Spoilers The Expanse Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by KennyB, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Unionized Elf

Unionized Elf Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's kind of a catch-22 situation with me. I don't like binging, but I have no willpower to not watch the next episode right away, so I'm glad to have the option removed.

KennyB, Skywalker and RAMA like this.
  2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think it's best for some shows to go week-to-week rather than binge dropped. It's hard for a show to maintain the long term attention of audiences as a whole when most everyone has watched the entire season in just a few days.

Part of staying in that zeitgeist is the water-cooler effect, and you can't maintain an active community discussion if everyone is watching the show at different paces. Indeed you only have to look at a handful of threads right here for binge shows and see how disjointed and perfunctory the discussion become when we don't have the chance to process between episodes, and are figuratively never on the same page.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So is this the best scifi year end in history? Expanse and Discovery, Mandalorian, The Boys, Etc.

Hell we had some medium level hits like Lost in Space and some all-time great ones throughout the year, like Devs.

Who needs movies?

Expanse for Xmas

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

As far as streaming pace, it depends on the show for me. Like with Lovecraft Country, each episode usually focuses on a distinct event/scenario and a particular set of the cast. It works pretty well paced out each week. However, with something like The Boys where the story is basically one big potboiler it's kind of hurts not being able to consume it as a faster pace where the events quickly spill over into the next.

At least speaking selfishly, I don't know if a weekly release helps with maintaining buzz longer or fostering more discussion.

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Even if a whole season drops, my wife and watch these shows one-a-week anyway, as if they were old-fashioned network shows, so this works for us.

BELTA YODA!!! (or whatever the hell they say)

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Beltalowda (which means "all Belters" or "People of the Belt).

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a derivative of German.
    Belt Leute, which means Belt People.

8. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All these shows are on streaming services. While I'm incredibly happy, I really don't think that the number of people who like sci-fi is changed. It's just TPTB realized we are eager to pay for it. I'm not complaining ;)

9. DigificWriter

The Belter language is officially called Belter Creole, or Lang Belta among the Belters themselves.

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

"-lowda" being a collectivizing suffix ("milowda" is "us," "beltalowda" is all belters, "inyalowda" is all Martians/Earthers (Inners)) actually comes from english. As in "loads of." The Belter word for "steer," "bang," comes from the german "bahn," though there's a folk etymology that says it comes from Belter pilots banging their controls from side to side when flying their ships. Conlangers have fun.

11. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Commander Red Shirt

RAMA and KennyB like this.
  12. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

^ That's fantastic news! Now all I want for Christmas is a Roci and a Donnager miniature.

13. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Commander Red Shirt

In the article it said towards the end of 2021 or even in 2022, so it's gonna be a long wait.
    the (black/orange) Roci is definitely on my wish list as well.

14. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel The Investigator Premium Member

It looks like I'll buy some other ships then. I looked at their website for the first time a few days ago.

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume this season is all content filmed before the Cas Anvar allegations?

16. Unionized Elf

The season finished filming in February, and the Cas Anvar allegations didn't start until the summer.

KennyB likes this.
  17. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Admiral Admiral

If season 5 finishes at the same point that book 6 does and season 6 (if it happens) follows the time framing of book 7, perhaps they could either credibly omit the character of Alex Kamal altogether or simply recast.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  18. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

I think recasting this far in would be weird. They could kill him off, or just put him on a bus at the top of following season. There's a fairly easy way to fill his place on the crew with an existing character after all.

Mind you, they're still just allegations at this point and supposedly internal investigations are ongoing...or are finished and they're just waiting for the season to drop before talking about it one way or the other.

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  19. Unionized Elf

Since this matter was being discussed earlier in this thread, I'll post it here. This site is reporting a Blu-ray release of season 4 on December 15, the day before season 5 premieres.

David cgc and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  20. DigificWriter

Given that we haven't heard anything at all about the investigation into the allegations against Cas, I doubt his status for a potential Season 6 is in question at the present time.