Stargate

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bajorangirl, Aug 10, 2018.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

He’s looking old now.

2. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well its been 10 years.

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I just found this thread.

I am a big STARGATE fan, really loved SG-1 and ATLANTIS, and goy really into SGU in its 2nd season... the first seasonbeing better on a rewatch.

El Rey network plays SG-1 and SGA Monday-Friday mornings, 8-12.

In fact, I just finished watching "THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS". It occured to me... when they started having the Prometheus and Daedalus class ships around, why didn't they ever try to go to that planet to see for sure if that repository was gone?

FanST likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

At that point they had access to Atlantis and its database which likely had a copy of the stuff at the repository.

5. Farscape One

They got the Prometheus quite a while before finding a ZPM, the Antarctic chair, or Atlantis.

FanST likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Comet also rotates between the three, they show one at a time and switch series every now and then.

7. Farscape One

I am not aware of that channel. Is it on U-Verse?

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If not then the Asgard core onboard the Odyssey certainly had all of that and more. And maybe they went back to that planet anyway and found it was indeed gone...or maybe they were able to salvage something. Either way, there's not much of a story to tell there. I mean it's not like the shows are a complete chronology of *every* mission and project ever attempted.

The Wormhole likes this.
  9. The Wormhole

And it didn't work. On its first official mission the Prometheus's hyperdrive broke down, was ejected and blown up, stranding the ship on the planet P3X-744 for several months. Finally in the season 7 episode Grace we see the Prometheus proceed home using the hyperdrive from a captured Goa'uld Al'kesh (obtained by Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c in the episode Avenger 2.0). Presumably when the Prometheus returned to Earth it finished up its repairs, as it was not seen in action again until Lost City when General Hammond took command in response to the arrival of an invasion fleet led by Goa'uld System Lord Anubis, the very same mission in which ZPMs and the Antarctic outpost and chair are discovered.

By season 8 the Prometheus does enter service as a working starship, but is for the most kept in the Sol system, with the exception of the episode Prometheus Unbound in which the ship launches a mission to Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy, which gets sidetracked and ultimately cancelled. It is not until season 9 that the Prometheus begins engaging in regular missions outside of the Sol system, and at this point the SGC had established contact with the Atlantis Expedition as well as limited ability to ferry people back and fourth. The city had its own ZPM allowing people to use the Stargate to reach Earth, but had to rely on ships to get to Atlantis.

With access to an Ancient City Ship, as well as relations with one of the Four Races represented on Heliopolis who eventually give humanity a complete database of their own, there really was no need to go to a planet and confirm if a crumbling building had indeed dropped into the ocean.

FanST likes this.
  10. Farscape One

Fair points, but a lot of knowledge could have been gained there since the Nox were only encountered a couple times and the Furlings were never encountered.

Now THAT is a big question mark. Where are the Furlings? Did they die out? Go to a different galaxy? Ascend on their own plane of existence?

FanST likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

The writers felt there was no story to tell with the Furlings, which is why we got that joke sequence in 200. Indeed, they were surprised fan interest in them developed to the point it did.

FanST likes this.
  12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I say they should've just had a throwaway line that the Giant Aliens from "The Crystal Skull" were the Furlings and wrapped the whole thing up.

FanST likes this.
  13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Spirits aliens fit better. Super powerful benevolent aliens appearing as animal spirits.

FanST likes this.
  14. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Perhaps they were named in homage to Rae Lambert's Furlings or it's a producers' in-joke along the same lines to which we are not privy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Forest

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  15. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Woolsey grew on me. I really liked him by the end. I agree about Sheppard and Teyla though. It just seemed so logical that they'd just move in together or something, with Teyla putting candles and stuff in Sheppard's bachelor pad.:lol: In the continuation novels they finally do get together, but in the show it should've happened. And if people don't like the Will They/Won't They scenario, the "hooking up after a stressful mission" thing always works. That's personally what I like to imagine happening (in my "head canon"). They nearly die on a mission, or something really traumatic happens, and they just end up taking comfort in each other and it gets physical. And then afterwards it's not weird, it's like "Okay, we should've done that years ago."

Maybe it was a personal thing with the actors, or maybe the writers just didn't want to go down that road and resisted it.

16. The Wormhole

Teyla's pregnancy did come about as a result of plans changing. Originally, the fourth season was going to develop McKay's relationship with that one he was going to propose to in the Quarantine a lot more, to the point where he was going to get her pregnant. But then, when Rachel Luttrel herself got pregnant, the writers decided to give Teyla the pregnancy storyline instead and I guess they felt a previously unseen Athosian boyfriend made more sense than suddenly shacking up with Sheppard or Ronon.

Jedman67 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nobody cared. Figured there would be backlash due to their resemblance to Ewoks ;)

18. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I don't think it would've been sudden, though. All they would've had to do is show an instance of Sheppard and Teyla hooking up, and everyone on Atlantis would've gone "Finally!" There was more than one reference to it written in the show already, and the characters' rapport was solid. I think someone in the writers room was just determined to not go there. "Can't they just be friends? They work together. They don't need to BE together. Let's not be that show. Instead, have them form a beautiful friendship," etc.

I don't remember exactly how the novels did it, but Sheppard was basically babysitting the kid all the time Teyla was offworld anyway, sleeping in her quarters, and it naturally happened. The only thing that felt forced was that they had to find a way to work in Teyla's baby daddy. Which wouldn't have been an issue if the show hadn't randomly created him.

19. Farscape One

I actually preferred Sheppard and Teyla NOT be together simply because it has become a cliche in tv.

And it reinforces the idea that opposite sexes CAN be really close friends and not go the 'together' route.

20. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

I am a huge fan of Atlantis and SG1. I gave universe a try but I could not get into it, especially the transferring of people into others bodies. Sure they used it a slight bit in SG1 but in universe it became an important part of the story.

SG1 by far my fav. Own all the seasons on DVD, watched every episode 10x. The chemistry between the cast was amazing and Richard Dean Anderson was just terrific. I call myself more of a Trek fan but I miss SG1 the most.

I came to SG1 unlike most fans. I got hooked on Atlantis and then started watching SG1, which was already in season 8. Took me quite a while to catch up.

FanST and Romulan_spy like this.