Stuff that make you wonder but not own thread worthy

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought... Picard has a fish and Data has a cat. What pets would the other Ncc1701D crew (and others) have?
    Lwaxana Troi - Some small, yappy breed of dog that she would obnoxiously dote on.
    Deanna - A cat bigger than her mother's dog, who would terrorize it, causing Lwaxana to get upset at her daughter.
    Alexander - A ferret, mainly to annoy Worf.
    Worf - A targ. Maybe it would eat Alexander's ferret. Or maybe it would eat Alexander instead.
    Beverly Crusher - Golden Retriever. She just seems the type.
    Geordi - A floppy eared mutt with big soulful brown eyes. Just the thing to cheer you up after you get friendzoned for the 147th time.
    Guinan - Something colorful, exotic, and alien that requires sophisticated puppetry or CGI.
    Riker - A parakeet. I couldn't think of a suitable animal for him, so I went with something off the wall. Someone has to defy expectations.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently, O'Brien has a spider on the Enterprise

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

And later a cat. But that happens on DS9.

4. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Gross.

5. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I was just thinking of this for "Descent Part 2" but they need to go back to the planet and beam some people up and the Borg ship is there so they go to the opposite side of the planet and then it catches up to them while in orbit. Why not just keep circling the planet at the same speed as the Borg ship so it's always on the other side of the planet to them? The transporter range is 40000 kms in the Tech manual. That's bigger than the planet probably. Even if it's something like they can't beam up because all the planet's in the way, just circle back and when you have line of sight, go again. I do hate the plot mechanism to get Crusher in the centre seat though, even if I love the idea of Captain Crusher. Most of the crew went down to look for one crew member? Just send some probes you stooges.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  6. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Which one?

7. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A morsel of future history. The European Hegemony, mentioned in Up the Long Ladder as being a loose alliance of several European states formed in the early 22nd century, and, according to Picard 'the first stirrings of world government'. Makes me wonder what was different about it than the current EU (which you could also characterise as an alliance and perhaps not even that loose) that it was considered as such.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  8. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

That rescue mission is kind of weird. Picard goes after the Borg with a ship full of people including civilians. Time was a part of the puzzle, it would be easier to find Data sooner that later. However, Locutus said in TBOBW 2 something like: "Incorrect strategy number one. To risk your ship for one man. Picard would have never approved."
    Picard just had to go to join an away team? Probably because he and Lore were about to have interesting discussions. Crusher could have been with that away team? Well, that's how it was written and he wanted to go so he went.
    Also, they were on the other side of the planet hiding. What about the moment before they went into orbit, wouldn't the Borg notice them coming towards the planet? I haven't watched these episodes in many years, mostly because of this weirdness, I might remember something wrong, oooops. It's an entertaining adventure but with too many questions.

somebuddyX likes this.
  9. Ragitsu

In a confined environment? Pretty much all of them.

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Just saw yet another "Archer committed genocide in 'Dear Doctor'" remark. He actually did not. Genocide is an active attempt to destroy a race or culture. Archer didn't actively destroy the Velakians. He simply didn't save them (due to a weird interpretation of the process of evolution). Not saying that was a good thing, but it wasn't genocide, either.

Farscape One and trekshark like this.
  11. Ragitsu

<Batman Begins moment>

trekshark and somebuddyX like this.
  12. Mojochi

I think I'd be ok with Livingston in a closed system environment like a spaceship, as he has his own little self-contained environment but yeah, dogs & cats, & dander, & hair & whatever roaming about areas of the ship? I'm not down with that either. Blech

Ragitsu likes this.
  13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Riker did say the ship cleans itself.

14. Ragitsu

I don't think there's any technology strong enough to handle the monstrosity known as beast odor.

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

If it can pick up a human being, digitize them, move them 40,000 km, and deposit them on a planetary surface without even missing their hair, I expect it can handle even pet dander.

16. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the most "realistic" solution for the "it cleans itself" thing would be to introduce little cleaning bots to Star Trek who do all the icky tasks they claim no human is forced to do in the future.
    Of course, even if they had thought of that when TNG was produced, it would probably have been too costly for a TV show especially for such little gain.
    Other than that...maybe there's some non-lethal version of that field or energy wave or whatever it was in Starship Mine that just gets rid of waste matter.

somebuddyX likes this.
  17. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Farpoint is at Deneb IV which background info at Memory Alpha (and isn't canon I guess) says is 3320 light years from Earth. Real Deneb is 2620 light years from Earth. It just makes me wonder how long the Enterprise took to get there from the launch from McKinley Station in "All Good Things" to arriving there in "Encounter at Farpoint." I would have said years but was it months? Or it's a different Deneb?
    Also Kirk apparently went to Deneb IV once with Gary Mitchell and had a telepathic conversation with a female inhabitant. I love the image of Kirk and Gary walking around the old Bandi city where the TNG crew would turn up over a 100 years later.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  18. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

he does. He lets it crawl on Barclay in an episode

Mojochi likes this.
  19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought... a ship crewed by the most annoying character on each series.
    Admiral (recurring): Edward Jellico (TNG)
    Captain: Archer (ENT)
    First Officer: Chekov (TOS)
    Weapons Officer: Tal (PRO)
    Operations: Wesley (TNG)
    Head of Security: Neelix (VOY)
    Doctor: Julian Bashir (DS9)
    Helm: Mariner (LD)
    Any thoughts on who else? I don't remember the other series having manifestly annoying characters, but I haven't seen all of DIS.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  20. Mojochi

^You could probably throw Chekov in there for balance lol

Oddish likes this.