The age of the antihero

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Refuge, Dec 5, 2017.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they may think that they do. They may believe in something and in their own moral superiority. And it's interesting when their moral compass challenges our own. Case in point is Elizabeth Jennings on The Americans.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not arguing its the opposite. I'm arguing that the behaviors that are "antiheroic" make sense to me as human behavior.

YMMV and all that.

3. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not, and neither is Starfleet. It's apparent that "leave the enemy nothing" isn't their standard operating procedure, and there's a WORLD of difference between "top secret military technology that would give the enemy a strategic advantage!" and "something they need because they're desperate and starving." Those are two COMPLETELY different things.

Starfleet is known to keep the enemy from obtaining the former. But if the Klingons had raided Shenzhou looking for leftover food and water, spare parts or emergency supplies as a matter of pure survival, nobody at Starfleet would or should have lost any sleep over that. That they snagged a barely-functional engine part in an ultimately meaningless attempt to get their ship working falls into the same category.

Starfleet has no obligation to render aid to enemy combatants, especially unlawful/irregular forces like T'Kuvma's merry men. On the other hand, they have no particular impetus to deliberately sabotage the SURVIVAL of those combatants once they have been immobilized. It's easy to forget that this is an organization whose basic hand weapon has a non-lethal setting which they still use even in times of war.

Are there any sensitive military secrets on Shenzhou that need to be sanitized? Is there any classified information in its computers? Is there anything on the ship that Starfleet cannot afford to allow the Klingon Empire to have access to? The answer is categorically "no." So scuttling the ship accomplishes no strategic goal whatsoever and is both a waste of material and an unnecessary risk to the crew.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it was not, and had not been for several days at least. The "crystal residue" on the device was a consequence of its lack of function and advanced state of decay.

Furthermore, you should really refrain from commenting on the status of this so-called "power core" until you can find the time to watch the actual episode; at this point it is abundantly clear you have not, and are commenting on matters you know nothing about.

Vger23 likes this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the Geneva Conventions arguments were already settled a couple months ago. And now they're back. :confused:

I hope I will be as trim as Lorca a couple decades from now when I, too, become a fifty-something antihero.

"Multi-quote" is your friend. :techman:

Kor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Ovation, fireproof78 and Prax like this.
  6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing is ever settled when it comes to enraged nerds trying to prove that they are right!

:rommie:

Ovation and Kor like this.
  7. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Antiheroes think moral high grounds are for suckers...

...because context...is for kings.

Vger23 and Crazy Eddie like this.
  8. fireproof78

Don't be ridiculous.
    "Mankind is the measure of all things."

Kor likes this.
  9. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Tell that to the Klingon Houses.

10. fireproof78

Will do.

Vger23 likes this.
  11. Prax

As a non antihero, I find myself in disagreement to the quote.

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

An anti-antihero?

13. fireproof78

So, a hero?

Vger23 likes this.
  14. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

But the same applies to heroic behavior, right?

15. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

I thought that was just residue due to the point that the ship had been abandoned in space for so long. And wasn't the difficulty mentioned referring to extracting the device?

Also, where did you get the absurd idea that I didn't watch the episode?

16. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

It may also go the other way round, i.e., with heroes acting in terms of ideals while antiheroes employing realpolitik. At least that's what I gathered from the OP.

Refuge likes this.
  17. Prax

I'm just a simple man, tryin to make my way in the universe.

Vger23 likes this.
  18. fireproof78

Yes, because people are capable of both.
    Spoken by a heroic character.

19. Prax

A heroic villain?

20. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Actually, the anti-hero can and probably should claim the moral high ground for himself. If not breaking the rules of morality will sometimes lead to disastrous results, then robotically obeying those rules is immoral. You might want to keep those rules around for instrumental purposes and talk other people into following them, but you shouldn't actually believe in them yourself.

This won't work for all moral traditions, of course.