Tardigrade lawsuit appealed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Krandor, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

He's been delusional. That's nothing new.

Kzinti and Grendelsbayne like this.
  2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Geez, I had a bit of sympathy for him as a naive person who got in over his head, but that’s evaporated after seeing his recent comments.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. Calling people "CBS Trolls" over asking questions is ridiculous.

4. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

Am I misremembering, or wasn't there a photo of a big tardigrade cut-out on set during filming? Because, like, wouldn't that have been before the tardigrade game imagery was released, and wouldn't that be pretty damning? Is that a photo that exists somewhere?

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What would have been damning for whom?

6. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

It would pretty conclusively prove that the Discovery team hadn't seen any of the Tardigrades game at that point.

7. CorporalCaptain

And that would be more damning than filming a scene scripted to be about a tardigrade at the same time but without such a cut-out how exactly?

8. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

I don't follow? My point was that I seem to recall such a thing, and if it exists, I'd be interested in a link to it. One of the occasional accusations of the anti-CBS crowd is that Ripper's specific design was a post-production VFX choice, and such a cut-out would argue against it.

Regardless, it's rather clear that the timeline isn't in Abdin's favor.

9. CorporalCaptain

It's always nice to actually have citations to a thing before declaring/implying that it's damning (or asking a leading question, which is basically the same thing). And since you didn't explicitly say who it would be damning to, I asked. I hope that's clear enough.

10. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

:shrug: If I had a citation, I wouldn't need to ask for one, surely? And such a photo, if taken prior to Abdin's announcement, would be rather good evidence against his position. There's a difference between asking for evidence to suit a theory and asking if someone has evidence that I remembered seeing. And I'm well aware of what a leading question is--I taught my students about them today, actually! What a strange tone this conversation has taken.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone knows when these episodes were filmed, but here's the photo in question: https://twitter.com/CenterWillHold/status/917239269349052416?s=20

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that's the crux of it. It's the era of monetizing other people's hate of modern Star Trek.

Alex Peters was making "true" Star Trek and people believed him based on a short film made by talented people who have all since had enough of his BS and left.

Midnight's Edge, Doomcock and friends tell Trek haters exactly what they want to hear, over and over again that everything's about to collapse at CBS Trek HQ, and their fans keep listening even though it never ever pans out. They want it to be true and the click money keeps coming in. (I really wish I thought of this one myself!)

This Anas guy might just somehow bring down that evil Fake Trek Discoverfake in court, and who knows what'll happen next? Maybe they'll give the franchise to Alex Peters, cancel that fake Patrick Stewart Trek show and bring back True Trek stars like Kate Vernon*:lol:

*Nothing against Kate, but obviously she was never in Star Trek.

JoeP, burningoil and serabine like this.
  12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    What's really disturbing to me is that the "glory hole sex" that Abdin describes and uses, isn't really nor has it been what one would call an exclusive or preferred "Gay" activity.
    (at least not in my many years of experience)
    The majority of guys looking for satisfaction in that manner are not openly Gay, they are (supposed) Straight men just looking to get off in one way or another.
    To me, that demonstrates that Abdin is just exploiting something he doesn't really understand, which is quite insulting to the LGBTQ community.

saladdays, Bad Thoughts and serabine like this.
  13. CorporalCaptain

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    CorporalCaptain likes this.
  15. CorporalCaptain

Gah!

16. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Originally Bryan Fuller wanted Ripper to be a regular member of the bridge crew, but it was deemed to expensive to have a CGI background character in nearly every episode. Fuller wanted to keep the tardigrade and that's how we ended up with Ripper being connected to the spore drive. I'm sure there would be tons of evidence, like character notes, a show bible and concept art that CBS could produce to prove that the idea for a tardigrade character was reached independently.

I find this whole situation really sad. Not for Abdin, but for how star trek fans are behaving. It really is disgusting that a segment of the fanbase want to cancel/damage a Star Trek series, because its not the way they want it to be. They really are just a bunch of petulant man-children. Like seriously, how fucking empty must their lives be to carry on like this?

JoeP, burningoil, donners22 and 2 others like this.
  17. serabine

serabine Commander Red Shirt

I can't tell you exactly when this was filmed, but I know that by June 14th they were filming Magic To Make The Sanest Man Go Mad (S01E07). You can see the date on the clapper thingy they use on film productions in the ninth picture here:

https://sciencefiction.com/2017/12/19/ten-behind-scenes-photos-star-trek-discovery/

Which is why even if Abdin's case was "undismissed" they could slap his main argument down with as little as the raw footage including the clapper thingies with the dates on it.

Also, here's a cute photo with one of the tardigrade cutouts with one of the writers:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/extspace/status/917246527004913665

Midquest likes this.
  18. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

This is where I respond with a vague shrugging gesture.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Which points back to where this all started. If I remember correctly, there was an article that came after STID that proposed Kirk could have used tardigrades to repair the warp core while the Enterprise plummeted to Earth.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  20. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor and Bad Thoughts like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.