The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And he looked like a wannabe Nathan Fillion. If you stuck him in browncoat cosplay he would be a hit at any con. I was sorry (and surprised) to see him go too. I thought he'd go rogue eventually because he didn't seem very invested in his E-repping, more like it was a well paying job. He had that whole larrikin thing down and I thought this indicated he was a wild card. Guess not.

2. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Wow... Just wow... That was great! So far in the show it wasn't that hard to figure out what was going to happen, but this week I was in shock the last few minutes. :techman:

And Doc smoking? NOW I really want to see Doc and Cottle hanging out, smoking cigars. :guffaw:

I'm starting to think the Kelevan/Golden Knot is an advanced A.I. of some sort with holographic technology. Has anyone else been around when it's been talking to the son?

And they are going all in the with the references to oppressed minorities for the Irathients, earlier they've been both gypsies and American-Indians, now they we're Jews in Nazi-Germany.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

More like Japanese-Americans during World War II . . .

4. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

That too, but the Irathients themselves were talking about being gassed by the Votan Collective during the Great Diaspora killing many of them.

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I agree with the AI bit as I think that was the main point for the last Sukar story where a bunch of nanites rewired his brain a bit.

I don't think its holographic though. Definitely think it's all in his head, and its programmed for self-preservation. Hence it constantly suggesting to kill anyone who threatens its safety and influencing him to keep the Kaziri safe with him. Which, in turn, suggests that it might be some kind of potent defensive item. Which the town could certainly use with all the dangers building up around them now that their force field thing is dead.

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree on this episode. I'm getting tired of the plague trope where the doctor works tirelessly, gets sick, keeps going, and somehow cures it in the nick of time. Focusing on the politics and Datak made it more interesting. We still got the "hero continues, though sick," with Nolan.

Interesting back story on Amanda, it adds an interesting level to her and made me sympathize with the E-Rep guy, which lead to my actually caring about him dying. Datak was badass and for the first time, I actually liked him.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Although that raises the question of why he didn't just give himself a shot as soon as they collected the cure from the rocket, instead of continuing to let his condition get worse while driving back to town, which seems like a counterproductive thing to do when so many lives depended on him. Although that could be explained if he was truly in denial about being sick, rather than just putting up a brave front. Or if the drug was one of those "do not drive or operate heavy machinery while using" deals. (but then why couldn't Connor have driven them back?).

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt Nolan would let Connor drive them back. Also, I can picture Nolan being a "there are people who need it more than me" type.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episode. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Quentin's device is responsible for him seeing his brother.
    I didn't expect them to go where they went with Amanda's backstory. It did help to make her E-Rep ex more sympathetic, which helped make me feel bad when he died.
    I'm curious to see where the Irathient storyline is going next, because I don't see them just forgiving and forgetting everything that happened.
    Datak's story was pretty good too, and it will certainly be interesting to see what becomes of his Mayoral campaign.
    The end makes me suspect that Nicky might be one of the Indogene sleepers.
    Anyone else feel that way or do guys think Yewll is just working with her?

10. Christopher

Which would be fine in any other situation, but not when everyone else depended on his ability to drive the serum back to town. If he passed out behind the wheel, nobody would get the cure. Indeed, that's what almost happened because he was too sick to fight off the Irathients. A basic rule for rescuers is to take care of your own well-being first, because you can't help anyone else if you're impaired. That's why flight attendants tell you to secure your own oxygen mask before helping others in an emergency.

Harvey-Luke said outright that if Quentin gave the McGuffin away, he wouldn't see Luke anymore. So that makes it pretty explicit.

Doubtful, since that plan wasn't activated. Besides, it doesn't make any sense. Her agenda, to all indications, is to acquire a terraformer so she can restore Earth to the way it was.

Plus it'd just be too simplistic, and frankly xenophobic, to explain away her behavior by saying she's Really One of Them. Defiance is not a humans-vs.-aliens story. The only characters who do see it that way, the E-Reps and the Votanis Collective, are bad guys. The show is more of an immigrant drama -- all of its characters are strangers in a strange land, trying to adjust and build a new society, and they're all in it together. Many of them are at odds, but the Votans are just as much at odds with each other as with the humans.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in the pilot Irisa did say he tends to do that.

12. teacake

I put Nolan driving while sick down to men never going to the doctor. He's just in denial, first as to being sick and then as to how far it's progressed.

So if the golden knot thingie is AI and playing in the heads of those who posses it what will it do with Nicolette?

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Head-Burch maybe?

14. teacake

OOOOooooo!

That's awesome.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Someone in San Francisco has put a contract on Nolan and is sending a mercenary army to Defiance.

16. Christopher

^Oh, great. As someone who only watches the show, I'm starting to find it a bit contrived that almost every time something from the outside world affects Defiance, it happens to be something that happened in the Bay Area. It's bad enough Small Universe Syndrome that all these hugely important people and things just keep happening to converge on Defiance by chance -- key figures from the characters' pasts, an Ark remnant that could've landed anywhere on Earth -- but it doesn't make things any more plausible when the Bay Area seems to be joined at the hip to Defiance, with everything that happens in one of those two places resonating with the other.

Besides, I thought the whole reason they chose to set the game and the show so far apart from each other was so that each could stand on its own. If they were going to have them so closely interconnected, it would've made more sense to put them geographically closer together.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it is a smaller world.

New York survived mostly intact because that frak is an island.

Every other city was utterly frakked.

Razor Rain probably falls on America all day long, but 70 percent of the country is probably wasteland if Defiance is considered a city.

18. Mister Fandango

If the theory that the Kaziri is some kind of defensive weapon or terraforming device, then that explains why St. Louis was largely protected from the previous terraforming. It also explains why Nicolette is so eager to get it; to either try to reverse the terraforming (if the latter) or try to expel all the Votans from earth (if the former). I'm still leaning towards defensive weapon as the shield generator was a key factor for the town's existence in the pilot, and with the looming threats (if the rumors are true), then they'll need something to help protect Defiance.

As far as all the references to the Bay? I have no problem with that. It is a major part of the franchise they're trying to build. It'd be weird if it didn't come up quite often. And with New York being the apparent HQ for the Earth Republic, why wouldn't that be commonly referred to as well? Especially in a show where politics play a major role.

Now everyone having some major interwoven background and key figures from people's past rolling into town? That is a bit weird, but to be expected in a television show. Would just be nice if it didn't seem to happen every other episode...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Doesn't make sense. Why would Nicolette want the shield generators destroyed and allow the plan to have the votans attack in that case? Unless you're trying to say she wanted it to keep it from Defiance?

20. Mister Fandango

Read the first paragraph again.