"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the time that the Joker was genuinely telling the truth when Gamble tells him that he is crazy and the Joker replies. "I'm not.. I'm no--t!"

After all, he believes that the idea of society is a big joke, and the fact that people can get along together and have a sense of security can break down at any time.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, the Joker saying he wasn't crazy sounded more "defensive" and in a manner of even trying to convince himself than it did a genuine expression of his grasp of sanity.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Which makes it a part of the film.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course.. and I accept it that kids were on the buses.

but if you look closely there are no kids.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie this morning and I thought it was absolutely amazing. I loved every moment of it. Anne Hathaway was awesome as Selina. I do agree that it was a little more over the top than the other two, but IMO it wasn't extreme enough to ruin the movie.
    I'm actually really glad I read about Talia, because I thought it made it alot more interesting being able to watch Bruce and his allies basically give her everything she was after. Definitely an Excellent.

6. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does your novelization expand upon the movie plot? Does it give more detail about the characters?

I like to know more about those missing 8 years. I also want to know if Blake is suppose to be the kid in the narrows from Batman Begins.

7. Set Harth

I highly doubt it.

8. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I also enjoyed the epic scope of it. The only thing I thought was kinda OTT was the extensive use of the Bat. At that point it stretches believability that Bruce isn't at least accused of financing Batman.

I didn't have a problem with the fairy-tale aspects of it, the Pit and so on. That felt true to the kind of world BB established, what with an enduring League that has been operating for millennia.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

One thing that bothered me now that I've seen it twice. There were at least two Bats. One that Batman had, and the other in the Applied Science Vault. So, when Bane broke into the vault, why did he not steal the Bat that was in there? Did he not think that what is essentially a heli-tank would be useful?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I thought it was just the one prototype that Bruce hid on the rooftop.

11. OdoWanKenobi

No, there has to be two. The one that Batman uses throughout the movie blew up with the bomb. Afterward we see Lucius talking with the two techs that are looking at the Bat prototype when they tell him the autopilot was already fixed. The one in that scene is the prototype that Lucius showed Bruce early in the film. It has a grey paint job instead of the black that Batman's does.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, I didn't even think about that when the showed it.
    One concept that the end introduced, which I think has been used in the comics, is the idea of Batman as a legacy hero. I kind of like the idea that every few years the current Batman would find a worthy successor who would be handed the "keys to the cave" when that person had had enough, and that this could continue on for years or even decades.

13. OdoWanKenobi

Bruce has always been Batman. Other people like Dick Grayson, or Jean Paul Valley have filled in for a time while Bruce was incapacitated (broken back, or unstuck in time, etc.) but he has always come back to the cowl pretty quickly. Bats has never really been a legacy character like say the Flash, or even Robin

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But there have been stories set in the future with another Batman, and I thought that everyone thought Bruce was dead when Dick took over the Batman identity. I haven't read RIP yet, but that was the impression I got from the stuff I've read online. I thought it was one of the other guys, either Jason or Tim, who thought Bruce was still alive.

15. OdoWanKenobi

Tim was sure that Bruce was still alive and was right. But Bruce did come back, and Dick returned to being Nightwing. There was an alternate future issue that had Damian as Batman after Bruce's death, and apprently there are also some set even later with Terry McGinnis. But in current continuity, Bruce Wayne is Batman, and the others have really only ever filled in during his absence

16. Set Harth

Here's a question I haven't seen addressed.

Why didn't Batman use his EMP device at any point during the latter portion of the film?

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

During the motorcycle chase Batman stopped to use his EMP gun

A rookie cop shot at it. Batman gives him a look

Cop- Sorry

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

One highly plausible answer to this is that after the city is restored, the Applied Sciences division builds a new prototype to replace the one that was obviously missing. The software package they upload to it would come from a server. So Bruce patched the autopilot on the server, and then downloaded that to his Bat, which at the time was the only one in existence.

As far as the paint color, it could be that they painted Batman's black, but the new one is the same gray color that came off the assembly line.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any one wondering why this 20 year old tech still looks so futuristic?

And what moron wouldn't notice that a fusion generator can be turned into a fusion bomb just by slapping some C4 on the side to prime it?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Cool, is the writer any good? ;)