Ten Forward Lounge - Miscellaneous General Chat & Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Locutus of Bored, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Greetings, my name is Bad Moon Rising and I am reaching out on behalf of my love of Star Trek. This call will be recorded for quality and training.

If you've ever gotten a sales call from Mutual Of Omaha you've probably talked to me, I'm that pushy SOB who tries to sell old people more coverage than they can afford. And cancer insurance. And "accidental death" coverage that doesn't cover the 50 most common causes of accidental death. But hey I have no soul and feel no remorse as bilk people out of their retirement.

(the proceeding statements may have been sarcastic in nature. I hate my job.)

But I DO love Star Trek. Grew up on TNG and the TOS movies, and really enjoy the new stuff. Looking forward to the next one, unless it involves time travel. Then I may enjoy it slightly less.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone experienced a pronounced loss of functionality on the part of Google Images during the last few days?

3. BaronNumNums

BaronNumNums Ensign Red Shirt

Nope.

Do you guys have a chat, discord, shoutbox or something similar here?

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

If you update your status, it's posts to the New Profile Posts thread where everyone can see it. People even post to each through their status. It's like a super message board.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

If you want to send posts to another person, you should use Conversations button. Profile Posts aren't for carrying on conversations with another person.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

People do though. I personally like the themed multi-profile posts. Current running themes; Lassie, Live long and prosper versions, and pumpkin spice.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lassie? Hmph. London was smarter. :p

bbjeg likes this.
  8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Wait, London can drive a car, operate a hlt air balloon, and he's partnered with Batgirl? Lassie sucks.

9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

welcome to all new newbies :)
    baron, after you made a certain number of posts (sorry, I can't recall how many), you'll automatically be granted the ability to contact people by personal message. Until then, the profile comments - as suggested by bbjeg - are the only way to chat directly with us.
    In the meantime, get to know your fellow newbies in the Red Shirt Lounge and discover the ancient posts of us oldtimers down there :) It's a good way to get to know people and the Lounges are a lot of fun. Quite a lot of real life friendships and even a few marriages (and divorces) started there :)

Question to the revered Mods: is guest posting permitted here or has Bad Moon already left the board? Just curious if I missed a major posting permissions change, not having been online in almost 2 months.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

11. rhubarbodendron

Thanks :) It's been a while, hasn't it? Almost 3 months! Such a lot happened - dad was in hospital, the rest of the family caught the flu, my internet connection broke down, the house had to be conversed to fit dad's new needs and we have the coldest and snowiest winter in decades. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbows in both arms from all that snow shovelling and am now waiting placidly for whatever other domestic catastrophy might be lurking.
    On the positive side: I was waaay too busy to remember taking my medication and have now successfully quit it completely. With all these every day probs I really have no time anymore for a burnout or anxiety fit :D
    And yesterday was the first aniversary of my horrible landlady's death. One year without being stalked, harassed or thrown out of bed in the dead of night. YAY!! I think I'll celebrate this with a huge bowl of chocolate mousse for supper :drool:

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a wild 3 months. Glad to see you well though and enjoy the chocolate mousse for both of us (lactose intolerant).

13. rhubarbodendron

thanks :) I can drink milk but cream (lots in my chocolate mousse) gives me a belly ache, too. But some things are worth suffering for =) I've been a cream fan all my life.
    When I was a kid, cream was terribly expensive and therefore I only got some once a year on my birthday cake. Never remotely enough, though. My mom uses to call those big cumulus clouds that herald a thunderstorm "whipped cream clouds" and like all children I thought parents always say the truth and sooo hoped for a cloud to drop off the sky in a storm. Then one day we took a trip to the mountains and dad announced that we'd drive through the clouds :drool: - and then I learned that
    a) clouds are ugly wet foggy stuff and b) parents lie like everyone else.

14. Brass

Brass Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi all,

Long time ST fan, I just found your forum recently and wanted to join up. With the new show coming out soon, my interest in ST has been rekindled big time. I watched TNG growing up as a kid in the 90s, which launched my lifelong love with the ST universe. Over the years I have watched just about all episodes of all series, excluding the animated series. (I guess I'm not a true fan yet HA!) Recently I've been rewatching ENT all the way through. I have to say I think that show got a lot of undeserved hate, while some of the criticisms I agree with. Anyway, looking forward to discussing all things ST, especially Discovery.

Cheers,

Joe

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

16. xanne

xanne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi there!
    Here's my story mates: I became a Star Trek fan since a friend of mine encouraged me to watch Star Trek Into Darkness, we watched that one mainly because Benedict was in it (we know him from playing Sherlock on BBC and enjoyed his performance a lot); later on, I watched the first one (2009) and, after that, I began watching The Original Series; at that very time, I was getting hooked by the show, by the logic of vulcan; from then on I've watched all the Star Trek films and all The Next Generation seasons, and I'm planning to re-watch TNG for several times until I get really bored (if there's a way to get bored by the show!) before getting on with Voyager or Deep Space Nine.

17. Jonesdude

Jonesdude Cadet Newbie

Hi,
    I'm a Star Trek Fan since the age of 5 (am 30 now) and I just discovered this forum (it was linked on ex-astris-scientia).
    I adore TNG and DS9, I love TOS, I like VOY and I tolerate ENT, whereas I despise JarJar Trek. :-)

TNG was really the first series that I ever watched and I stuck with Star Trek since then.
    I also edit videos as a hobby (Adobe Premiere). Maybe I will post some Star Trek videos here, if people are interested.

Live long and prosper, mates!

bbjeg likes this.
  18. xanne

xanne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

^ welcome aboard!

I'm curious, I'd like to see any of your creations, what are them about? any topic or character in particular?

Jonesdude likes this.
  19. Jonesdude

Jonesdude Cadet Newbie

I've edited severel videos with Star Trek footage. Some are about the federation and its society, some are about a season or a story arc in particular, one is about exploration and some vids are just pure geek vids.

I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by posting them in this threat. As a newbie am still quite unfamiliar with the rules.

Vid about the Dominian Story Arc (its sorta trailer like, but it spoils alot, so its intended to be a compilation for someone who has already watched DS9):

Just a general Trek vid. Song: Pink Floyd - Echoes
    its 1.6GB or something, but its HD and I am really proud of that vid. Features TNG,TOS, some DS9:
    https://uploadfiles.io/7a880

TNG Vid that I edited some months ago:

Star Trek Vid about exploration:

I've got some more, but these are best of em :)

20. retroenzo

retroenzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a bit of a fan of Trek music videos like this but I'll have to check them out when I'm not in work (naughty me, accessing TrekBBS in work time...). I've made a couple with a friend, but due to the completely low-tech way we made them, they don't look great now.

Jonesdude likes this.