Poll The ever-changing Trekthusiam thread!

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 12, 2019.

?

How hyped are you for future Star Trek?

1. Crazy excited

40.0%
  2. Mildly excited

33.6%
  3. Apathetic

17.9%
  4. Depressed

7.1%
  5. Angry/Done

1.4%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Genuine question time-is the current productions of Star Trek so poor that it will cause actual loss of interest in the franchise? I mean, whether I enjoy a current show or not I will discuss Star Trek in many different facets, write fan fiction, design uniforms and ships, for a long time to come.

So, I'm curious if anyone would actually leave the fandom over DSC or other shows that fail to live up to expectations?

2. Brass

Brass Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am mildly excited. More accurately I am cautiously optimistic. Havent watched DSC yet, mainly due to the mixed reaction it got. I will give it a shot later on, maybe after season 2 is done. I am mainly looking forward to the Picard series. TNG and DS9 are my favorite series so hopefully it makes the future of that era interesting. A whole lot of new and different things can be done, while tying in TNG/Picard, but it can also be a disaster if handled poorly.

3. Brass

I don't know if there is something that could be so bad, that it would make me not like Star Trek anymore.Even when something "less than perfect" gets put out there, I can always ignore it and stick with the old stuff. It would have to be really, really terrible. There has already been a lot of bad stuff over the years.

Maybe something like Picard in a Punisher like role? Picard driving the dune buggy for 10 hours?

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As if Picard as the action hero in FC or NEM wasn't enough? As you state there has been plenty of bad stuff over the years for Trek, yet I see people coming back.

5. Brass

I am one of those who keeps coming back, even after first contact and nemesis. Do I watch those still? Nope, probably only if there was nothing on TV and I happened across it channel surfing. Those are definitely things that if they repeated that formula/flavor, the new show/movie would turn me off big time. Those instances of bad eggs have made me temper my expectations when it comes to new content. However I will try out new trek when it comes out. Like I said, cautiously optimistic.

I think as long as they maintain a good ratio of "good" to "bad" trek people will remain interested. I think that has been the case with Trek for a while. Some big stinkers, but overall the content has been pretty good. I enjoyed the Abrams movies, (at least 1 and 3). Havent watched DSC yet, mainly because I dont want to pay 10/month (I'm a cheapskate).

Not to get off topic, but SW is an example where it has been mostly bad since 1999...that IP is kind of dull/uninteresting to me now. That said, if the new Star Trek Cartoon is anything like Clone Wars(quality, not formula necessarily), they would be on the right track for getting kids interested. Hopefully those in charge of Star Trek learn the lesson of over saturation as well. Which is what sorta killed ST, as least partly, with VOY/ENT.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  6. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Went for Crazy, but that might be a little strong. However, mildly excited is definitely not strong enough.

I was definitely at crazy excited throughout the first season of Disco, and at the time of the Picard announcement.

Whilst I enjoyed the Kelvin films, I'm not particularly bothered if we don't get more. They were always a stop gap for me until better Trek came along.

Was mildly disappointed that we ended up with a prequel again, but enjoy Disco anyway. Very psyched for Picard.

7. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

Depressed because Discovery really shows to me that those who are in control of Star Trek don't actually get (or really care about) Star Trek on a fundamental level, Discovery is basically a dumb generic Kurtzman project with Star Trek slapped onto it for marketing reasons and it's even worse they've put this absolute hack who just goes from one project and leaving it in disaster to another, in charge of the franchise.

Picard I'm very cautious about, it could be a good show if they get Picard and the TNG era universe right in it's politics or morality (which I extremely highly doubt from what we have seen with Disco and S31 show coming along) but more than likely I think it's just going to be another messy poorly written piece that has a completely off tone if what we have seen on Discovery is any indicator.

Section 31 show just no, no, I won't even be watching this at all. S31 was a bad edgy idea that walked a very fine tight rope of just completely imploding in DS9 but saved it by keeping it vague to it's true nature (heavily implying Sloan and SFI just made it up to recruit Bashir), was sadly solidified into being a long running faction in ENT and Discovery's version of them has finally completed what fan fears about S31 and it's implications on the Federation back when they were initially shown 20 years ago. Empress Georgiou is also not a good or interesting character (and should be in prison) and Ash is in a running with Burnham and Neelix for being the worst main Trek character ever.

8. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

That pretty much sums up my view as well. STD does nothing for me. I'm moderately curious about the new Picard show but not getting my hopes up.

Worst case scenario... I'll always have TOS, DS9, VOY, ENT, selected highlights from TNG and the first 10 movies to watch.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still going with "Mildly excited", but following an awesome second season of Discovery I have much more faith in these people to deliver entertaining adventures. So it's gone from a low mild to a very high mild.:techman:

urbandk likes this.
  10. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I'm crazy excited. I remember being excited about Enterprise and then disappointed by its weak execution, especially in seasons 1 and 2. I get the feeling sometimes people don't remember how dark things were for trek for five to ten years. Even the Kelvin-verse films were cool, but ultimately just two more hours of trek once every three years. The possibility of lots of new Trek content is a first in more than twenty years. The possibility of lots of qualitatively different Trek content is a first in my lifetime (well, excluding the TOS films running alongside TNG). That's what appeals to me most. I love Discovery, but understand that some don't. Fine. There's other, different Trek stuff in the works. Kurtzman has made it clear that each Trek property has to come from a different angle. That's an excellent approach, and I wish them all godspeed. I hope this new status quo is sustainable for a long time to come.

Alan Roi and Vger23 like this.
  11. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Crazy excited. Despite the desires of some for the franchise to remain pure and dead, there seems to be more announcements every month for something new. TV was always the better medium for Star Trek, and based on my enjoyment of Discovery, I think the future looks bright.

Alan Roi likes this.
  12. Unicorn

Unicorn Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Crazy excited! I love Discovery, and can't wait to see the other ones (even if they do turn out terrible), I'm excited that they're trying something new with the franchise. Just having new Trek to look forward to that isn't litverse/one movie every 3 years, feels great

13. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very excited about Trek's future. I still adore the TNG/DS9 time frame but I'm open to wherever the new stuff goes.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm losing my mind with unbridled enthusiasm and uncontrolled excitement.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Update:

1. Excited about DSC S3 and the S31 Series. Plus any Short Treks related to them.

2. Very interested in the Tarantino movie.

3. I want to be excited about Picard but I'm just not there. I'm "wait and see". At the end of the day, the 24th 25th Century isn't really my thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean I won't like it. It just won't be my favorite.

4. As far as everything else: I'm not very intetested in what I call "All Those Series". Just because I'm back for Discovery does not mean I personally am for the rest. But I hope between all these shows, there's something for everyone.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

-Apathetic about Discovery Season 3
    -Crazy excited about STP
    -Would be very excited about about any future Trek movie (QT or otherwise) if they were actually happening
    -Mildly excited about Section 31 show Michelle Yeoh: Yes. Kurtzman in charge: No
    -Apathetic about rest of the announced lineup. It's good for Trek that it's announced, but I'm not losing my head about it until we get more details

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess before I said I was apathetic for new Trek. The more we get into the summer and closer we get to Picard, I am mildly enthusiastic. I want Trek to succeed, and while I'm not as high on Discovery, there is still an open chance for a trek series to be good and enjoyable to me. I guess it depends on my mood at the time.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Changing mine to "crazy excited" while Star Trek 4 is back on and Picard is just 2 months away!

19. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ST4 without Thor, meh, I was looking forward to that. But if ST4 improves in sales and CBSViacomParamaountDisney(!) (hey in few years you never know) want to throw more money around, we may get both Chris’s back for ST5

20. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

Guys, I have been... and always shall be... hyped for Star Trek :adore: