lee mentioning at a convention some years back. Each medium is different. Live action is different from animation which is different than comic books. Those differences need to be respected. The example he gave related to the comic book versus TV Hulks. In the comics they could get away with "HULK, SMASH!" and similar dialogue, however, in a live action setting it came across as cheesy so the decided the Hulk would just growl.

17. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In fairness, we won't know until they actually try it. The show was pretty popular, and I doubt they lose one viewer because Ferrigno is saying, "Hulk Smash," and I agree that there is nothing wrong with a passionate fanbase.

I liked her too, but I also think that she made a sacrifice that matters. Given that she doesn't exist in the comics to my knowledge, and given that Barry does have descendants in the comics, this works very well to tell the story they wanted and have a real consequence. PLUS, if you think about it--Barry deserves this. His own selfish playing around through time erased Diggle's daughter. If you think about it, since time is relative, he erased this baby's life, and all the lives she would affect including future children. Sarah will never be a baby, a child, a teen, an adult, a mother, grandmother, etc. Yes, you can say that John's son wouldn't have existed, but is that really a consolation? Maybe meeting Nora before she erased her own existence is the universe paying Barry back for Sarah.

18. USS Triumphant

You make a strong case. But because I like the actress, I'm hoping that you're either wrong, or they find a way to bring her back aboard during the Crisis - maybe as a parallel Earth version of herself who ends up working with the team but has a completely different history and superhero identity and doesn't understand (at least for a while) why Barry and Iris are weirded out and upset by her - adding torture to torture as "their daughter" is basically right there but... not. Add her to the Legends for a while.

19. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suppose anything is possible in a parallel Earth. I would definitely keep Nora gone. Barry and Iris at least have the memories of her existence. The reason I would keep Nora gone is that the COIE, whose date was somehow moved up by Nora, prevented Barry and Iris from conceiving her.

If you think about it, it's very hard not to mess up your conception if you travel back in time and meet your parents. You know this from basic biology. Nora has to be conceived to the same second in the new timeline, and that's not easy.

If the COIE prevents that conception, there's nothing they can do.

Picture this--Barry is occupied with the COIE in this timeline when he should be doing the nasty with Iris.

No Nora.

Siblings? Sure. But no Nora.

Let's assume Barry survives Crisis and realizes that he should have conceived Nora based on knowing when Nora was born. Let's assume they had that conversation off camera.

Given the way biology works, even if he travels back and tries to get it on with Iris in the right month to get the right egg, Barry is older than the Barry that fathered Nora, and that egg will be hit with different genetic material and wouldn't be Nora. Could even be a son.

Or dare I say it, twins? In fact, wouldn't it be even better since a) the twins are the comic book children and b) you have a story of dealing with the fact that Nora cannot be conceived at all.

Also don't forget, Thawne knew the name Dawn.

But a parallel Earth? THAT is absolutely doable.

20. USS Triumphant

I'm not sure it was Nora directly. I think *Thawne* may have done it, with whatever he did right after running off.
    Believe me, I've thought about this more extensively than you can know.
    It definitely is. I didn't invent that idea about a parallel version of her that has a different history and memories: I've got personal experience with a very similar situation. And I'll leave it at that. This last season has been a bit eerie for my wife and me.