The Defenders--Marvel/Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yea but comicbook are different then live action..so it does come off more funny...but then again the real world includes ISIS and the Kardashians so it really isn't that strange then afterall.....but I would still love to see this exchange between the Defenders and Guardians of the Galaxy..

" ...Were the Defenders we saved Hell's Kitchen New York.."

"...That's cute..were the Guardians of the Galaxy....and we save the whole freaking Universe ...Twice!!..'

Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit that I'd love to see the jailbreak scene from GotG done with the Defenders.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

"I Ron Fist".

theenglish likes this.
  4. TalonCard

TalonCard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Your preference makes no sense. We've already seen Madame Gao in two shows already, it's obviously time to bring in a new villain.

TC

5. Turtletrekker

6. Turtletrekker

One more month!

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still need to watch Iron Fist.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No, you don't. ;)

Nerys Myk and DBR like this.
  9. Turtletrekker

Meh. Iron Fist wasn't in the same league as the other Marvel/Netflix shows, but it wasn't as bad as all that.

I would take it over the first half of the first season and the third season of Agents of SHIELD. I'd take it over the most recent season of Flash or Arrow season 4. Or any season of Got Ham.

Tosk likes this.
  10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Iron Fist is worth it for Colleen Wing, Claire Temple, and Madame Gao. Danny Rand himself is just a walking mass of rich white male privilege who needs to be, and fortunately is, put in his place by the awesome women of color around him.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Boy, that's for sure!

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, that's true. It is worth it for Colleen, Claire and Gao (and Jeri, too), but at the same time, you probably wouldn't be that lost in The Defenders if you skipped Iron Fist.

13. Turtletrekker

Probably not. The same could probably be said of any of the individual character series. But Iron Fist does include a lot of background on the Hand and how they operate and recruit.

14. Turtletrekker

This struck a chord for me and I didn't realize why at first. When it finally came to me I realize that you might be onto something.

In one of Danny's very first appearances in Marvel Premiere 24 (Danny first appeared in Marvel Premiere 15), and the second issue written by Chris Claremont, Danny is sparring with Colleen and she is wondering why he doesn't go all out and is internal monologue is this...

And later, this exchange...
    And it's Danny's interactions with women of color Colleen and Misty Knight that bring him around. The situation isn't a direct comparison to be sure, but the way you phrased your comment made me think of that bit of the source material.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The difference is, the show's Danny only follows K'un Lun rules when it suits him. When he wants something else, he ignores his responsibilities to K'un Lun -- ultimately with disastrous effect. I found it contemptible that he even tried to win the Iron Fist when he had no commitment to the responsibilities that go with it.

I think it would've been a much better show if Lei Kung had sent him to New York to infiltrate Rand and deal with the Hand, and he'd found himself torn between having to live the pretense of a rich corporate scion and wanting to live a simpler, more spiritual life. And if he'd been required to hide the Iron Fist to avoid blowing his cover, but was compelled to help people anyway and thus went out to fight crime in a mask. He would've been a much more sympathetic character then.

16. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Same as the comic then - the fact that he gained the Iron Fist and then virtually immediately left is a continuing plot point across his appearances and the fuel that several foes use as a reason to dislike him.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think the most grating thing for me was Danny's utter lack of agency in the overarching conflict. I mean it'd be one thing if he came to NY to seek out The Hand after they exposed themselves in 'Daredevil Season 2', but he's utterly clueless until he practically bumps into them.

Also, did they ever account for the massive coincidence that his plane crashed right outside the home of the enemies of the people that indirectly caused the plane to crash?

18. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

The Hand and K'un L'un aren't really one and the same. The comic just has them mountaineering but at various points states that Wendell knew about the city and didn't, but always showed Meachum as responsible for their death.

There's a whole lotta back story to explore. They set up one arc with meniton of the Chinese train, which is the basis for some of the Immortal Iron Fist arc.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The most recent season of Flash was solid. Iron Fist is made by a person who hates the mystical elements of Iron Fist, superheroes in general, hiring good actors for the lead and having a main character who is anything but a whiny, incompetent moron. I mean, The Flash isn't perfect, but I'd still call it the best superhero show on television while Iron Fist is probably the worst live action superhero show in recent memory (at least when it comes to mainstream stuff). Its got all the characterization problems of a Zach Snyder DC film but made by a guy who hates all the non-grounded elements of superheroes. At least Snyder lets Superman fly, shoot lasers, punch things, etc.

20. Turtletrekker

^Not so much.

Anyway, Stan Lee is in the house, and we have another party crasher who seems to have gotten here just in time. :techman::beer:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017