Stargirl Season 2 - Discussion ( Spoiler Warning)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FPAlpha, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think her dossier said "Injustice Unlimited."

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, OK I missed that.

3. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it, though it certainly felt like a first part rather than a self contained episode. I think Brec Bassinger does a great job as Courtney and makes her likable even when the character is being a bit dumb.

Looking forward to many scenes of Cindy being deliciously evil.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping the move to a CW budget won't effect the series too negatively but on a network that can only afford to have Nick Zano Steel-up a couple of times a season I remain to be convinced. I did notice we only got one real FX/Action sequence in the first episode though.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I was under the impression that HBO MAX was partly contributing to the budget of this show similar to Superman and Lois.

The budget problems with Nick as Steel was extremely shortsightedness by the producers. He could have easily been made a cyborg a la the Six Million Man. Where only occasionally we saw his inter concealed bionics. Perhaps with a upgrade to metallic skin for rare emergency situations. Either shortsighted or hoping fans would get hooked on the character early on and not care about the lack of powers later. Instead it just looks cheap.

6. Christopher

I'm not sure budget is really the issue, given that The Flash and Supergirl frequently have lengthy (by TV standards), extended action sequences with fully CGI character models. Just about any time you see the Flash running through the city streets or getting knocked around by a bad guy, or any time you see Supergirl or Superman in an aerial dogfight with a flying villain, they're fully digital except in close-ups. Legends could probably do the same if it wanted to, but its writing staff just isn't as interested in the superhero stuff.

7. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

My wife and I were happy with the show and were waiting for season 2. :) Like most of us, we needed a recap: "who's Cameron" was a question we both had, too. We noticed all the younger actors physically aging up a year, some with new hair cuts. This season, I see Courtney learning the lesson of balance in superhero vs. normal life style. Maybe?

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I know! Courtney's little brother, in particular, seems to have had a growth spurt.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I remember Nick Zano himself saying in an interview the reason we see so little of him with metallic skin is that it’s a very expensive super power.

10. Christopher

Actors are employees, not bosses. How often do employees of a large company really know the reasons for their superiors' decisions, as opposed to hearsay and speculation? I'll believe it if I hear it from a producer or a VFX supervisor.

I repeat: several other Arroweverse shows are frequently able to afford doing elaborate action scenes with multiple pure-CGI characters fighting each other. That hard evidence outweighs one person's hearsay assertion. The only way Zano's claim would be credible is if Legends has a far tinier FX budget than The Flash or Supergirl.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoy this show, but was left a little lost in places as well. I will need to rewatch the last couple episodes of season one or do some internet reading before next week. Somebody mentioned up thread that Starman appeared at the end of the final season one episode--which I don't remember at all. What I remember was the Eclipso reveal.

Also, this is the first time I have head Per Degaton's name said aloud and I realized that I have been pronouncing it in my head (and probably a couple of conversations) my entire life.

12. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I think she's also looking for a new host for Eclipso, but I could be wrong.

I know Courtney is reckless. So is Rick. I hope to see them deal with that too, as well as poor Yolanda's guilt. Beth's parents are horrible and don't deserve her.

Anyone else think Solomon Grundy is hiding in the woods? :hugegrin:

13. Christopher

That seemed pretty self-evident.

14. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Hence the emoticon. :hugegrin:

Now that Jade has shown up, I wonder if they'll do something like they did in the Infinity Inc. comic. Grundy liked Jade for some reason and was "good" for a bit.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Which was the name of the ISW successor group in Infinity Inc. I wonder if they'll bring in the Harlequin. ;)

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I double checked, and season one ended soon before Christmas. The school year in Nebraska ends in late May (give or take depending on the district). So we can estimate a five to five and a half month gap for the characters before the two seasons.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Henoch and Commander Troi like this.
  17. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The season 2 opener just popped up on Amazon Prime today. Put that revenue against the show's production costs, I think they're doing ok.

I'm impressed by how Rick/Hourman is approaching Solomon Grundy. I hope Rick's grown a bit and truly reaching out, not trying to lure Grundy out to finish him off. It would be nice to see at least one of the team maturing and growing.

Courtney remains reckless, stubborn, and obsessed with being Stargirl. I remember from the first episode she was a gymnast (apparently a skillful one) and there was a picture pinned to her cork board of her at a Karate tournament wearing a gi and black belt. I would have thought she'd have developed a little more self-esteem, discipline, and personal identity. She comes across as needing Stargirl to give her everything, when really she already has it inside her. If she fails all her classes I wonder how she'll feed herself when she grows up.

The first season I really hated Beth/Dr. Midnight. In terms of recklessness she was Courtney squared. The opener showed her as more of a person. The (non) relationship with her parents was evident in the first season but just a side-show. Now it's really opened up and I'm feeling a lot more sympathetic towards her. I also liked seeing her trying to reboot the McNider AI. Last season it seemed like anyone could have picked up the glasses and it just happened to be her. Now there's a sign she will actually get into what Dr. Midnight really is.

Yolanda/Wildcat was my favorite character last season. We see her fierce in the gym hammering the heavy bag to let out the emotions she felt about the slut-shaming, her ex, her family. Of them all she had best of reasons to become Wildcat, and she was likeable. I don't actually remember her killing Brainwave. Did she? I'll have to re-watch. Seems like the guilt she's going through will make her the perfect Eclipso target.

Dugan remains Dugan, likeable and rock-solid dependable. His new friend Zeek was adorable, getting right into the robot without question, already with ideas for upgrades.

Wonder what Cindy's plans for Mike are?

Was that Pemberton looking the guy with the stripes?

Commander Troi and Henoch like this.
  18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You’re right. Didn’t think the UK would get it so soon.
    Still waiting for Lower Decks

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Was that a ring on her finger? I'm wondering if this season will be a Jade origin story.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does she have another battery?

0r did she only just get the ring?

I can see that she left her battery at the JSA Lair, and only charged the ring now and then, so a year since she'd last charged it, some ####er had stole it.