News The Disney+ (The New Streaming Service) Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I hate that, which is one of the few things I don't like about Netflix.

While it's not true all director's cuts and extended editions are inherently better, there are definitely a fair share who are improved by them. Why not give people the option to choose?

And yet people wonder why I stick to my DVDs.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. The Nth Doctor

Has anyone else been watching Earth to Ned, the new Jim Henson's Creature Shop talk show? I've watched the first three episodes and it's pretty enjoyable and light-hearted. Each episode has two guests, so the pace is fairly fleeting but in a good way. The third episode is Star Wars themed with Billie Dee Williams and BB-8, which was a lot of fun. Lastly, the stage set reminds me of Moya's interior on Farscape and, since Ned's basic animatronics are just like Pilot, that's a neat fit.

Some of us mused last year while watching The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance why Brian Henson wasn't working with the show and this appears to be the answer. A.V. Club recently published an interview with about the show's production and it's a great read.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I forgot that was coming out. I plan on checking it out eventually.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anybody else been watching Muppets Now? I've been enjoying it so far, my only problem with it has been a lack of Gonzo. Gonzo has always been one of my favorite Muppets, and he's barely been in it so far. Fozzie hadn't been in much yet, but this week's Mup Close and Personal with him and Seth Rogen helped to make up for it.
    It dawned on the other day that I don't think we've seen another favorite of mine, Rowlf, at all yet.

Seven of Five likes this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

I started off really enjoying it but that joy quickly melted away as I realized how quickly it became repetitive. The show boxed itself in by doing the same small group of sketches and all of them were doing essentially the same thing each time.

That was especially true with The Swedish Chef where every single one was "Bring in celebrity chef, set up the cooking challenge, the celebrity competently and excellently creates a beautiful dish, The Swedish Chef does the exact opposite, and Beverly Plume is horribly embarrassed." Rinse and repeat.

The only one that felt like it had a little bit of variety was Muppet Labs, although I quickly got tired of Bunsen's dialed up overt abuse of Beaker.

This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't essentially the same sketches every single episode. And, like you said, the lack of Gonzo, Fozzie and some of the other favorites (Sam and Robin in particular) rarely taking the center stage didn't help any. Nor does the fact that the season is already over after six episodes. Brevity can be good, but if you're doing the same thing every time, it stands out a lot more.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Disney plus account was hacked today. Got a bunch of emails in spanish about activity on my account. And then the email was changed, leading me to contact support to get my account back...

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

A bit too kiddie for my liking. I liked the ABC one. Shame that was canceled.

8. The Nth Doctor

I absolutely loathed that one. I stopped watching after several episodes. The only good segement to come out of it was the after-work karaoke sequence. And even there they went out of their way to make Kermit an asshole. :rolleyes:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it definitely would have been nice if they had a bit more variety in the segments they did.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, I am now pretty sure that Disney sells our info. I moved my disney login to another email after getting hacked, and the very next day started getting spam that I never had on that account. Ugh!

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dammit, I was really hoping this would be a total failure, so it wouldn't become a regular thing. I'm surprised, I thought ounce they announced it would be free in December, everybody would just wait till then. I guess there are a lot of impatient people out there.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping they use the data and decide to drop the price slightly when they release Black Widow the same way (an assumption on my part). I'm sure there is a graph plotting price vs number of projected purchases, but there's only one data point at the moment.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really don't think that they'll drop the price if they use this format for Black Widow. I'd assume that Black Widow probably has a bigger potential viewer base (in the US, at least) then Mulan, so I can't see them going cheaper with it.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, for once I agree with you. If they change the price at all, it'll probably go up. I could see the number crunchers deciding that if people were $30 for Mulan, they'd be willing to even more for an MCU movie.

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think if they establish this as a model then it might stay the same. But, I was completely wrong on this one so who knows, they might increase the price for the MCU.

Oh, well. Neither were "must see" for me at this point.

18. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tatiana Maslany has been cast as She-Hulk.

A little obvious on the part of the producers casting her to play two different versions of herself in the same show:shrug:

Seven of Five likes this.
  19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't even make that connection and I don't think it holds--Jennifer is essentially herself but in a different body when she is she hulk--a bit more confident maybe but I can't remember that well. What is going to be disappointing is if they don't let her hulk out very much--she enjoys being She-Hulk and spends a lot of time in that form.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this really deserves it's own thread, but since the movie is on Disney+, I'll just put it here.
    Evel Knievel's family is suing Disney over the character Duke Caboom from Toy Story 4. They're suing for copyright and trademark infringement, over the Duke Caboom action figure, which they claim is similar to an Evel Kneivel figure released in the '70s, and for unjust enrichment, unfair competition, and trademark dilution.
    Duke was pretty obviously inspired by Kneivel, but I wonder if he really is close enough for there to be any merit to this lawsuit.