Spoilers Supergirl - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 12, 2016.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sounds amusing.

Thanks.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did the same thing with Vartox which I found annoying myself.

I enjoy the show but let's face it, it's a very Lifetime/Hallmark take on a superhero show, I'm not sure it's ever going to transcend that.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure what that means. But I've been watching TV adaptations of superheroes for more than 40 years now, and I have never seen any live-action superhero shows that captured comic book-style storytelling as well as Supergirl, The Flash, and the other CW/Berlanti shows do. Naturally they gear the stories toward a more general TV audience as well, but so has every other live-action superhero show. Yet none of the others have come as close to the comics. Partly it's the use of digital effects to create comics-style action sequences of a kind that weren't really feasible on live-action TV as recently as a few years ago, and partly it's the fact that they have four shows in a shared continuity, allowing the kind of cross-pollination and casual crossovers that are a staple of comic-book universes. But largely it's a function of how much the writers love the comics, and of the fact that there's so much overlap these days between comics writers and TV producers/directors (e.g. Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns, Kevin Smith, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on Riverdale, Jeph Loeb at Marvel, etc.).

4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a lovely Valentines' episode, they got some mileage out of the Superman suit and the Parasite CGI model, and they even threw in the good old Keaton's Batman reference in there :techman:

He could have gotten out at any point, he wasn't in any danger, only she was. So betting on him voluntarily banishing himself just to save her would have been a higher risk than tricking him into believing he's won.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll admit that my hatred of Season 1 did have me ragging on the show in this thread before the show started. but, once it aired and I saw the first episode, I praised it. Since then the few posts I've made about specific episodes have been mostly complimentary, outside of me complaining about Snapper being an a-hole. I don't usually comment on the individual episodes of this thread, although admittedly the episode before this one with the Luthors was mediocre and this one was bad.

But, if you want some positivity:

Yeah, I have one or two little things I complain about in episode 3, but those are all very positive posts. After episode three, I didn't post about another episode until last week's episode. But, to be clear, I liked most of what we saw between Episode 3 and the Luthor's episode, I just didn't end up posting about it. So, since I decided to give Season 2 a chance, I've liked most of the episodes but because I didn't bother to post for awhile I am three good reviews to two bad reviews in this thread, but that doesn't accurately show my general opinion on the show. It just means SG had a couple of episodes I didn't like back to back, but even good shows can have that sometimes.

So, while Supergirl has ruined Mxy and Starhaven, that's not show breaking for me. For comparison, Flash ruined Atom Smasher and Doctor Light, and Legends of Tomorrow did the worst version of the JSA they probably could have, but I still like those shows. Heck, what LoT did to the JSA is probably worse then what Supergirl did to Mxy and Starhaven, but it didn't ruin that show for me. The DCCW Tv shows are still the best live superhero tv shows, but they're not perfect, which is to be expected. I'll complain about BS in the shows, but it takes a lot to ruin a show. Heck, Arrow Season 4 was horrible and made me drop the season about 3-5 episodes in, but Season 5 has won me back so even if a show has a bad season its not necessarily a permanent situation. So, yeah, I called out Supergirl on some BS. I can't thing of any TV show that doesn't have a few episodes that piss me off, even if I generally like or even love the show. I can like Supergirl but still have issues with it from time to time.

6. Christopher

What was the reference?

7. dahj

^^
    Supergirl says "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!" before activating the self-destruct.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would not say that Supergirl ruined Mxy but it certainly portrayed the character in a radically different way than what I would have wanted.

Noname Given likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That has been referenced a lot lately. Adam West also said those lines in the animated Batman Return of the Caped Crusaders. Was it also in the Lego Batman Movie? So many different references to earlier versions of Batman in that I lost track!

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yep, that was a fun slice of Silver Age goodness.

Bring on Streaky the Super-Cat!

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I apologize for accusing you of being overly negative and never having anything positive to say about the series.

As for my own opinions regarding the series (to address another poster's response), I'm critical of the show when I feel like I have reason to be, but do have an overall positive view of the series because I feel like the series has earned that response from me with the way it has, on the whole, handled its characters and its reverence to the comics.

I also feel the same way, on, the whole, about Arrow, The Flash, and Legends, even though there have been more occasions this season on those series where I've felt criticism was warranted than there have been on Supergirl.

12. dahj

I wouldn't really describe Maggie as butch, she seems very feminine to me. :shrug:
    Not quite sure why you're getting that impression, women have been wearing pants for a long time now :p

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the Mxy episode a great deal.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't the fact that it's on CW kind of tell you what to expect with these shows though. It doesn't really bother me that much (other than it feels like Mon-El sometimes hogs the screen time) and I find Sanvers to be kind of adorable. For a Valentine's Day episode, especially being a little weary about finding out it was going to be Sanvers focused, it was pretty low key and made me smile.

We saw some things in last nights episode that was impressive, like the fortress of solitude scene and the glass statues. We also saw what looked like a homage to Star Trek's squire of gothos. Tonight on Flash we're going to Gorilla City. If that means giving the show a bit of a hallmark feel because of the demographic that watches the channel, I'm perfectly fine with that.

15. Christopher

I noticed the resonance in the mention of the Hamilton-Burr duel, but it may have been strictly inspired by the current popularity of the musical Hamilton, given that the scene took place in a theater (which, by the way, was a stunningly gorgeous location).

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw that too but I more resonate with Trek so that's why I mentioned it. It was a gorgeous set location though.

That whole scene was well done.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Mxy was a lot of fun.

18. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

That was the same opera house used in BSG.

N-121973 and SAndrews10 like this.
  19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am not sure if it was intentional but Mxy's costume in the duel was similar to what Howie Mandel wore as the character in Lois & Clark.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I think that's a minority opinion where Q is concerned. My impression has always been that Q is very popular with Trekkies. My own Q novels are still probably my best-selling books, even after all these years, and I'm humble enough to admit that it's the continuing appeal of the character that keeps selling those books, year after year. And I'm still kinda puzzled as to why they never included in him in any of the TNG movies since he was probably their second-most popular antagonist after the Borg.

He's a lot of fun to boot. DeLancie brought a welcome degree of snark that contrasted nicely with the general earnestness of Picard and his crew. (I always enjoyed writing Q's dialogue, especially when he was taking the piss out of Riker or whomever.)

And Q had a pretty good track record on the show overall: "Tapestry," "Q Who?," "All Good Things," etc. Those were all good episodes.

Granted, he was a bit more problematic on VOYAGER since they had to keep ducking the issue of why he couldn't just whisk Voyager home in a blink, but DeLancie was always entertaining anyway. (He was also perfectly cast as the Devil on an episode of THE LIBRARIANS.)

But I digress. Back to SUPERGIRL . . . .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017