Starship design history in light of Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Nov 18, 2017.

1. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Well that is not really difficult is It? :)

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'll defend the Shepard-class to my last breath, but yeah. Some of those are just hideous.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard ILM lost the meshes for the 2009 background ships:rolleyes:. Hence Eaglemoss' USS Kobayahi Maru having very different proportions and paintwork, based on an early concept CG that survived.

I'd hazard that Tobias Richter's Newton, Mayflower, Armstrong etc models are close enough for satisfying Eaglemoss models.

137th Gebirg and saddestmoon like this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

:wah:

Timo Saloniemi

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I remember hearing about this as well. I think I also remember losing my shit when I did, wondering if any of those people ever heard of making backups of their work on CD/DVD/BRD/tape/whatever. No excuse in this day and age not to take that extra relatively simple step to ensure something like that isn’t lost forever, if not for the single purpose of continuity in future projects. Fucking amateurs, if true. ILM should have known better.

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I have Richter’s pics of those ships. The only thing I think he got wrong was that he gave the Mayflower a Reliant-style weapons pod when the actual ship didn’t have one (He was probably basing his model on that inaccurate artwork someone posted earlier.)

137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Beautiful.

saddestmoon likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Tomorrow Never Knows Premium Member

How exactly does one lose something like that?

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are small things that may hint at bigger goofs, too: the nacelles of the Newton are upside down, say. That is, the surface detail on them is, particularly the blue-glowing "field windows".

It's too bad that we'll never know now: we can't take Richter's art and measure pixel by pixel how long exactly a specific ship might have been, or how tall the portholes really were, or how exactly (or whether) the shuttlebay interior of the Kelvin actually worked with the sets or the exterior.

Doesn't mean the ships wouldn't be pretty to look at. And odds are that there never was much detail or intent or, say, easter eggs beyond what we can see in the movies and in Richter's art. But there's hours if not years of fun to be had dissecting the imperfections of the TOS model, and we can't do that with the 2009 ships now.

Timo Saloniemi

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Richter did the best he could with the material available. What’s more disturbing is the carelessness of the loss of the original CGI meshes.

saddestmoon likes this.
  11. fireproof78

Hard drive crashes, data corruption, transferring of servers that goes poorly. These are usually fairly large files, which means transferring them doesn't always go perfectly.

Ronald Held likes this.
  12. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Commodore Commodore

If a fan hadn't taken them, all the Alien models would've been destroyed. I remember seeing a picture of a dumpster full of phasers and other props from TUC in a behind the scenes book. It apparently was/is normal procedure to destroy things after production has finished.

13. fireproof78

Yes, it is. Even in the Prequels the entire Jedi Council set was struck after filming of Episode 1, so most of Episode 2 council shots were recreated digitally.

Space is a premium in Hollywood and there is not the same type of sentimentality with these things as among fans.

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

All of which could be mitigated through best-practices backup techniques. This was just damn careless and sloppy work.

saddestmoon likes this.
  16. fireproof78

I didn't say it wasn't.

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And now I am in mind of the old Smarties candy-promotion jingle. Back before Nestlé bought that brand and the rest of the Rowntree line. :-)

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As for the loss of those digital models for the 11th movie fleet ships?
    That's horrific news.

publiusr and King Daniel Beyond like this.