The Claustrophobic Feel of Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by GulBahana, May 4, 2019.

1. GulBahana

GulBahana Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's difficult for me to watch Enterprise for long periods of time because of the claustrophobic feel of the ship. Anyone else have this issue?

STEPhon IT likes this.
  2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.

I think they were going for a submarine sort of feel.

Lance, Galileo7, XCV330 and 2 others like this.
  3. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Actually when they first announced the premise of the show, I was expecting the set to be more cramped and the bridge appearing more like a large cockpit, with crew using ladders more often.

It was too spacious for my liking.

4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have preferred they went to a world war two submarine level of crampedness. I can understand that this would have imposed difficulties on the actual recording on some scenes (especially corridor dialog scenes), but it would have improved the "feel" of the ship, at least for me.

Have it be that the majority of the ships' interior is devoted to machinery and storage spaces, and the working and living spaces are fitted in where they could.
    Definitely could have made the bridge smaller. Sickbay too, although I generally like the basic layout of sickbay, just suck it in about 20%.

Some spaces made more sense from this point of view, Archer office (tight with a low ceiling) was about right, engineering was good, and the crew mess was okay.
    One of the worst offenders was the bathroom in Archers' quarters, it was quite spacious, the shower as huge.

I know the crew had room mates, but with the exception of a few officers, there should have been bunk-rooms.

Ryan Thomas Riddle and uniderth like this.
  5. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't feel too bad for them. They did have a gym and a mess hall after all and somewhere to watch movies.

seigezunt likes this.
  6. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Commander Red Shirt

I quite liked it. As someone else posted, I think I’d have preferred it if they were packed in even tighter but it’s still convincing for early Starfleet.

7. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd have liked more exposed pipes and conduits, personally. It still seemed too neat and perfect to me, for the first true Starship.

8. at Quark's

at Quark's Commodore Commodore

Actually I thought that was quite a nice touch.

It's supposed to be the first warp 5 starship ever, going for the first time into interstellar depths no human has penetrated before. So the claustrophobic feel gives an appropriate air of "primitiveness" to it, compared to ships of later centuries.

feek61 likes this.
  9. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it, but honestly, the ship could have been more cramped, especially in the corridors.

ETA: I really loved engineering, with the big honking warp core taking up the whole room, and the monitors crammed in what little available space there was.

uniderth likes this.
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The internal aesthetics was something that I really liked from ENT, the sets looked hugely practical and very much it setting for the time frame and level of technology, with the submarine feel being a logical approach.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  11. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

The aesthetics I felt was more of an anchor for the movie verse than TOS since it never reflected how the Starship Class Enterprise appeared. Ever since The Wrath of Khan the submarine motif has been the norm until JJ Abrams finally brightened the sets a lot... for the better IMO.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Why would it have to have exposed pipes and conduits to be the first true starship?

STEPhon IT likes this.
  13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Did anyone else think the little elevator in Engineering was vaguely ridiculous and likely just intended to be a bizarre homage to the similar lift seen in TMP and then TNG?

I mean, what's the point of that thing? It goes a whole one floor...

STEPhon IT likes this.
  14. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

To make it look like they've been rewriting things and MacGyvering solutions to mechanical breakdowns as they went.

Lance likes this.
  15. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

Enterprise could've maintained the tech lingo from TOS like assembly, circuits, and fuses instead of using TNG lingo such as conduits, and a warp core.

Lance, uniderth and fireproof78 like this.
  16. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Maintenance and serviceability in and experimental spaceship.

Dumbwaiter for heavy objects.

Lance likes this.
  17. DonIago

Sure, but I remember T'Pol using it as an actual elevator at least once and maybe twice.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Sounds sloppy. Humans had been out in space for nearly a century. They weren't making it up as they went along by the time the NX-01 came along.

Timo and fireproof78 like this.
  19. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought that this lift was a homage to "Lost In Space"
    They had a similar one on the Jupiter II

20. DonIago

But didn't that one at least move between distinct floors of the ship versus, "Or you could use these six stairs right over here..."