The end of Kurn (brainwashing)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Jun 22, 2019.

1. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Kurn/Rodek is a character in the excellent I.K.S. Gorkon series of books. Highly recommended for any Klingon fans.

Oh, and I hate this episode of DS9.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Kurn would have approved of any option that didn't end in his own death. Unfortunately for him, Worf was too human to do what needed to be done...at least, after his first attempt was interrupted.

Speaking strictly logically, as a compromise option this kind of works...in the sense that a compromise gives both parties something but leaves nobody entirely satisfied.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I am not sure Kurn got anything out of it. He ceased to exist (as Kurn definitely) but without the honorable death that he thought he was entitled to. The only one that got something is Worf.

4. DonIago

Unfortunately we couldn't exactly ask Kurn for his opinion on the matter. :p

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, we can make educated guesses.:D

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

"My life is in your hands:" I think we know Kurn's decision, even if we don't know whether or not he would approve of Worf's solution.

DonIago likes this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

To add insult to injury, later on Worf and Alexander were accepted into the House of Martok, which by that time was undoubtedly a very influential and esteemed house due to Martok's position as general, and then even more so when he became chancellor. Worf has this high-profile, prestigious career as he advances to ambassadorship. Meanwhile, Kurn/Rodek is living out a dreary backwater existence in some "small but proud" house that nobody ever heard of.

Kor

Terok Nor and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Kurn wasn't interested in earning back his honor. He wanted to check out. On the other hand, Worf was willing to let his deeds speak for themselves. They both won in that respect.

9. Kor

Though IIRC the novels have Rodek serving as a Lieutenant or something on the attack cruiser Gorkon, and Star Trek Online has him become a general. Maybe he still has the drive to lead, even though his brain was scrambled.

Kor

10. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

^This. Their fortunes changed so often, this was really no surprise. But ironically, in that same episode you mentioned, Alexander said Worf hadn't made the slightest effort to contact him in 5 years. So Worf's track record with family is the worst.

It's like if someone lost all their money, house, etc., and were despairing about life itself - and then their brother sedated them, brainwashed them, and shipped them off to China or someplace. Not really justifiable.

11. DonIago

And then their brother won the lottery. :p

Kor likes this.
  12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if Kurn had held out a little while, he likely would have been accepted into Martok's House and seen his political fortunes rise again.

NewHeavensNewEarth and kkt like this.
  13. Kor

On the other hand... maybe somewhere down the line Worf stubbornly refuses to support one of Martok's major decisions, and this gets Worf and his family booted out onto the street and considered by all Klingons to be dishonored. (again)

Kor

14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, anything is possible but I think that Martok feels like he really owes Worf a big deal after Worf let himself get stabbed (and possibly killed) just so Martok could regain his self-esteem.

15. NewHeavensNewEarth

Martok & Kurn would've had a blast together!!!

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Martok (after Worf told him about his brother): "You did what to your brother!!!! Get out!!!"

kkt and DarthPipes like this.
  17. Eyemorg

Eyemorg Ensign Red Shirt

It goes to show just how alien these alien cultures really are. The whole scenario horrified me, but was acceptable to Worf and his pals.

The way Worf rejected Nicholas, on the other hand, was just savage.

18. NewHeavensNewEarth

One does have to wonder if that ever came up.

Martok (like everyone else) thought Worf was always too serious and needed to lighten up, and Kurn would've been a refreshing alternative.

19. DonIago

Given the compromises that seemed implicit in Martok's relationship with Sirella, I suspect he might have understood Worf's turmoil.

20. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Would a doctor really perform this procedure on a patient? I have a hard time believing they would. Much less that Captain Sisko would sanction it at this point in the series, if ever.