The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, still not getting what you mean. Do you think she wants it to protect Defiance or to hurt Defiance? Because her actions up till now don't support her wanting to protect Defiance.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nicki isn't interested in Defiance, but in the power that lies beneath it. We know now that she was behind the Volge attack -- apparently with the goal of driving the people away and clearing her path to the McGuffin. Since the town was saved, she's had to employ other means to try to get at it.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

"It also explains why Nicolette is so eager to get it; to either try to reverse the terraforming (if the latter) or try to expel all the Votans from earth (if the former)."

I don't see the word "Defiance" mentioned anywhere there.

Whatever it is, it's something she believes the remaining survivors will thank her for. So it has to be something big like that.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Kaziri is magic votan tech that does something. The knots are part of it. The Kaziri will save the world, but Nicollette is willing to destroy Defiance to get it.

Fandango said that he thinks possibly that the Kaziri is LIKE the shield generators, but not the shield generators that she destroyed.

Has the word Kaziri been used in the tv show, or is this bleed over spoilers form the game?

If the Kaziri is a global shield generator, that could could be good for clearing all that junk in orbit, so that technology and aircrafts can be used again once the electromagnetic disturbances subside, which is constantly frakking with their attemptes to maintin a modern society.

The only other reason that they would need a shield which can cover the enire planet is if there is a second wave of colonists on their way from Votan.

5. Guy Gardener

Three posts in three minutes, and they said that Defiance wasn't popular.

6. sojourner

If by "remaining survivors" you mean everyone outside of Defiance, since she seems quite willing to throw the town under the bus. Which is why your paragraph was unclear. The sentence you didn't quote,
    does mention Defiance and seems to indicate that you think she wants to protect the town with the device. So yeah, I read the entire paragraph, did you?

7. Mister Fandango

I'm well aware of what I said. Those were two different things. The first was about why Nicolette wanted the device. The second is about why the device exists in the story to begin with. Hence the use of "they'll" as opposed to "she" or "her." Unless you sincerely think that Nicolette's plan, whatever it is, will come to fruition and the show will be over because she'll have destroyed the town.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think Nicollete is perfectly willing to sacrifice Defiance to get her old planet back . . . .

Defiance is small potatoes compared to whatever she has in mind.

9. sojourner

I don't really care whether she succeeds or fails, I was just unclear with what you were trying to say. The use of "they'll" in this case could have meant the town, or her and her fellow conspirators in this case. Especially considering the focus of the paragraph seemed to be Nicolette based on the first sentence.

10. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

The game's entire storyline so far is about a man who was trying to reverse the terraforming. I doubt the show would use the exact same plot for Nicollete.

Its not as contrived as you think. Nolan and Irisa stole something very valuable from a Voltan "mafia boss" named Varis in San Francisco and fled into the wilds. A week later, they stumbled upon Defiance in the show's pilot.

If you think that's bad, Doc asked a friend in the Bay area for help developing a cure for the plague in last week's episode. And it was the players in the game who sent the cure to Defiance via an ICBM for Nolan and that e-rep guy to retrieve.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is it just a terraformed wasteland between St. Louis and the Bay area?

12. Christopher

This isn't speculation. She's had dialogue to the effect that that's her goal.

And the whole point of doing this in two different mediums is that most people who watch the show won't play the game, and vice-versa. So it's not redundant to do parallel plots.

Yes, I'm aware of all of that, and it doesn't make it any less contrived. Between those, Rynn heading to the game setting after leaving the show, and the thing about the mercenaries, that's at least four completely unrelated story threads that connect Defiance to San Francisco. This is my whole point. Realistically, those unrelated threads would probably connect to several different cities. The more often there are random links between the same two cities, the more it strains credibility.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless the Bay area is the only city left west of Defiance and a dominant player in the new world.

14. Christopher

^But what about east, north, and south???

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The East is controlled by the Earth Republic.

16. Christopher

^Yeah, and we do occasionally get references to the E-Rep having some influence over events in Defiance. But it's still pretty coincidental that Defiance and the Bay Area seem to be joined at the hip.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could he be involved with Nicollete's plot? Have we been given any indicators that her plot couldn't involve people in places other than Defiance?

18. Christopher

Given how closely the game and the show have been interlinked to date, I wouldn't be surprised if both their story arcs built to the same endgame by the season finale. Nicki's plot and Von Bach's are probably interconnected.

19. Guy Gardener

Wouldn't reversing the terraforming kill another 2 billion people on the planet?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  20. Mister Fandango

"The survivors will thank me."