Surely something good happened to you today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christmas starts earlier every year.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL indeed. They've been selling gingerbread and chocolate santas for a week now, over here. I boycott them, though. My vicinity is off limits for anything Christmassy till December!

3. Butters

To be fair, I have already started the Christmas planning. The tree won’t go up until the week before the day, but the work piss up, the kids presents, pantomime tickets, booking the rooms at the holiday inn, the ordering of the bird. That all starts about now.

I do miss the spiritual side of it all, but that can’t be forced, or booked in advance, or obtained on a two for one offer.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I have no real idea what these actually mean, but you apparently have some interesting holiday traditions over there.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  5. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I figured out how to cut 5-1/2-inch x 3/4-inch boards into 5 1-inch x 3/4-inch strips with a minimum of waste. Remember that blades and bits have thickness.

TribbleFeeder and Random_Spock like this.
  6. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Got to rent some movies (RBG, Book Club, Deadpool 2 and The Water Diviner) and games (Pokepark 2: Wonders Beyond and Castlevania: Mirror of Fate) tonight :).

Sibyl likes this.
  7. Butters

:eek: I think we need a What’s Your Christmas Traditions thread.

You must have a traditional annual Christmas office piss up though, everyone has those. It begins in the office with a few bottles of wine drank from plastic cups, and it ends with no one ever talking about it ever.

Pantomimes are all about men in frocks and audience participation. Buckets of water and ‘he’s behind you!’, that sort of thing.

They’re as big a part of Christmas as goose fat and ghost stories.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

A "piss up" is just a term for party/get together that involves the consumption of alcohol.

As for a Pantomime, it's a stage play. often based on fairy tales and other types of stories aimed at children. They're mainly also aimed at a family audience, with jokes and the like aimed at children and then some aimed well over their heads. - It is a particularly British thing.

Avro Arrow, Sibyl and Butters like this.
  9. Avro Arrow

Thanks to you both! :)

I had admittedly never heard that specific term before, but yes, we do have a party. Ours is held at a local establishment, and you have to buy tickets to attend. There is a cash bar, but I believe you get a free drink ticket or two with your admission charge.

I've never actually gone to ours, though. Having to spend money I can't spare to go to an event that I'm too introverted to even enjoy, never seemed to make much sense.

Drinking alcohol actually in the office is strictly prohibited.

Interesting. We have Christmas concerts and Christmas pageants, but nothing quite exactly the same as this.

Oh, the ghost stories is a real thing too? I've always wondered why that line was in the song. I just eventually concluded it was supposed to be a vague reference to A Christmas Carol. :lol:

Butters likes this.
  10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I go to a Christmas Panto every year here in Houston, Texas--of all places. Granted, it's only been going on for about 10 years or so.

Butters likes this.
  11. Butters

Struggling to resist the urge to start a Christmas thread. It’s only September, got the joys of autumn to get through. The way the chill in the breeze makes itself known and dew collects on the car and grass overnight. The old jumpers come out of the bottom draw and another blanket goes on the bed. At some point, the heating will go on. The mornings begin misty and the leaves change colour. Soon, the mornings will be dark and the evenings darker, and we only see the sun at the weekend. Root veg take over the menu and pumpkins appear in the shops. The evening air thickens with coal and wood smoke. Hallowe’en happens, Bon fire night comes, with its cinder toffee, toffee apples, Parkin, and hot tea from a flask. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a jacket spud, cooked in the communal bonfire, to eat while the fire works go off. The leaves turn to mulch and the parks and tree lined streets have an amazing fresh peaty damp scent. Dr Who returns to TV and adverts for Christmas seep in to our consciousness, whetting the appetite for shameless over indulgence.

Autumn. The best season.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  12. rhubarbodendron

we could start a cookie recipe thread in November :) I always have cookies from all over the world

Good thing today: we had rain! YAY! A nice 20 minute downpour that flooded all the pedestrians walks (and naturally it started the instant I went out and stopped when I arrived at my office :D)

13. Sibyl

Of course! That's the way it works!

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, work went smoother than expected, so that's definitely a plus. The other good thing is that the car passed its MOT without any hassle:)

rhubarbodendron, Sibyl and Butters like this.
  15. Avro Arrow

It's a holiday today! How can that not be good? :D

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Clean sheet night, and my bedroom looks way better now! I've been working on a deep clean for months and I can see my floor and my desk!

17. rhubarbodendron

Seems to be fall cleaning month - I, too, suffered from am attack of tidying up yesterday.

Right after lunch break I'll get a Win 10 PC at my office. Plus a larger screen. No more communications problems with the printer server. YAY!
    (But presumably a gazillion new bugs... Frankly, I am not sure whether this will not end up as an entry for the Argh thread)

Random_Spock and Avro Arrow like this.
  18. Sibyl

I had purchased those 3ds Max scripted plugins a couple of weeks back, but the thing is, somehow I repurchased one that I'd already had thinking that I was getting a different one. I found this out today and emailed the programmer. He said that he'd gladly send me the one I thought I was buying. Now, the one I wanted is 5 Euros cheaper, but I told him when I emailed that he could keep the extra and that his scripts were definitely worth the extra.

I'll get it Sunday when he gets back home.

His scripts are extremely useful.

And yes, it's fall cleaning! I ended up moving my computer to the front of my house because there will be another person living here in the middle of October and they'll be living in my previous office.

I need to finish that basement, too. The front section needs a whole lotta work still. My lathe/router room is almost ready. Now I need to get power in there. I think an extension cord will need to do for the moment.

And yeah, my small wood lathe was another gift from my dad that I had not even opened yet, and therefore I was not able to show him any work.

19. rhubarbodendron

YAY this day is full of happy ends so far =)
    • Woke up 3 times last night but still got a total of 10 hours sleep
    • tried to disassemble my malfunctioning landline-telephone to find that I had no fitting screw driver but managed to open it with a kitchen-knife
    • Found a second hand shop on ebay that has the required spare part but I have no ebay account anymore (they changed the data security to a level I am not comfortable with). Turns out that this particular seller has a shop IRL and sells from there as well.
    • Got a message that a component of my firewall will be switched off in November and I must remove part of the software before that date or face browser malfunctions. The link to the directions how to do that was - naturally - broken. But a google search directed me to the page and the removal seems to be really simple
    4 happy ends within 70 minutes. That's a higher rate than any soap opera has :biggrin:
    Now let's see if the day continues like this. Maybe I can finally finish that quilt for my sister in law that I unravelled thrice already (I'm better at hand quilting - my sewing machine isn't really made for that sort of work - but I must meet a deadline and the machine is faster, even with all the unravelling)

Sibyl likes this.
  20. Sibyl

Even if it was a major irritant last night after dark, I realized that my video doorbell was no longer working on house power, but on battery. I figure I must've pulled a wire or two when setting up my new computer station at the front of my house and somehow broke one of the wires leading to my doorbell.

I yanked the doorbell off of its mounting plate, drew wire out of the hole I'd drilled in my house (easier said than done as I'd filled that hole with silicone caulk after finishing the job the first time), cut it, and rewired the mounting plate, all the while holding my little flashlight in my teeth.

Long story short, I was able to troubleshoot it and fix it and now my doorbell is working off of house power again.

Even more good news is that being on house power for so long seems to have repaired the built-in battery in the unit. I purchased it used and hadn't realized that it was basically borked at the time and the battery didn't hold a charge. It seems to have resolved itself now. :)