News The Disney+ (The New Streaming Service) Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They had intended to release Hamilton in theaters, where an R rating could cut into box office revenue. Also, it's Disney. R ratings don't really go with the brand.

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't PG-13 allowed only one F-word?

3. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Yes. Hamilton removed Hercules Mulligan singing "When I get knocked down I get the fuck back up again," Madison, Jefferson and Burr singing "Southern Mother Fucking Democratic Republicans," and left in Hamilton singing in the Reynold's Pamphlet "That was my wife you decided to" "Fuuuu—" As He says, he literally gave two fucks so kids could see Hamilton on Disney+.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's too.
    Because they see themselves as a family entertainment company, and R rated movies go against that. Even if the majority of people seem to have no problem taking 5 year olds to hard R movies, they are still technically supposed to be for adults only.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get the whole "family friendly" angle but I mean why do they need to get a rating from a third party and to follow their rules to arbitrate that? I guess I'm balking at some BS organization dictating what is acceptable but it's not like it's anything new, it's just most streaming services don't feel the need to submit material to external judgment. If Hamilton was meant for theatrical release, I guess that makes sense. I'm yelling at clouds, I know...

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  6. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I remember in school, we watched the 70's movie version of Romeo and Juliet.. It was Rated G and juliet got full frontal naked.!! ( Was great for 12 year old me..) And If I remember correctly, wasn't Planet of the Apes G or Pg? and it had the astronauts backsides a showin?

EDIT:
    Yep Planet of the Apes, Rated G. and Romeo And Juliet was 1968. and 2001 was rated G too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it was the '70s.
    I remember when we watched that Romeo & Juliet in school, the teacher apparently didn't know about the nudity, and just about broke her neck diving in front of the TV to cover up the screen when we got to that scene.

8. Mr. Adventure

We got Romeo and Juliet in school as well lol, I don't remember full frontal but definitely saw her breasts. G was more PG in those early days, something mostly acceptable for general audiences not just simply something completely benign and innocuous with the smallest of kids in mind. Other odd G movies of the time were 2001, The Andromeda Strain and Star Trek The Motion Picture.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The stuff on all of the streaming services are rated, all of the Netflix movies I just looked at all have either movie G-R rating, or a TVY-TVMA rating. All of the Amazon original movies I checked except one, which had 13+, had an movie rating, and most of the stuff made for Hulu has a TV-** rating. The shows on all of the services all have a TV-** rating.
    I've never understood why some people have problem with rating, even though I watch every rating all the way up to NC-17, I still appreciate knowing what I'm in for. There are a lot of times where I'm just not in the mood for something graphic, so I'll purposefully go with something PG-13 or lower.

10. Mr. Adventure

The TV-Y TV-MA TV-14 etc type ratings are all done by the services themselves AFAIK. I was wondering why Disney wouldn't also rate it themselves rather than submit it to MPAA was my point. If they rate it themselves they could either allow it uncensored and give it something like TV-14 and maybe have a warning before where they could explain it to be of artistic importance or some crap or they could give no fucks as it were and remove them all.

To allow one F-bomb is trimming just as little as possible to avoid an R from the MPAA. My point being why are they doing this when they could just use whatever standards they themselves deemed appropriate. I'm not questioning or admonishing them labeling it but rather questioning the method by which they are choosing to do it.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. Now I understand what you're saying, and I can see where it is a bit odd.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

In the uk they rate things their selves. They say the Simpsons is 6+ which I know isn’t true. There are some episodes that are easily 12+

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

X-Men Apocalypse quietly dropped on to the service.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Flicking through I landed on Agent Carter so having a rewatch (just started Season 2), and really wish this was a series they decided to renew, even for a one or two episode special--especially with what happened at the conclusion of Endgame.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's strange, it sounded like they have a team of writers and scripts already, yet the project hasn't officially been green lighted. Are they funding themselves at this point with all of this work?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they do seem to be doing an awful lot of work for a series that hasn't been officially greenlighted.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Disney 4K discs aren’t that great anyway so that no real loss.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do that many people have 4K?
    I'm not to surprised to hear about this, I have trouble trouble even finding Blu-Rays these days. I still tons of DVDs everywhere, but it takes a lot more searching to find Blu-Rays.