Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude is in his 50s!?!?

Looks fantastic.
    What did he say?

JRob94 likes this.
  2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

He is trending because he said the term genocide gets bandied around.

Edit: I’m sorry for bringing drama from another web service here but need someone levelheaded to tell me everything is fine.

JRob94 likes this.
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Context?

JRob94 and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1789445287376757236

Don't have a Twitter/X account myself, just Googled 'Anson Mount Genocide comment' - and that was the Twitter/X post by him that came up. Don't know the context of the conversation in which he posted it. Don't want and neve will make a Twitter/X account myself.

JRob94 and Markonian like this.
  5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok. I'm sure something will be made over it and then forgotten.
    A friend of mine and I, who are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, have been debating on this. He and I agree that the biggest danger is simply the fact that terms get thrown out, catch on as buzz words, and then people get mad at others for simply disagreeing over the terms.

Ultimately, and most frustratingly, there is little room for civil discourse.

Cr0sis21, JRob94, Victoria and 2 others like this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

JRob94, comsol and cooleddie74 like this.
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's not so much a "discussion" as a vociferous bunch over there with their heads up their asses thinking they can get him canceled.

There's no reason it should affect SNW, no. Cancel culture has lost a lot of its cultural punch in the last couple of years. And there's not a trend in the U.S. right now to humor this particular strain of political melodrama. If anything, it's going the opposite way.

Yes, the term "genocide" gets bandied around too much now. So does "fascist." Neither really works.

Nor do I.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

There is no such thing as cancel culture. It’s a consequence culture. Actions have consequences and sometimes people of influence cannot escape the consequences anymore.

In this specific instance, I’m glad to see the consensus is that the discussion on Twitter is blown out of proportion and that I need not worry about SNW.

JRob94 likes this.
  10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wheeeeeee!

11. Serveaux

No, there very much is such a thing on social media, and it's not about consequences. It's about the behavior of mobs when shielded from consequences.

It cuts across ideological lines, because it's not really about political or social ideology or right and wrong at all - it's about the visceral thrill that a certain kind of person gets from standing in a cheering circle and kicking someone trapped in the middle.

And it's passed its peak.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  12. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

This is not Roseanne-level by any stretch of the imagination.

13. Serveaux

Well, no. They're going to gnash their teeth for a few days and then go find someone else to try to intimidate.

Maybe he'll walk it back, in which case some will grudgingly subside but a fair number will simply demand more. So what? The target can never be abject enough before the mob's scorn to satisfy everyone.

JRob94 and Tiran O'Saurus like this.
  14. NX_01

NX_01 Ensign Red Shirt

One can only hope.

From what I observed of the Trek community on Twitter in the last months, is that a certain vocal subset has an issue with diverse opinions to political and cultural topics.

Most recently the Prodigy S2 situation came to my mind, were some people thought they could say anything from the imagined moral high ground.

15. Tallguy

No, Barr was drunk and stupid. (And in the morning was still stupid, as the line goes.) Mount has actually given given this thought.

If you're on the other side of this particular argument I would think Mount's positions would be MORE consequential for that reason. But that's not how this all works. Barr (to go with the example) was seen as more of a liability than an asset (and I suppose that turned out to be true since The Connors is still on) and I'm sure nobody is thinking Strange New Worlds could be a great show if only they didn't have to put up with Mount.

(Someone posted on X that Mount is siding with the Cardassians. I could have sworn the Bajorans were Star Trek's Space Jews. Other than the Ferengi, of course.)

Who said what now?

16. Tallguy

.... Sry. Editing incompetence.

17. Serveaux

Paramount would have a very hard time justifying chastising Mount on the basis of these statements to the vast majority of people who pay any attention.

Sometimes the mob overplays their hand.

Tallguy likes this.
  18. Serveaux

/jk

19. Serveaux

Yep, depends on the joints. I run a few miles a week at 70, bit I've been blessed with generally good health and overall fitness most of my life despite being a lazyass.

Also, Mount's a guy. "Your running days are over" may be his take-away from the doctor saying "Keep it under five miles a day." :lol:

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  20. Tallguy

I think so. But I'm often very wrong / totally baffled by these things.

Commander Troi likes this.