Surely something good happened to you today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Aug 21, 2018.

1. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

2. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

I had my first proper gaming live stream on Twitch last night. (Retro City Rampage DX.) There were no viewers but it felt good sticking to a schedule and promoting the channel on Twitter. Baby steps.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

@Scribble you have 7 HDDs in one machine? What do you need all that storage space for?

4. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

@rhubarbodendron, actually, 10 hard drives and four...no, five SSDs (forgot about the M.2 NVME (OS) drive under my video card).

A lot of it is backup files (I've also backed the important ones up on DVD or Blu-Ray) and just older drives that I've collected over the years. Some applications I use (like music apps) prefer some of the information (samples, etc.) to be on a separate drive form the operating system. I don't actually need most of these hooked up at any one time, but it's just a whole lot simpler to just leave 'em plugged in.

Three of the hard drives act as one (RAID0) for my 4K video capture for faster write speeds. Three I just discovered and decided to plug in again to see what was on them. Nothing of any use, so they're blank now. One was in my NAS (4TB) and since I don't trust that NAS anymore, it's going to be my video storage drive. The SSDs will be my various music-making drives (samples love the fast read/write of SSDs, but they're too small to use as my video capture drives).

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Went to a stroll down memory lane, watching old pictures of my family and friends, some of these pictures are more than four decades old.

6. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got somewhere around 20tb of space between 8 of them myself. Hard drives are so much cheaper than they used to be.

7. Sibyl

The cable raceway kit I received today came with connecting accessories I didn't know it included. I thought I was just purchasing a 9-pack of raceways and that the connectors (various right-angle and straight) were sold separately. Guess not!

A nice surprise.

8. Sibyl

Production-made vs. modern reproduction using the same molds.

It's a different connector between the two halves, a different type of pin, all together on the back, and on the modern reproduction, the dangling "onion" is upside-down.

[​IMG]

think and Avro Arrow like this.
  9. Sibyl

(Sorry for the double-post) (the first post in my three-in-a-row was a few hours ago)

The results of my cable raceway:

[​IMG]

think likes this.
  10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Last week I had a few problems with my fiber optic internet. I complained about it to my provider and said that my contractual period was coming to an end. They got the message because they decided to grant me one month free to apologize for the problems!!!

Sibyl likes this.
  11. Sibyl

After a public conversation with @Santaman in the song thread and listening to a bunch of the pieces he'd posted I have a bunch of ideas for ambient tunes running through my head.

I may need to fire up Cubase and see what I can come up with.

think likes this.
  12. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No mess to sort this morning, which is good because we’ve ran out of fresh bedding.

KimMH and Sibyl like this.
  13. Butters

Hot fresh sausage rolls for breakfast, in the car.

Gary Mitchell, KimMH and Sibyl like this.
  14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I had a nice cup of coffee and it hasn't tasted this good in a long time. For some reason, coffee never tastes exactly the same.

Sibyl and Butters like this.
  15. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Baby brother and his longtime fiancée have set a wedding date. They were both a little gun shy b/c both their first marriages went bad but we’re all so excited and happy for them!

16. Butters

I got satellite TV installed again, the fifteen year old dish replaced, all our TV channels and streaming on one device, except amazon prime.

Gary Mitchell, KimMH, Sibyl and 2 others like this.
  17. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    My sinuses aren't clogged anymore!

18. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

Same here. I've been dealing with a clogged ear/sinus problem. There might be a bug going around but I'm over the worst of it.

Today, I figured out how to link my PS4 to my laptop with remote play and record with Streamlabs OBS. (Open Broadcasting Software.) It was a nice surprise. Although, I want to try to remote play with the PS3. Which means that I can record/live stream backward compatible PS1 games.

The tools to build a retro gaming channel for free were right under my nose the whole time.

Sibyl and CommanderRaytas like this.
  19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    In my case, it was allergies, but no matter what the cause, clogged sinuses are really nasty.

Sibyl and KimMH like this.
  20. think

think About it! Premium Member

Nothing good or bad till a friend treated me to Asian food for lunch and after lunch Dunkin donuts...tea. Woe.. I am happy.