Spoilers Supergirl - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 20, 2019.

1. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

:wah::wah::wah::wah::wah::wah:
    True, consistency has never been the show's strong suit. But when it's good, it's great, and it has brought me more joy than any other series in recent memory.

I'm glad the final season will be 20 episodes. More than I might have expected, given its spring debut. I hope they knock it out of the park -- season 4 quality as opposed to season 5. Bring your "A" game, showrunners. Kara, her friends and enemies, Benoist and the rest of the splendid cast, and we fans all deserve it.

2. The Realist

Melissa speaks:

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The cast is going to be picked up by other shows, and probably at least two new shows.

Alex puts on a blonde wig, and she's Power Girl? If they don't want to play off the agents a shield template with the deo.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

This news genuinely makes me sad, which hasn't happened before with the Arrowverse.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad it is ending, but I hope that it is done in such a way that Kara can continue to make appearances on other shows. I would love to see J'onn make appearances, as well as some of the others.

Scout101 likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes. I'm not crazy about the modern tendency to end a cast's adventures when the show ends. I like it when we can believe they're still out there doing good work even if we don't see them doing it. After all, Superman was active for most of the time that Supergirl was (and is) on, so why can't it be the other way around too?

7. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see no reason that Supergirl can't appear in a crossover or once a year or so. It would be a bit odd if their stories end. But I also think it's time. The writers are tired.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Benoist was very good as Supergirl, but the show around her was rarely any good (with the exception of some of the stuff with Martian manhunter, who is also really good). This show felt like it should have ended a few years ago, so six seasons is a good run for it, arguably a better run then it deserved.

9. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, glad they told them now and not 3 episodes left.
    Think it was Melissa having a kid? A 20 episode schedule is killer on time.
    I agree that not all seasons were great, even just skipped/ turned off some. But on a whole it was a good show. Good casting on supergirl and lex and lena.
    Am catching up on last season. Killed off Dean Cain without even a picture of him at his funeral.. Harsh.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    ToddKent likes this.
  10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shame, but I'm glad they got plenty of notice.

If some of the cast are willing, I'd like to see them pop up on occasion for sweeps crossovers.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am not sure but likely Dean Cain would have needed to give permission for his image to appear on the show in any way.

Melissa Benoist is definitely pregnant. It’s not clear when she is due though. Some articles speculated she might have delivered the baby already. She may have been private on when she is due but I would be surprised if she kept it secret when the baby was born. Usually celebrities release a statement when their children are born. Partially due to pride and also to control the press and prevent the rumors.

We are lucky to be getting this final season. Lois & Clark ended because Teri Hatcher got pregnant around the time filming completed for season 4. It had already gotten an early renewal for a season 5 from ABC months before that.

I was a senior in High School when all that happened and remember it clearly. I am thinking a 5th season was announced as early as January if not earlier. I found an old article that shows her pregnancy was revealed on https://www.eonline.com/news/34466/teri-hatcher-pregnant May 2 1997. There was no talk of that ending the show. But incorporating it into the show. It was not until the fall schedule was announced that it was revealed it was ending and ABC pulled it from the schedule and aired remaining episodes during the summer.

I first learned from Perry White actor Lane Smith at a Superman Celebration in Metropolis, IL 1998 that Teri decided to end the show herself. He accused her of timing the pregnancy to end the show. That her marriage to actor Jon Tenney was struggling and a way to save it. He guest stared in the final 2 episodes of season 3 but the character was recast at beginning of season 3. Lane said the two barely spoke on set, Around 10 years ago Teri wrote in her autobiography in more details. Basically if my memory is right - there was too many uncertainties in her life and wanted to focus on her daughter. Eventually they divorced.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Melissa only announced she was pregnant in March, so there's literally and biologically no way that she's already delivered her baby.

Production on Season 6 may be starting soon, but Melissa most likely won't be joining her castmates in Vancouver for a while yet.

13. The Realist

Yeah, I’m hopeful they might pop up from time to time, too. Particularly Benoist: It would be a shame if she didn’t have an occasional appearance on Superman & Lois (much like Hoechlin has on her show).

For that matter, I’d really love it if Mehcad Brooks would put in a guest appearance on S&L as Jimmy Olsen. Clark, Lois, and Jimmy should have years of history and friendship together, and though Hoechlin’s Clark interacted with Brooks on Supergirl, it was all too brief. For some reason, I feel like the actors would have decent buddy chemistry, if they ever got to explore it.

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I really hope we see the return of Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant for this final season. She was a central part of the show’s first season. It’s never felt the same since she left. The last guest appearance was the end of season 2? The main reason she left was the relocating of production to Vancouver from Hollywood. With this early decision that the show is ending hopefully it can be worked into her schedule.

N-121973 and The Realist like this.
  15. Kirk Prime

What if she was 3 or 4 months pregnant at the time she announced it?

N-121973, Scout101 and Photoman15 like this.
  16. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, lets see, its usually a month along at least before one finds out? the announcement may have been further along, so she is atleast 6-7 months along to just giving birth, but no announcement yet I believe. So there is a good chance of it being another 2-3 months before birth, and atleast another month for recovery before she can be back on set, so January?

17. Kirk Prime

That depends on the couple and how comfortable they are. There are plenty of couples that wait until the first trimester is over before making such an announcement. It's not atypical. Sometimes you don't even know yourself for the first month. But maybe that's why the season is delayed more than it has to be--to give her the time she needs.

I think given that it is the last season and that the show is called Supergirl, they should work around her pregnancy. The last thing I would want to see is altered scripts to give Supergirl a smaller role.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know about the rest of you, but most people I know tell close family after maybe 6-8 weeks, and general announcement after the first trimester. Sometimes 4th month. So let's say march was month 4...... She could have delivered by now.

As for Supergirl ending..... During what was one of the roughest times of my life I started watching this show, and it really pulled my through those times. It is for that reason that Supergirl I still watch Supergirl. Because honestly..... Somewhere during season 4 things started going downhill and season 5 wasn't really that good. I have hopes season 6 will end the show gracefully.
    I do still very much love all the characters on the show. Just, the stories being told.....

19. Kirk Prime

Sometimes in the last season, a show can recapture what made it good in the first place.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not surprised that the series is ending considering the steady ratings slide season after season, and as you say, the show was rarely good. The showrunners did not understand what an adaptation of a comic book character should be (no matter which phase of the character one thinks of) for a number of serious, sociopolitical reasons covered in the TrekBBS threads and just about anywhere else.