Spoilers The Bad Batch - Season 1 Discussion [cue A-Team theme music]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, May 4, 2021.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

"Is there an Echo in here?"

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The ability to speak does not make one a mystery contact.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Ironic plot twist: the contact is Nyx Okami.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I did like them using the Droid Army theme in this weeks episode, I think this is the first time Kiner has done a version of it.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the latest episode of Bad Batch, the worst new characters from the last season of clone wars (Ashoka's shitty new friends) meet the new Jar Jar (Omega), and its one of the worst non-Rebels animated Star Wars episodes in years, possibly the worst single episode since Bombad Jedi in TCW Season 1 (although Resistance might have a worse episode, I didn't bother with it).

This show is such an unpleasant experience. So much missed potential and horrible execution. At least shit like Resistance was very openly a little kids show about annoying kids and didn't try to hide that, the Bad Batch had a good initial premise but ruins it with a kid character worse then Anakin in Episode 1. I'll probably finish off the season, but if it gets a second season I won't bother.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I like tacos.

Jinn, Campe and The Wormhole like this.
  7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Then why bother at all?
    Might as well stop right now.
    You do not intend to finish it either way.
    And the way animation production is working the second season is already deep in production for sure.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

It's interesting to compare my experiences with this show with previous experiences watching Star Wars animation projects.

The first time I watched Clone Wars (well after it aired), I loathed Ahsoka. Every time she was onscreen I cringed. She made Anakin and Obi-wan look like complete morons, and got away with it every time. But then the show continued, and she grew, changed, and evolved. And is now one of my favorite Star Wars characters of all time (and yet still not my favorite character from this series, thanks to Rex, Fives and Echo).

Watching the first few episodes of Rebels, I loathed Ezra. And kept hoping the focus would move off him in the early episodes, where he seemed omnipresent, because I just couldn't stand the annoying brat. But then Rebels continued, and Ezra grew, and learned, and evolved. And became a great character. Not my favorite Rebels character, nor even top 3, but a great character.

I don't loathe Omega. She can be quite annoying at times, but I genuinely enjoy the way she interacts with the Batch and we're already seeing signs of growth not only in her, but in the clones as they tend to her, teach her, and do their best to protect her. Yes, she has her cringeworthy moments, as most any child character will from time to time. But I'm probably more invested in her experiences and narrative at this point than I ever was with either Ahsoka or Ezra.

Will her overall character arc be anywhere near as interesting and winning as Ahsoka or Ezra? Obviously it's way too early to tell. But she has a great supporting cast of likable and colorful characters to play off of. And the setting is ripe for exploration, with her naivete allowing for easy exposition. So far, so good. I don't know if The Bad Batch will be another absolute classic like TCW or Rebels, but it's off to a mighty solid start.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because he’s a hate watcher. He hates 99% of everything.

Every time I see one of his posts he’s always complaining about something.

I don’t know how someone can live with so much negativity in their life.

The Nth Doctor and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. Tuskin38

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sometimes being happy is scary.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What?!?!

13. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I apologize if this has been brought up before. Haven’t been keeping up with the thread.

Has there been an episode yet without a guest character from another series/movie? I’m enjoying the show but I’d love to see them chart their own path, not continuously walk through the greatest (or not so greatest as the case may be) hits.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

If you don't count Tarkin (but that's unavoidable considering where Crosshair is now), then "Replacements" fits that bill.

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...What what?

Blasters might theoretically have some sort of an ammo limit, but it doesn't exist in any of the onscreen bits of SW. If there did exist a possibility of a blaster running out of ammo, then it might make sense to instead use a weapon that infinitely replenishes its ammo with a bit of muscle work (to wit, the bow).

(Now, it would be a bit weird if the deadly energy of a blaster bolt could be created solely by one's biceps, but perhaps this is indeed so: blaster bolts are so "cheap" that not only can muscles generate them, but one can pack infinitely many of them in a single cartridge that lasts forever?)

If it's not muscles standing in for ammo, then the bow seems to have nothing but drawbacks (har har):

- It takes much more time to "unholster" and bring to action configuration than other weapons
    - It takes muscle power to fire
    - It takes muscle power to even keep on standby
    - It is awfully big and clumsy
    - It cannot be fired with one hand
    - It glows in the dark, revealing your position

Perhaps it's an ancient Jedi weapon, intended to put the user at a deliberate disadvantage like the silly lightsaber, as a lesson in humility or whatever?

Timo Saloniemi

16. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Except in the Clone Wars movie, where on Teth a clone runs out of ammo, then charges with his gun at a super battle droid and gets killed. Also in "The Hidden Enemy" Cody removes some part of a blaster to make it non-functional, which I assumed was ammo. But I guess that technically could have been something else.

17. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

In Return of the Jedi, Han Solo borrows Chewy's "crossbow blaster," and is notably impressed. Visually, it seems to be much more powerful than "gun-based" blasters. Perhaps whatever advantage *that* weapon had, it was derived from its "drawstring analogy" technology, so one based on a short-bow would have similar advantages (one based on a longbow would would be more powerful than the Death Star lol).

Alternatively, perhaps it's a training weapon: the act of lift; pulling; holding (they make a point in the episode of teaching her to hold it steady when pulled) develops one's arm muscles?

dJE

Timo likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

The was The Force Awakens, not Return of the Jedi.

Side note, in the old Legends lore, Bowcasters were originally said to be too powerful for species weaker than wookiees to actually use because of the recoil. Though that was mostly ignored

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bowcaster/Legends

Some Bowcasters fired explosive bolts instead of typical blaster bolts.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In this case, though, the issue is that we see what the purple-glowing bow can achieve, and nobody should be impressed by that!

The two weapons might still be related somehow. But it would be nice to think that the slavers wield the rather unique and aesthetically pleasing bow for a reason. Perhaps the fact that it pierces holes in metal objects when fully drawn confuses us as to its ability to hurt or humiliate slaves without unduly lowering their resale value when not fully drawn?

Timo Saloniemi

20. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Possibly.

Do we see the slavers use it properly (do we see anyone who could use it in anger use it in anger? Perhaps if Wrecker, say, were to use it in battle then he'd be able to draw it properly and it *would* become an awesome weapon (as would kinda happen with a real bow).

Of course the real reason is that StarWars has a thing for "modernising" traditional weapons and it was just the bow's turn! I'm sure we'll have great fun trying to figure out blaster-based throwing-stars.

dJE