"Stars" of the show

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Sophie74656, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

That's a different matter. Talking to the producers is absolutely something they should do, and some of them did. Roxann Dawson and Robert Picardo talked about going to the producers many times to discuss their characters and their growth and such and look at the characters. They both had a tremendous amount of development and many great episodes devoted to them.

If after the show was over the actors came out and discussed some bad situations that happened, I can understand that. What I find in poor taste is still being on the show and trashing it, or being at a convention and trashing the show.

In the professional world (I can only speak for where I live of course) you do not bad mouth your employer if you want to continue to be employed. The first thing you are told for a job interview is to never speak ill of your former employer, even if there was a bad situation.

2. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Don't speak of ill of your former employer publicly or if you need a reference. If your retired you speak about whomever it whatever way you desire.

Beltran trashing the show at a convention is poor taste the fans come to get autographs, ask questions, take pictures and so on. No it's not in poor taste it's rude, unprofessional, and down right mean.

Sophie74656 likes this.
  3. Sophie74656

Agreed. I've never been a fan of him as a guest. He makes jokes that are in poor taste and sometimes comes off as a jerk...in my opinion

4. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Noooo!!! Not true!!. I`ve met him twice and can honestly say, that he`s very kind and nice to fans. Sometimes he`s a little bit sarcastic, but I`ve never seen or heard him being rude to fans.He`s shaking hands, smiling, signing all things the fans are bringing to him and he`s very entertaining and humorous in the panels. And honest. I liked him before, but liked him more after meeting him.
    He`s been at last year`s German Fedcon. Every year the fans are ask to vote for their fav guest. This is the list from last year:

Wer war euer Lieblingsstargast auf der FedCon 25 ?
    (Who`s been your fav guest at Fedcon 25 /2016?) (RB got more votes than Shatner and Urban)!! Every fan had the option to name three guests.
    1. Marina Sirtis 55%
    2. George Takei 32%
    3.Terry Farrell 29%
    4. Robert Beltran 27%
    5. Karl Urban 22%
    6.William Shatner 19%
    7. Ethan Phillips 18%
    8.Walter Koenig 15%
    9. Connor Trinneer 14%
    10.Dominic Keating 9% ...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good to see Trinneer on that list...That guy's so cool.

Who is Karl Urban? Do you mean Keith Urban?

6. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Abrams-verse McCoy

7. Sophie74656

No surprise that Marina Sirtis is on the top, she is the best guest ever!

8. Prax

"Ahh, I see" said the blind man(as he picked up his hammer and saw.)

I'm an idiot

9. Sophie74656

I think they make a good amount of money per appearance (well what I would consider good). I had a conversation with someone who used to organize large sci fi conventions. Depending on the con, the actor buys a table space at the con and then they can do whatever they want. They can sell their autographs for whatever price they want. Some other cons just give the actor an appearance fee and as part of that contract they have to sign autographs. I may be remembering incorrectly but I remember hearing that Shatner's appearance fee was $70,000 for a Creation convention.

I've been to a lot of conventions and I always wonder how much fun it is for the actors. It SEEMS like they are having a lot of fun, and they certainly are getting paid very well for a single weekend.

10. Sophie74656

not if you wanted to work again you wouldn't. Badmouthing your former employer, even if they were in the wrong supposedly, is one of the worst things you can do.

If you notice, the people who continue to actively work, like Roxann Dawson, Kate Mulgrew, Bob Picardo, Robbie McNeil, are people who NEVER had anything publicly bad to say about the show or their fellow actors. Sure they might have felt negative feelings or have had bad situations but they act professionally and are work a lot.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Line counts don't reflect character development. Any situation where things are being discussed and explained will give lines to anyone in the room.

Probably why Neelix came in last, he is least often in the room. Probably had same effect on Geordi.

12. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would Beltran and Wang have been "blacklisted"?! Just a little...:rommie:

Just look Wang's filmgraphy after 2001. Except some apparitions in series B'sproductions, ST: Voyager seems to have been his only long and big committent.
    As for Beltran, well, he has never had a role of importance later anymore. Same in theater plays while yet it is his specialty.
    Again, although I can understand their frustration (although producers & script writers have been rather magnanimous/generous in offering them some pretty good episodes in S5 to S7), I can't forgive their lack of professionalism. Maybe in the future, instead of shifting the onus on people they work with (producers, directors and worst, colleagues).

I notice that generally, actors/actresses considered "difficult" (not necessarly because they are mean, but known because of their lack of professionnalism or indiscipline) end to be sidelined more or less ease (and more or less quickly) depending on their popularity in fandoms and the popularity of the show/movie. However, it follows a very long time in the wilderness. Some actors/actresses had to even quit definitively or temporarely the showbusiness.
    ex: David Caruso, Thomas Gibson, Jan-Vincent Michael, etc...mention but three examples. It's regrettable because some of actors/actresses sidelined are really good.

However, those who decided to quit a production because they felt not being on the same boat anymore or were aware of their weaknessess will find some others professional commitments elsewhere quite quickly. Of course, they would have put the production in great embarassement but with the benefit of hindsight, have done a great service for the production and the broadcast in allowing them to "reinvent" the concept/characters of their show. Result: there won't be any damage for actors/actresses concerned and their carriers ... at least, not on a long not on a long term
    ex: Geneviève Bujold, Mandy Patinkin, Paget Brewster...

13. Sophie74656

I don't know if their attitudes are any cause of their lack of employment. It is rather common after being on a show for a full run that many actors don't have as much work after.

There are many actors that are labeled as "difficult" who still work very regularly.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We are in a golden era of sci fi-esque shows and a lot of Trek alumni have popped up as guest stars, including KM and Jeri Ryan. They could have slipped Harry in there somewhere, he still looks good and was never a bad actor and yet.. nada.

15. Voth commando1

I imagine for some it is fun, and others just a way to collect an extra paycheck.

16. SevenJetC

SevenJetC Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think that Beltran is not really that much into acting anymore, I know he has been writing poetry, got married, had a child? I'd say he semi-retired after Big Love? I know he once said that he tried to get out of the Voyager contract by asking for a ridiculous amount of money and they gave him the money. Basically, he was making stuff up and they always agreed. I guess it made it hard not to sign on to continue after that all. Probably similar situation Mulgrew had with Mrs. Columbo. I think he himself later admitted it was a sweet deal - getting paid a lot of money for mostly just sitting there and saying "yes, captain". He got himself into vicious circle of his own creation by complaining about the scripts he was given and refusing to learn his lines and then being surprised that his character was reduced to exactly just sitting there.
    As for Wang, he is always whining about how his character never got promoted or had at least a little big of luck in dating. I guess that exactly this whining is what made it such a fun for producers to have Harry experiencing a string of wrong crushes :)
    I have personally always found the EMH a bit annoying, so it seems to me that he was around a lot and lot and lot. Guess it is not exactly true, but it certainly did feel that way.

17. Prax

There's that line of dialogue "I dont see a little box on MY chair"

The EMH mostly annoyed me when he would make really bad decisions, and get a slap on the wrist for it. Like that time he impersonated various crew members INCLUDING the captain, and stole the warp core, stranding them, and against the captain's orders. The doctor says something to the effect of "The crew can survive without a warp core but not their captain" Huh?! And janeway's just like "All's well that ends well."

Just imagine if Harry Kim did all that. He'd spend the rest of the journey in a brig, no longer even an ensign.

18. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

In the same time, William Shatner is famous to be VERY unpleasant towards his castmates & fans. So this maybe explains that! :lol:

19. Voth commando1

If Beltran was so dissatisfied then he probably should have gotten out at season 3 or six.

20. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

In any case, there is a star whom we often forget to mention, it is the vessel USS Voyager, because infatiguable, indestructible, no problem of ego... and what a majesty (or awesome model) ! :techman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]