Spoilers The Bad Batch - Season 1 Discussion [cue A-Team theme music]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, May 4, 2021.

1. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

Or eight episodes, depending on whether the first episode is considered three parts.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Told you guys it was Becca :P

It isn't. D+ lists it as a single episode.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

We knew this was coming so I'm glad the show didn't drag out Wrecker's inhibitor chip problem for too long. Hell of a coincidence for Rex to show up just in time to help save him, but I don't care because it's great to see Rex again.

I'm not surprised that Rex is still in the fighting and hasn't gone into hiding yet. After all, he has to find Wolffe and Gregor first and that obviously that didn't happen right away. I imagine something in particular happens early on that seriously dampers his spirits about trying to preserve what remains of the Republic and flee into self-imposed exile. Question is how soon does it happen during The Bad Batch run and why that event didn't also spook the Bad Batch themselves?

One thing that stuck me as weird: We didn't see Rex ask about Crosshair. I'm sure he could've figured it out on his own or heard about it through the grapevine, but it's still odd that the episode didn't take a moment to openly address it.

The relationship between Omega and Wrecker has quickly become my favorite one of this show. I look forward to seeing it develop further throughout the show.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

What I'll be curious to see is what changed for Rex that he effectively abandoned the fight to sling for joopa on Seelos with his old army buddies. Maybe he sees the toll the constant fighting has taken on them and decides his first duty is to look after them?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Empire abandons the clones after all the clones have done. Someone has to take care of them.

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess it depends on what you mean by address it. The Bad Batch told Rex that Crosshair's chip worked. They didn't say what Crosshair was currently doing, but they may have shared that off camera.

But he came up in the episode

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. And beyond that, I'd think Rex would treat every news of a murderous, Order 66 -obeying clone as no news. He would have seen too many examples of that, and too few of clones who were able to resist. Crosshair would be but another clone-with-a-name who betrayed the Republic - perhaps mattering to the rest of the Batch, but not significant otherwise. Why dwell on him?

Why did Rex want to use the autodoc of a Jedi Venator, rather than some other type of surgery system? Because he didn't have enough training to operate other types? (But he didn't operate this one, either!) Or because he thought the Empire already had a stranglehold on every other machine in the galaxy? (That's giving 'em a bit too much credit, I think - and in any case, if the Empire had control over something, it would be former Jedi/clone hardware.) Why was a Kaminoan machine the only other alternative brought up?

Timo Saloniemi

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

REX!!!

Great episode all around, we reunite with Rex, finally address the issue of Wrecker's headaches and the Order 66 Chips. I really like the scene where Wrecker went berserk against the others, them having to fight one of their own who even without weapons is a very legitimate threat. Really good episode this week.

9. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it, though? The scrappers saw the Bad Batch and have alerted the Empire. And that was on a world where Rex thought they'd be safe. I'm sure it's quite reasonable to suspect that any operational medical facility would have alerted the Empire as soon as the clones arrived.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rex did not occur to me as a possibility for the Martez's contact, but I'm glad it was him. It was fun seeing him again, and we got to fill out a tiny bit of his history between the Clone Wars and meeting with the Ghost crew.
    Nice to see them address Wrecker's headaches, and the chips.
    The scene after Wrecker's chip activated was pretty intense.
    Definitely agree about Wrecker and Omega's relationship, the scenes with them are becoming a highlight of the episodes.

11. The Nth Doctor

Oh, did they? I missed that. I stand corrected.

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Now let’s see if Wrecker keeps inconveniently bumping his head every episode. :)

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

My fear is that they're going to remove Crosshair's chip and nothing will change due to the treatments he received at Tarkins behest.

14. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Presumably because he already knows that the Venator autodoc can safely and effectively perform the operation, as that's how he got his own chip removed.

When you're messing with your brain, stick with what you know works.

That seems likely. Or that the treatments have somehow made the chip unsafe to remove.

I could see them going full Winter Soldier with it, and having Crosshair grapple with having his mind messed with after he's rescued, but it feels like staying Imperial is the more likely outcome to me. The boys and Omega risk everything to save him, but he turns on them and sells them out to the Empire anyway.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  15. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

To be fair, Wrecker may have lasted a bit longer if Rex hadn't showed up plus they went to that medical bay. Those two things may have triggered Wrecker a bit faster than if the episode didn't happen.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think getting hit in the head a few more times before he got to the Med Bay didn't help.

The Nth Doctor and Finn like this.
  17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode. Not much more to say. Great episode.

No way, get Ashley to play the younger Ahsoka. She'd be what? About 20 years and change younger than the version we saw in the Mandalorian?

18. The Nth Doctor

Obi-Wan Kenobi takes place 10 years after the fall of the Republic, so it's about halfway there to Rosario (I forget how long the trilogy took place).

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Mandalorian is set 28 years after the fall of the Republic. (ANH took place 19 years after, ROTJ was four years later, and Mando is five years after ROTJ.) So OWK would be around 18 years before Mando, give or take.

20. The Nth Doctor

Ah, thanks for that. I forgot The Mandalorian is five years after Return of the Jedi. I had it in my head that it was a year or two later.

So in that case, it's only a third towards Rosario, which means Ashley makes more sense then.

Edited to add: Actually...Rosario is only 3 years older than Ashley so age really isn't a factor here...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021