Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe there have been reports of a fight scene where he uses heat vision.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Modern creators are way too in love with Superman using his heat vision like a laser gun to not have it in the movie.

3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very exciting stuff. :)

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to see him use his heat vision like a machine gun. Slaughter thousands of hum -- robots -- with his laser eyes. Pew pew pew!

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I kinda like that effect as well. At least in the cartoons. I'm not sure it would fit well with their movie's more realistic take though.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This isn't "realistic" in the sense of Nolan's Batman having realistic villains. This is still an alien with super strength who can fly. I think the only realism they're going for is how he would react psychologically to the world and how they would react to him.

So I could see heat vision either way.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if we do, I hope we get the red beams from the cartoons and Donner movies. I didn't really care for the effect in SR or Smallville where it was just waves of hot air emanating from their eyes.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely agree... although that effect might be more "realistic" I just want to see something that I remember, something that is just "cool" and makes me feel like an excited kid again.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Those are the ones I'm looking forward to as well.

I loved the heat vision from Smallville. When I saw that, I thought they finally got it right. I don't want them to go back to laser eyes after that. I prefer the naturalistic approach. There's nothing cool or nostalgic about laser eyes for me.

10. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I actually liked that and I think in the context of this movie beams from the eyes could look cartoon like if not done properly.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

naturalistic look to heat emitting from a alien's eyes, who just happens to look human... What would be natural about that... ;)

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Heating vision ok but blowing so cold to freeze things?
    That's not realistic ;)

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Trying, in any reality, to make Supes powers consistent and realistic just won't happen....

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Their actually basically canonizing the whole everyone on Krypton was apparently either a scientist or a criminal joke. :guffaw:

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Some of their version of Kal-El being unique partially comes from John Byrne's Krypton. Genetic engineering and controlled breading was a huge part of his backstory. Even Jor-El removing the birthing matrix was breaking the law and made his son unique.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I really hate the current "Image comics" style wherein every picture of Superman has to show him with "badazz" glowing red eyes. It's a modern cliche.

I have the issue. I haven't read it yet, but I glanced at the pics.

I found it more than a little disconcerting that Ma Kent didn't look much older than Lois Lane.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Today people look younger than their years. The days of older ladies looking like they did in the 1950s and 1960s is long gone. I know women in their 50s and 60s that look very nice. Diane Lane looks pretty typical of todays women her age.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the way, there has been a viral campaign going on which suggests a new trailer might be online on Sunday, April 14, 5pm PDT/8pm EDT/ midnight UK

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm a little tired of the "Super duper eldery" person comics cliche. I mean, remember how Aunt May looked like a corpse for years when she really should've only been in her 50s or something?

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Parker is a teenager, you could even go as far as early 40s if not late 30s.