Spoilers "Superman & Lois" Season 1 spoiler discussion!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Realist, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Where's that from? Original product of Guy Gardener? Nice work on any account.

Never watched much of that show.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The concept of Jimmy being "nerdy" comes mainly from Jack Larson on TV. Jimmy was created on radio to be a cool, popular kid, a figure that children in the audience could identify with and fantasize about being like, as he palled around with Superman and fought crime and went on wild adventures to the Moon and lost underground kingdoms and such. He was to Superman what Robin was to Batman, particularly in the comics of the '50s and early '60s. (Jimmy was a very rare presence in the '40s comics despite being a core player on radio; his comics career didn't take off until the mid-'50s, in reaction to his prominence in the TV series.) Except he was more prone than Robin to go on solo adventures in which he was the central character, albeit inevitably needing Superman to come to his rescue eventually.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Wow, I never knew all that! Thanks!

Regarding Superman Returns, anyone here ever read the article Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex? :evil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Steel,_Woman_of_Kleenex?wprov=sfla1

Also, I had major issues with how much that movie ripped off the 1978 Superman. There were literally complete lines of dialog from it! We took a friend to see it with us and afterwards brought her home to show her Superman: The Movie (she'd never seen it).

4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I wanted to see with the boys was them getting partial Superman Powers.

Each one get's ½ of Clark's powers and learn how to function as a tandem when push comes to shove.

5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of hope that they switch the trope and have the one without powers become the crime fighter. Jonathan becomes a cop. Maybe even finds a home in Smallville as being a officer on the force. Jordan becomes a musician or something. Eventually goes out and sees the world. I kind of like they idea of them showing 2 different ways of basically living the American dream. The peaceful quiet way of small town life or a more worldly way where you go and experience new and different things yet both are shown to be good things.

Commander Troi and Sketcher like this.
  6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

We get it, you're woke.

SuperTwin Powers...Activate!

Commander Troi and TREK_GOD_1 like this.
  7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes--decades ago, and Niven was correct on some points, but he understood (from interviews conducted in the years after his essay) that DC was never going to explore the numerous impossibilities in a Kryptonian having sexual relations with a fragile human being. That's something one would expect to see in vintage MAD magazine.

Superman Returns was helmed by a man who believed regurgitating every creative beat and tone from the Donner and Lester films was going to make his movie not only a sequel, but mainline the success of the 1978 film into his own, making it a would-be "perfect" bookend production. Obviously, that failed for a number of reasons (including Routh apeing Reeve and Spacey doing the same with Hackman to the point where a recent viewing will leave one coming away with the idea that their performances were partial parody, the film set in the present day, yet this sequel's characters have not aged in decades, etc.).

Singer's only "credit" is that he liberally used the physicality and certain visual stylings from the comics.

8. Jayson1

Oh boy. The woke word has been evoked. This thread is about to go sideways for a few pages.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Anwar, EnderAKH, dupersuper and 2 others like this.
  9. TREK_GOD_1

Quoted for truth.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Woke" simply means aware of what's going on, not in denial about the state of things. So I'll take it. And I have no sympathy for people who think it's an insult.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not that being woke is bad, substitute any word you want there, it's the least important one. It's the insinuation that anyone who has talked about Lois' appearance are part of that society that feels more entitled to talk about women's appearance than men, and that, but of course, you're not one of those.

It's like the old joke, how do you know someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

12. TREK_GOD_1

...and assume they are qualified to speak about / define every group outside of their own, including making judgements about the beliefs, needs and desires of others.

13. Jayson1

Woke was just a slogan and eventually became a slur and now is more slur than slogan because it becoming a slur rendered it useless as a slogan.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Superman Created Equal" was a comic where all the men on Earth died, except Superman (and Lex Luthor).

A virus.

So superman finally knocked up Lois.

She died in child birth like popping a pimple.

After that he was only allowed to make new babies with Amazons.

They may have died?

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What does that have to do with anything?

16. Guy Gardener

This...

Woke just means you woke up and noticed injustice you didn't earlier.

To be honest, no one is woke.

No one just woke up.

We all know that women and minorities have been shit on by old rich white guys since old rich white guys were invented.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  17. TREK_GOD_1

See the Batwoman thread. Some white liberals (like the one referred to on page 82) arrogantly yell from the rooftops about how they "understand" others and dare to "explain" what their needs, beliefs or values are (and who they should see as their problem), when its that exact type of white liberal who is the most unqualified, inexperienced of all to talk the shit they do. For people like me, it is seen as utterly presumptuous and offensive in the extreme.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Guy Gardener and Commander Troi like this.
  18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]

19. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Anyway... :rolleyes:

Of course Niven understood that, but I felt like someone had read it when (pre-TV-Crisis) Clark took Lois to Argo City to have the baby. I thought it was at least partially a safety precaution.

Also, I have to admit that the Super-Wonder-Twins idea has a certain appeal. :techman:

20. Guy Gardener

If Alison Mack is a sex Cult leader who brands her sex slaves, then maybe her character "Chloe" from Smallville is a sex Cult leader who brands her sex slaves?

Rewatching Smallville Post Nxivm will be a hoot.

Bullshitting on the spot.

Although, I am wondering if there is a connection between The Green Lantern emotional spectrum, and the colours of Kyrptonite.

White light/Life
    White Kryptonite/Lethal to plant life.

Red light/Rage ·
    Red Kryptonite/ Remove inhibitions

Orange light/Avarice ·
    Orange Kryptonite/ gives animals superpowers

Yellow light/Fear ·
    Yellow Kryptonite/Gold Kryptonite/ Takes away super powers permanently.

Green light/Willpower ·
    Green Kryptonite/ Weakens Kryptonians, kills with long enough exposure.

Blue light/Hope ·
    Blue Kryptonite/ Weakens Bizarro, Kills with long enough exposure.

Indigo light/Compassion ·
    Indigo Kryptonite/Perrywinkle Kryptonite/Loses inhibitions.

Violet light/Love.
    Violet Kryptonite/Purple Kryptonite/ Seen on Superfriends, effect unknown.