Stargate

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bajorangirl, Aug 10, 2018.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got the opportunity to revisit the film recently. Despite being different from the show I really love the world building and the huge level of detail given. Ra is sufficiently menacing and yet mysterious, fulfilling his villian role very well. I think that Kurt Russel as O'Neil (1 L. No sense of humor) is my favorite character now that I am older.

And, as much as I absolutely enjoy the show (one of my favorite scifi series of all time) I do wonder what a sequel to the film would have looked like if Emmerich had continued on.

FanST likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Been re-watching Stargate Atlantis recently. Forgot how good that show was. Especially McKay's character.
    The show had great science fiction stories and arcs with just the right amount of humour. I also loved that the show wasn't shy with their pop culture references. I watched one recently where McKay tries to keep his sister away from Sheppard, calling him "Kirk". :)

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then there's this fun reference from the first season

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  4. thribs

The show is full of them. I liked this one that I was arched recently:

DrCorby, ATimson, lurok and 1 other person like this.
  5. Happenstance

Happenstance Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love Stargate. SG1 was amazing with Atlantis close behind. I thought Universe was ok but maybe wasn't what I was really looking for in Stargate.

It's going to be interesting to see if these revival rumours end up going anywhere. Chris Judge seems to be one of the ones hinting at an announcement soon so you have to assume it would include at least some of the original cast.

FanST likes this.
  6. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope that a new show will be full length episodes and be professionally produced for TV, not some cheap web series like Origins was. It was fun to get some more stargate but I want real Stargate not fanfic.

FanST and Happenstance like this.
  7. Happenstance

I do wonder what I would want from a new series. I was saying this to someone else the other day but part of what drew me to Stargate was the fact that we were using present day technology and were the underdogs. It's understandable that the show had to grow with that stuff, I mean acquiring new technology was one of their main objectives but now that they have it, it just makes things a bit less interesting I guess.

FanST likes this.
  8. Romulan_spy

There are lots of options. You could always do a clean reboot of SG1 of course. I personally don't like the reboot idea. I feel like we've had too many reboots of shows as it is. Let's tell future stories instead of trying to just retell old stories!

My personal preference would be to just have a show about Stargate Command building a new base in a previous unexplored galaxy. The show would focus on a new SG1 team that would go out from this base to explore this new galaxy. Of course, they would encounter human civilizations that are descendant of the Ancients when they populated this galaxy with life a long time ago. And this new SGC would face threats as well. Having a new galaxy would be a great opportunity to be creative and come up with new aliens etc...

FanST likes this.
  9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You basically just described Stargate Atlantis...

Robert April likes this.
  10. Happenstance

What if instead of that then a group of humans got stuck on a space ship galaxies away which they couldn't really control and it was a massive struggle just to survive?

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Now that's much better. Totally original in every way! ;)

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I was never into Stargate when it first aired, but a few years ago I bought a couple of cheap boxsets to see what like it was and ended up getting the whole lot. I go against the grain in that I'm not a fan of O'Neill, I think the show got better with Ben Browder leading. SGA I really enjoyed. But my favourite by far was Universe, it had so much potential!

FanST likes this.
  13. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've been doing a re watch and I'm on series 5 at the moment and Mckay is still my favourite character

14. Romulan_spy

What's wrong with that? Atlantis was a good show with a good premise. Doing something similar would not be all that bad. Second, while I did describe a very similar premise, there could still be some subtle differences that would make it a different show. For one, I said it would feature a SGC type base on a planet. I am thinking of the base with metal barracks or tents like the base in the SG1 ep "death knell". Having a make shift base on the ground would be very different than having an uber powerful flying city ship like Atlantis. With a base on the ground, they would be stationary and would not have all the uber weapons of Atlantis. So that would be a key difference. My show would take place in another galaxy like Atlantis did but would feel much more like SG1 with the team gating back to a very human built ground base. Also, the enemy would be different which would obviously change the show too.

15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I hope they continue in the same SG1 universe, and not another reboot/ remake/ prequel, we have enough of those shows

Romulan_spy likes this.
  16. thribs

A fan of Universe? That’s a new one.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  17. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

In all honesty, I'd be completely down for something along the lines of Stargate: Atlantis But Good.

18. Happenstance

I just worry that if they tried something like Atlantis again now they would feel the need to make it too gritty.

OCD Geek likes this.
  19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Ah, in that case what we're talking about is DS9. ;)

Seriously though, for me the main appeal of each of the SG series' hasn't been the setting or the premise it's the characters. SG-1 had an almost perfect dynamic between the principle characters, while SGA was a little more uneven with McKay being the only one that was consistently entertaining.

SGU was (by design) an almost entirely different beast from the other two, not because of the setting but because of the tone, style and type of material they were tapping into. Mostly leaning on much more mature themes and interpersonal issues than either of the two previous shows could ever even get close to.
    As a result it was a mixed bag because the "need" for almost constant personal drama and tension meant that certain characters were just plain unlikable, others were inconsistent, and one or two that really should have just been killed off and have done with it.
    I say this by the way as someone that very much enjoyed SGU, despite it's many flaws. I honestly think that had it got a third season, it would have finally found it's stride, but unfortunately it rather squandered it's chance. I have no inside knowledge so I'm not saying is was necessarily the case but I got the impression that the show was trying just a little bit too hard to follow in footsteps of the likes of 'Lost' and BSG. It was always better when the show was allowed to just be itself.

So for a new show, I would like to see a delivery on the promise that SGU showed. The setting doesn't matter all that much: a continuation of the Stargate Command story in the Milky-way, a second show set in Pegasus, or some expedition out into the universe (maybe following the path of the Destiny, with the thousands of unused gates the seed ships left in their wake.) It makes no real difference. I just want good, well written characters and entertaining stories.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    FanST likes this.
  20. thribs

How dare you! :)