Terminator VI

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Relayer1, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

As often happens, the second trailer makes up for some bad impressions formed from the first trailer.

She changed it permanently...but what she changed it to also happens to be crappy. ;)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is a very well done trailer, I'll give it that. Still not 100% sold on the movie, but it has provided a pretty decently done trailer, at least.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't they also address that in Terminator 3? "You can't postpone judgement day, only delay it" Or something like that.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you meant "prevent." "Postpone" means the same thing as delay.

But yes, I do recall something alone those lines being said in T3.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Forgot to mention: I love that Sarah says "I'll be back" this time. :D

True, but it's still nice to see that addressed and how it ties into the subtitle, which makes it a little more acceptable than it was initially on face value.

Honestly, I don't remember. I only ever watched it the one time and quickly forgot all of it. Salvation is the only post T2 sequel I've watched more than once because I'm one of the few people who actually thinks it's any good.

6. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

To me, this just looks like another rehash of T2. We'll see if they have any tricks up their sleeve to differentiate it or give it some heft beyond "another killer robot from the future comes back to kill Jesus' mom/Jesus."

Though this trailer did make Sarah's journey look potentially interesting, at least. Lends some serious credence to the rumors floating around about John's role in things, but also potentially creates some meaty drama for Linda Hamilton and Arnie. And I'm at least a little curious how the T-800 ends up on team human this time.

So I suppose I'm at least curious about the film, if I can't say I'm interested.

That's more than Genisys got out of me. So they must be doing something right, or at least better.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This trailer was a even better than the other one. I was already interested after the first one, but this one definitely got me much more curious.

saddestmoon likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

Whoops.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In T3, the T-850 said of the war: "You only postponed it. Judgment Day is inevitable." And then in the closing voiceover, John talks about his and Kate's destiny. Many took this as T3 the movie establishing Judgment Day as inevitable, but: A) the T-850 admits to lying elsewhere in the movie in service to his mission to ensure John and Kate's survival, and B) at that point in time, the nuclear strikes were only hours away, so, if pressed, he might have clarified that they were only inevitable at that moment. Indeed, later in the movie, he says "There is insufficient time" to stop the war, which suggests that with sufficient time, the war could be postponed again, at the least. Ergo, the movie's overall take on the matter is murky, but T3 is now being ignored (again), so that's all academic, I guess.

Deadline has a story with Cameron about the movie today. He says the crew started filming both R and PG-13 takes of the same scenes, but eventually said to hell with the censored versions. A wise choice, given the Deadpool movies' huge B.O. He also comments on Genisys:

“I suppose it is an unusual situation from a high-level perspective since I wasn’t involved in three intervening films, but when I talked to David Ellison about it his vision for this was basically to go back to basics and do a continuation from Terminator 2, which is one of his favorite films,” Cameron said. “He’s always believed in the potential of Terminator but he really felt that his own film, Genysis — and he was quite honest with me about this — fell short of the mark and didn’t really do what he had wanted it to do. So he said, ‘Let’s start with a blank slate and take it back to Terminator 2.’ And that idea was intriguing.”​

(Which is, of course, also what Genisys did.) And:

Did Cameron go back to dissect the three Terminator films made without his participation? Yes, he and the project’s writing team did revisit the third, fourth, and fifth movies in the killer cyborg series, which Cameron says revealed some things that would need to avoid if Dark Fate is to have any chance of a bright destiny.

“One of the things that seemed obvious from looking at the films that came along later was that we would need to get everything back to the basics and that we would need to avoid the mistakes of making things overly complex and that we needed to avoid stories that jumps around in time and one that goes backward and forward in time,” he said. “Let’s keep it simple in the relative unity of time. With the story, let’s have the whole thing play out in 36 hours or 48 hours. In the first two movies everything plays out in less than two days in each one so there’s energy and momentum.”​

That's true of T3 also, Jim... :p

Kitty Worrier likes this.
  10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I think I'm interested and might go to the theater.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So fuck you, Genisys. I agree. ;)

Guy Gardener and The Nth Doctor like this.
  12. Tuskin38

I liked Genisys, I didn't like 3 or Salvation.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In t2, we only had the Terminators word that that forge would kill him. It could be the same Robot.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've already said it's not.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

For me, they get worse each movie. T3 was a barely acceptable disappointment, T4 probably could have been good if the script was given a complete overhaul by someone other than the two hacks who wrote T3, and T5 was...well, I won't say out of respect for the fact that you liked it. ;)

16. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

I've never seen 4 or 5. Bad word of mouth kept me away from them. I was tempted to watch 5 because I'm a big Matt Smith fan, but in the end I didn't bother. I didn't think a lot of 3. The best aspect of that movie was the fact that they didn't have a magic save at the end and allowed judgement day to happen.

17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this trailer has made me do a 360 from not caring about this movie at all to thinking it might be fun to see in a theater. Jason

saddestmoon likes this.
  18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am not sure what to expect from this. My main interest at this point is the return of Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. She was the main character in the first two films. Which has been sorely missing in everything since.

John Connor is more of a cypher and legend than an actual character. Started out by hearing about him but not seeing. Than in the second film just a young kid and more talk of future greatness. Maybe if a single actor had reprised the role more than once something could have been built.

I never thought about it until recently the first Terminator films are the only works of James Cameron I really love. He has done other things I enjoyed. But little in decades. I am not sure what he will bring to this now.

He was such a public champion of Genisys. Which I found mostly awful. It did not stand as it’s own story at all. Just setup for contrived rebooted elements of the franchise that will never be followed up. Like many of these failed shared universe films. That caremore about setup for other moves than character or plot. T3 and Salvation are far from perfect. But work as self contained sequels. T3 more than Salvation. It’s best thing was Anton Yelchin as young Kyle Reese. I always thought Genisys would have been elevated tremendously if he had been brought back as Kyle.

I am glad Cameron looked at the sequels he did not make. You can not make this film in a vacuum in which they do not exist to the audience. Whether to avoid accidental repetition or deliberate contrary choices as a criticism.

The problem is there are basic elements people expect from a Terminator film. I do not care if it’s a new AI from later in the future. Wouldn’t still just be Skynet with a different name?

Maybe the only solution is figure why an AI would want to destroy Humanity? Fix Humanity plus change the process of how machines view humans, so we can co-exist. But that is probably too cerebral for something like this,

19. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great to see Aerial HKs! :) huzzah!

20. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, this trailer looks pretty good. I'm really starting to dig the twofer Terminator model in this one. I also like that Gabriel Luna is playing the infiltrator role in this one (as opposed to the non-unassuming gargantuan Austrian bodybuilder model :lol: ). Loved the line, "Expect a big ping brother! My whole body's a weapon!"

I'm probably a shitty judge of movies, since I'm only one of about three people that actually enjoyed Genisys, but I plan on seeing this one in theaters!

saddestmoon likes this.