Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by pst, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

3. Tuskin38

Bill has another ship of the Shangri-La class at NCC-2592, maybe it was just a mistake from incrementing up one number for the Titan?

Normally I don't name my ships after existing ones in Trek Lore, but I thought that was too good to pass up. I got a kick out the Stargazer's registry.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Markonian likes this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I dropped STO some 10 years ago cause missions were suddenly not available anymore before you could even finish them, and what was available consisted of 2 h of repetitive slow space fights... followed by 2 h of repetitive ground fights... rinse and repeat :D

5. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the NuTitan needed a "THICC-er" neck, like the Excelsior class.

It's current neck is too scrawny as a logical progression.

Everything else seems largely fine.

I would love for them to mix in Ball Turrets & Phaser Arrays.

There's no reason why you can't have both types of weapons installed.

TedShatner10 and Markonian like this.
  6. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

So one could argue PIC isn‘t part of the TNG/LD continuity. SCNR ;-)

7. Tuskin38

No

8. Aeronnaex

Aeronnaex Lieutenant Red Shirt

That’s an oversimplification. There are other criteria that define a successful project than number of flights. Could be overall cost per flight hour, cost of upkeep, reliability. One could even argue that losing two shuttles constituted failure. We’ll never know what criteria they used internally, even though they will always tell us it was successful.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

He was just making a joke.

saddestmoon and Spike730 like this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Don't feel bad. After I saw First Contact at the theater, I was so convinced that the E-E had a round saucer that I was pissed when AMT "got it so effin' wrong" on the model.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  11. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Part of the Galaxy class design which works to make the ship look bigger on screen is the eye sees the elliptical saucer and perceives it as circular and in perspective

12. NCC-73515

It's quite simple: The STS was supposed to carry stuff to earth orbit. It never meant to go to the moon.
    Apollo and Artemis are supposed to go to the moon. They were not meant to carry stuff to earth orbit.
    All of them "worked out" for the purpose they were designed for.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  13. Vale

Vale Guest

The other thing to consider about the Galaxy-class is how much volume all those convex curves take up compared to the skeletally thin Constitution-class. The Enterprise-D might be just over twice the length of the original 1701, but if you use a 3D model to figure out her real volume she's ~27.5 times the volume of Kirk's ship (~5,821,000m³ vs ~211,000m³). In fact each one of the Galaxy-class's nacelles has a larger volume than an entire TOS-configuration Constitution-class.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I think that’s something a lot of people don’t understand. Even the Enterprise-E, which is a a few meters longer than the Enterprise-D, really only has about half the volume of the latter ship. Ergo, the E is actually a much smaller ship than its predecessor.

15. Tuskin38

Markonian, David cgc and 137th Gebirg like this.
  16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Glad they decided to put more work into the design rather than having it just be a blatant kitbash of Sovereign parts.

17. NCC-73515

(The opening might trigger certain people. Keep in mind it's not me saying this, and reach out to them if you wanna tell them to stop saying things) ;) :p

18. Tuskin38

You could have just have easily said nothing.
    Why do you keep provoking them?

19. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

having it be a kitbash of Sovereign parts would have kept the tradition of the Constellation being a kitbash of Connie Refit parts though.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That wasn't so much 'tradition' as it was 'necessity.' At the time Rick Sternbach built that yellow desktop model in Picard's ready room, the only available Federation starship model kits were the TOS Enterprise and the TMP Enterprise. The former being too old for a believable pre-TMP era ship, he used parts from the latter kit. And keep in mind that that yellow model wasn't originally meant to be the Stargazer, as the producers were planning on reusing the TMP Enterprise-A for it. The yellow model was just meant to be background set dressing until someone got the idea to base a new filming model on that desktop version.

saddestmoon and Ronald Held like this.