The ANTI-ALIEN 3 thread for all ALIEN franchise fans who hated Film #3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Re: The ANTI-ALIEN 3 thread for all ALIEN franchise fans who hated Fil

An optimist! I notice you omitted Resurrection. You're not alone, there.

2. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Inspired by all the Alien talk here, I watched the extended version of Aliens on Saturday night. It's years since I've seen the film, surprising really, given how much I love it. After all these years it didn't disappoint. There was so much about it that I got a kick out of. One of the things that I'd completely misremembered was Vasquez going down. I thought she'd gone down with Drake, not Gorman. I love that scene, the way she clamps her hands over his. There's something sexual about it. Funny how time plays tricks with your memory. Still a helluva film. :techman:

3. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

I always liked that Vasquez isn't scared or anything - she is just REALLY pissed off that she is going to die and won't be able to fight anymore.

That's what I got out of the scene anyway.

4. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

Yes, Vasquez was a great character and the actress that plays her morphs her appearance from role to role.

Anyway getting back to ALIEN3.

I once read a suggestion that it would be possible to negate the film and (Four) by picking up in the opening of a new film with Ripley, Hicks and Newt emerging from Hypersleep and that all the events of Alien3 where just a "Hypersleep Nightmare" one of the characters were having. Then the film could begin...Biehn and Weaver are noticibly older now and Newt would have to be recast but these obstacles can be over come.

5. david g

david g Commodore Commodore

Personally, I think Alien 3 is the most intellectually interesting and the most daring of the sequels, each of which has its virtues. Alien 3 goes back to the despair of the first film. It's also an extraordinary AIDS allegory in which the Alien functions as a kind of killer virus infecting a male community. This is a brilliant film, and the inability of the fan community to embrace it evinces the surprising conservatism of fans.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Of the sequels, yes, but nothing tops Alien, imao. In short, I wish they'd never made a sequel but, if we have to have one, I'd take 3 over plural or Ressurection any day of the week.

7. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

I think I'd rather just have the movie ignore 3 and Resurrection. Why introduce a contrived plot device like the hyper-sleep dream if they're going to inore those two films anyway.

8. david g

david g Commodore Commodore

I happen to be in the minority camp of people who like both 3 and 4! But 3 is much the stronger film of the two. I also think that Alien is the best film in the series, followed by Alien 3, in the Assembly Cut/Special Edition version.

The only thing I dislike about the special version of Alien 3 is the climax, which is much better in the Theatrical Version, in which the Alien Queen infant bursts from Ripley's chest. W/out the alien emerging from her body, the scene has much less impact.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Fincher himself said why he didn't like the Queen-burst: It took away from Ripley's sacrifice. If she was due to burst right then and there it means she was doomed no matter what. But in the AC she kills herself even though she could have taken Bishop's offer and saved herself.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I could hardly believe it when I saw her as the Chief Science Officer of the Enterprise-B in Generations.

I wonder what it would have been like if they could have got her to play Macha Hernandez in TNG... I recall reading in one of the behind the scenes books that they tried to get her but hey could never reach an agreement on her contract. I think it was in Captain's Logs.