The ANTI-ALIEN 3 thread for all ALIEN franchise fans who hated Film #3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Apr 28, 2009.

1. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The ANTI-ALIEN 3 thread for all ALIEN franchise fans who hated Fil

I jus likes what I likes...

And I likes em!

::shrug::

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

That's never been established either.

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Hicks was the soldier with a lot to prove and the brains to understand that even though he was in command, he didn't let his "The Marine Way!" get in the way of his line of thinking. He was very open to Ripley's suggestions as to how they should deal with the Aliens and tried his best to keep his team together.

4. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

That and the deleted scene of Ripley smoking a cigarette afterwards.

I enjoyed Alien Resurrection...the first time. You know, "it's great to see Ripley and the aliens again". After rewatching it, it's a comic book movie. It is still better than the AVP b-movies, but it's out of sync with the first three.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

He was just her sidekick who went with everything she said and did. Remove him from the plot and nothing would be changed.

Now Dillon from A3, THAT is more in line with what Hicks could've been like. A true equal to Ripley.

6. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

I hope that was meant as irony. :lol:

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's not a sex scene and more importantly it's not in Alien 3. Resurrection was daft enough without any feverish fanwank.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The longer cut on the Quadrilogy set is not a "director's cut." It's the unedited workprint. What you're seeing is Fincher's first draft. It's a misnomer to call it a "director's cut," and Fincher has no interest in producing such a thing.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

He did give her the watch that could be tracked which she gave to Newt that helped Ripley rescue her in the end. Not so useless there.

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

And according to the notes it isn't possible since they didn't let him shoot the scenes he wanted to shoot.

11. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't. Correct me. Ever. I swear I'll go medieval on you ass. :lol:

Yeah, what-evah. I liked it.

Daz all dat mattahs, beeotch! :lol:

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

One important point that could easily have been transferred to Bishop or just something she found out from the Marines at the beginning. He's still easily removable from the plot.

13. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I love almost all of David Fincher's subsequent directorial efforts, but his rookie job sucked giant PredAlien balls. I remember being so psyched for this movie for a number of reasons:

1) It was to be the first R-rated movie I would see theatrically.
    2) It was an ALIEN movie.
    3) I had previously re-watched the first two movies in preparation that same week.
    4) The prospect of an ALIEN film that was closer in tone to the original (i.e. limited defense against the Aliens) appealed to me.

However, there were certain factors I hadn't anticipated.....

I gotta tell ya, this move stunk to high heaven. I was willing to give it a chance, though, because I still believed that an even more interesting story could be told without them....

I wish it weren't so, and yet....

A large group of British bald men who don't really matter since they're just Bantha fodder anyway aren't gonna mean all that much to me either. At least most of the Marines and ALL of the Nostromo crew had personality, but THESE guys...?!

I think this is probably my biggest gripe with the movie. This is not good, since all the face hugger crap happens during the choppy, incoherent opening credits sequence. Did Burke stash one onboard the Sulaco before the Aliens got him? That's next to impossible, since the Marines only found two surviving face huggers in the lab, and they were destroyed after Burke tried to use them against Ripley and Newt. Any other face hugger would almost have to have come from the nest, and Burke was dead/cocooned(?) long before Ripley got down there. If the Queen Alien stashed one or more onboard, Ripley or Newt should've been able to notice this before they went into hypersleep, given that the lighting onboard the was much brighter than on the Nostromo's lifepod (where the original Alien hid).

I do actually prefer Alien: Resurrection over Alien3, but only because of Winona Ryder and my hatred for Alien3. Otherwise, it made no sense to try to revive the series with its main character dead and gone, even if the studio's objective were to redeem itself in the eyes of the fans.

What the fuck..... Yep, you're right. She had no business screwing around with the plot. For starters, how in the hell would Ripley having sex with an Alien have been the least bit believable, in terms of the limitations of 1992 special effects, anatomical incompatibility, and the fact that Ripley HATED the Aliens?!

14. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

Hey, when you're alone in deep space after years of cryo sleep.......I mean, sailors and prisoners do it ALL the time with each other!!!

Hell, under those circumstances I might even give Temis a nudge and a wink!!!

;)

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's like how people don't get why she slept with Doctor Clemens. He was the first REAL kindred spirit she'd met since the whole mess began (aside from Dallas), she was in need of physical comfort, and it HAD been close to 60 years. Why NOT go for a romp?

16. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

Of course, we don't know if she had some kind of casual hook ups in between leaving gateway station's medical facility and departing for LV-426 on the Sulaco.

Wow - pondering the casual sex life of a fictional character in a science fiction series. I think that is a new kind of depth I have plumbed there!

17. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The so-called "nihilism of the Alien series" doesn't really appear until Alien3, so saying that Alien3 fit with it is pointless - it created it. Alien is, of course, a very bleak movie, but Ripley does manage to escape (with Jones).

In Aliens she faces her fears and, while there is a lot of death along the way, defeats them and the ending is about as hopeful as it can be - gaining a surrogate for the daughter she lost.

Those two movies taken as a couplet tell a complete story for Ripley. Add Alien3 into the mix, and you've still got a complete story (with Resurrection as a weird epilogue) but the tone changes fundamentally, and, for a lot of fans of the first two, for the worse.

Hicks and Newt don't have to be "immune" to the Xenomorphs, but it would have been a heck of a lot more satisfying to have actually seen their deaths. Basically, all Alien3 does is to say to the audience "You know you thought Ripley won in the last movie? Yeah, well, she didn't - suck on it." It's not drama, it's just disappointment. I don't think it is a particularly bad film. I've seen it multiple times and I expect I will continue to rewatch it, but it was a very bad direction to go in for the second sequel.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Actually, considering everything in the first movie the ending where she escapes is more Pyrrhic than anything else. She escaped, but everyone else died, her plan to save them failed, and she's on the way back to the people who sent her out to die to begin with. Hardly a happy ending.

As for seeing Newt and Hicks' deaths, what would that improve? I mean honestly it would just eat up time without adding to anything. And it isn't like she just forgets about them, her entire attitude in A3 was colored by their deaths.

19. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

This third Alien movie is as mythical a beast as the third Halloween or as some as madmen have claimed three new Star Wars movies and something called Star Trek V. These things simply do not exist those who claim otherwise are insane. :cool:

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What I've found interesting about the development of the third film is that there was never a point where Fox considered a Ripley/Hicks/Newt movie. The William Gibson draft dispensed of Ripley entirely and had Hicks battling the Aliens. Later drafts dispensed of Hicks and Newt off-stage early and left Ripley alone, like in the Ward/Fasano script. For whatever reason, leaving Cameron's "family" intact for a third film was never considered viable.