The ANTI-ALIEN 3 thread for all ALIEN franchise fans who hated Film #3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The ANTI-ALIEN 3 thread for all ALIEN franchise fans who hated Fil

They should have just ended it with Aliens. Alien 3 was too depressing.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The whole series is dark and depressing. Plus Aliens' end was too happy.

3. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

No.

It's always been portrayed as a sex scene. That coupled with the fact that Weaver pointed out she got her wish of finally having sex with an alien kinda seals the deal.

4. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

There is some evidence of this in Aliens. The biggest thing is that Bishop said flight time for the second drop ship would be forty minutes. We saw the first drop ship deploy and it took four minutes with a human pilot and a load of squishy Marines on board. But Bishop the android takes ten times as long to pilot an empty one?

There is also a scene earlier where Bishop is dissecting a facehugger. A marine tries to get his attention. The absentminded ANDROID doesn't notice at first.

And hey, what happened to Hicks? An acid burn to the shoulder puts him in the care of Dr. Bishop and he never wakes up!

Last but not least, check Bishop's expression when Ripley and Newt take the shortcut to the landing field. Oops, you're not supposed to be here yet!

5. Tulin

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Cameron originally intended for Bishop to "Ash" the marines and Ripley.

I was glad this wasn't done in the film because it would have been TOO MUCH like "Alien". Part of making a good sequel is knowing what to copy, what to copy and make bigger and more spectacular and, perhaps most importantly, what to INVERT.

Thus I always saw Bishop's "loyal" and "good" nature as the necessary story inversion of Ash from the first film. It is not predictable and expected(based on what we know from film one)and it allows Ripley to confront a prejudice(albeit justified)and grow from that.

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not the best film ever made, but a lot of people seemed to just want Aliens pt.2, which this isn't
    It's fifty times better than the shitefest of Alien: Resurrection though

So if they'd all had American accents it would have been fine? Ah, nice bit of racism there from your typical American

7. Tulin

For my part it had nothing to do with accents. It was the fact that THEY ALL LOOKED ALIKE.

Oh and I understand your anger on the "racism against British" thing. Here in Australia, you cannot say ANYTHING even considered SLIGHTLY derogatory against ANY group of people(under fear of being sued), except, strangely enough for one group. Yep, that's right; the British.

It's almost a national pasttime here to make light of how British people have bad teeth, don't bathe and love the queen.

Having several family members of UK origin, I find this blatantly hippocritical and, within itself, highly offensive.

But then, it just goes to show that PCness applies to everyone except white anglo saxons.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really, its just a criticism I always here of this film- "ooh they have non-American accents so I can't understand them and don't like it"

I simply find that sort of thinking offensive. That is all

9. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Given that at least half of any tirade against Alien 3 is given over to hysterics regarding the deaths of Newt and Hicks, I think there's more than a grain of truth to this. I've observed that many who prefer Alien to Aliens don't mind Alien 3, whereas many who prefer Aliens to Alien don't mind Alien Resurrection. Nobody likes both Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I don't HATE RES, I do enjoy it. I just think that maybe if they had let Whedon do his thing a bit more it would've worked out better.

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it well enough. I watched the workprint the other day and it is a pretty entertaining film. Brian Glover is great in it.

Also, I was glad they killed Newt off, I never liked that kid. Hicks was a bit of a low blow though.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The version on the anthology is much more coherent than the theatrical mess. It's a far superior film without the editing butchery/substitutions.

I still find the ending a terrific piece of cinema.

13. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Hmm, yes yes. A woman who had to deal with an unstoppable menace alone in the first film after losing all of her shipmates, has reoccurring nightmares about that haunt her to no end, summons up the courage to go out and face her fears, confronts the biggest, baddest and most horrifying creature to spawn such creatures and when she goes the distance and faces this creature head on, and after defeating the Alien menace for good, she and her companions can finally put their fears behind them and be at peace.

THAT my friends is the epic definition of character development. And what was the studio's idea for their next ALIEN? Maybe bring in a slew of new different characters and throw them in unique situations? No. You bring back a character who for all intents and purposes concluded perfectly and you kill her and everyone associated with her just for dramatic effect.

Ya, ALIEN3 certainly is a great film to *look* at, but everything from the characters to the depiction of the ALIEN is just so silly and dumb. At least in the first two ALIEN movies the Aliens did what they did for a purpose. The ALIEN in 3 seemed to just kill for the heck of it.

And regardless as to what happened during production, David Fincher is the biggest baby of the whole lot. Even I who went through two years of some of the worst schooling ever bestowed upon America that equaled almost constant misery from day 1, I'll be more than happy to talk about that with other people. You'll be lucky if you get Fincher to even leave you a vague message about the film in your answering machine (which did in fact happen).

This movie is bad. The director hated it, the fans hated it, even the general audience hated it and it didn't do anywhere near as good as the first two movies. Of course you can say it did as well as the other two but in other countries, but I'll say that the same applies to the first two films as well so that's a moot point.

And as for ALIEN Resurrection? The biggest problem that film had was simply acknowledging the 3rd film even existed. I bet the writers and actors hated the third film as much as anyone since they got the name of the prison planet wrong! Fury 161, not Fury 16!

14. Tulin

Yeah well, don't come to Australia. As I said, you will be crying in customs and won't make it out of the airport.

15. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I love David Fincher, he has directed some of my favorite films of all time but I think since he's become a bit of a movie geek icon, some people just sort of retroactively pretend like they've always thought Alien 3 was a great fucking movie. But even Fincher won't talk about this turkey...It commits the worst thing a movie can do, even worse than having bad dialogue, bad acting or bad special effects (none of which this movie has)... It's just really fucking boring.

16. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I prefer Aliens to Alien, like Alien 3 and for the most part dislike Alien: Resurrection, with exception being Sigourney Weaver's exquisite performance. I thought the ending of Alien 3 was perfect, though the film does have some major flaws, the workprint is a lot better, however.

17. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's it. Folks who profess to like Alien 3 are giving David Fincher a rimjob. :rolleyes:

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

While true, there's a reason for that. It's not that he's embarrassed by the film, it's that he felt like he got fucked over by Fox. They gave him an incomplete script, they meddled with his shoot, they filmed reshoots in Los Angeles without him when the early cut was judged not right. That the film works -- and in my opinion, it does brilliantly -- is a testament to Fincher's skills as a director in the middle of a studio-imposed shitstorm.

19. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

20. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I prefer Alien to Aliens. And I think Alien 3 was total rubbish.

I like Alien more than Aliens because I wasn't a fan of the characters, who were just way too exaggerated, and because the emphasis was more on action and "kewl" factor than a decent story and characters.

Alien 3 didn't really have any of those things. It was just straight up boring. And even though I wasn't the biggest fan of Aliens, killing off those characters pretty much invalidated that movie. Maybe if Aliens was a terrible movie, that kind of "fuck you" wouldn't be so bad, but it was.